Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David's going Dairying.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

tanko wrote: »
    What will be going in the other half of the shed from the milking parlour?

Drafting area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sitting room including beer fridge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Handling facilities and a drafting crush in a few years.

:D I'd never have to worry about drink driving the morning after.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Man shed?:D bit draughty though:pac: Needs a stove.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Man shed?:D bit draughty though:pac: Needs a stove.

Could be done

538856.jpg

538857.jpg

538858.jpg

Making good progress in the last few days

More images

538862.jpg

538863.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

davidk1394 wrote: »
    More images

Nice, pity to dirty it now with cows!

More images

Good stuff lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Tileman

When do have it finished up for David. When is the first calving due

Are u missing the lambing this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Tileman wrote: »
    When do have it finished up for David. When is the first calving due

Are u missing the lambing this year?

Did you like the sheep David? Just too little return is it compared to dairy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

538856.jpg

538857.jpg

538858.jpg

Making good progress in the last few days

It will be some job when it’s finished

Did you like the sheep David? Just too little return is it compared to dairy?

I liked the sheep and I still have a handful knocking around the place. I don't think they'll never fully go ! There is 3 of working on the farm and I was contracting. It worked well because I had very little living expenses but I knew if I decided to build a house or start a family there wasn't going to be enough money there. My parents are in there early 60's and there is physical work involved in sheep even though we have good facilities. So it was on the cards something had to change.

When I came back from Australia I decided to buy heifer calves with the money I had and make a plan to go at cows and if the plan didn't work out at least I can sell the heifers. What really put the ball rolling was getting a job offer to go out to Saudi Arabia to the dairy farms. That's when we made the decision collectively that now is the time to make the change or forget about it.

My parents are a massive help throughout this project. My mother did a lot of the paper work for the land transfer, banks, changing over the herd no. My father was helping at the contracting and then day to day work, his gifted at fencing and handling stock, spotting if an animal is off form, these things all helped getting us to where we are now. I'm really looking forward to seeing the first row of cows going into the parlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I liked the sheep and I still have a handful knocking around the place. I don't think they'll never fully go ! There is 3 of working on the farm and I was contracting. It worked well because I had very little living expenses but I knew if I decided to build a house or start a family there wasn't going to be enough money there. My parents are in there early 60's and there is physical work involved in sheep even though we have good facilities. So it was on the cards something had to change.

When I came back from Australia I decided to buy heifer calves with the money I had and make a plan to go at cows and if the plan didn't work out at least I can sell the heifers. What really put the ball rolling was getting a job offer to go out to Saudi Arabia to the dairy farms. That's when we made the decision collectively that now is the time to make the change or forget about it.

My parents are a massive help throughout this project. My mother did a lot of the paper work for the land transfer, banks, changing over the herd no. My father was helping at the contracting and then day to day work, his gifted at fencing and handling stock, spotting if an animal is off form, these things all helped getting us to where we are now. I'm really looking forward to seeing the first row of cows going into the parlor.

Best of luck with everything in your first year milking. A good parlour makes milking a pleasure when the cows are settled and trained in. You won’t regret putting in the feeders either

539588.jpg
    539587.jpg

Another important delivery today. We still have another 18 days until the first heifer is due. The parlor is installed. Wiring and plumbing is going ahead next week. The 3 phase should be installed the middle of February.

539588.jpg
    539587.jpg

Another important delivery today. We still have another 18 days until the first heifer is due. The parlor is installed. Wiring and plumbing is going ahead next week. The 3 phase should be installed the middle of February.

You just have to fill it now

Reggie. wrote: »
    You just have to fill it now

Hopefully in a few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farm-fragmentation-and-lameness-pushed-me-to-go-oad-milking/

Just came across this regarding a lad OAD milking. 635 margin per cow on 4400 litres at high solids

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

An option but tad is still economically better. Know lads giving 1400 litres more on the same percentages, even here with a young herd I sent in 100kg more ms than that, costs higher but not enough to negate the extra 100kgs/ ms sold

• Advertisement

Looking for a few opinions. What wash down pump do people have for washing down parlors or yards. It'll be a 40mm pipe and I have the choice of single phase or 3 phase. Would I be better off putting in a wash down pump with or without a pressure vessel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looking for a few opinions. What wash down pump do people have for washing down parlors or yards. It'll be a 40mm pipe and I have the choice of single phase or 3 phase. Would I be better off putting in a wash down pump with or without a pressure vessel ?

There's no pressure vessel on the volume washer here. Just a straight pump with a pressure switch after.
    It's a single phase and I think 1.5hp. Works away fine bar you might have to press the reset button on the pressure switch an odd time and then change the capacitor whenever that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A holding tank before the washer. Depends on the set up but water from a plate cooler could be reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

With a lot of natural light in the parlour you will get moss, consider adding chlorine to the wash down water.

The first heifer to calf and she had 2 heifer calves :D The parlor is nearly ready and 3 phase is going in Tuesday. A lot of time and dedication to getting to where we are today but it was worth it all.

542038.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The first heifer to calf and she had 2 heifer calves :D The parlor is nearly ready and 3 phase is going in Tuesday. A lot of time and dedication to getting to where we are today but it was worth it all.

Beginners luck

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Best of luck with it all

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the luck will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Delighted for you David and you have two replacement heifers already. I'm looking forward to the pics of the first row in the parlour.

Advertisement