Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White runners and skinny jeans

• 09-04-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the deal is with this trend.
    Why are skinny jeans fashionable for men.
    And those white runners/vans/sneakers.
    Why.

Genuinely don't get it.
    And guys with ankles showing with either no socks or tiny white ankle socks.
    Again why.

Each to their own etc but it immediately says something to me about that person.

Also, nose rings on women.

Some really interesting psychology there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

its the seinfeld look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Why.

Genuinely don't get it.
    Again why.

Each to their own etc but it immediately says something to me about that person.

Fashion trend and peer pressure. Happens ever generation and/or decades.

Right now its skinny pants, not covering ankles , with no socks showing. And the exact same fade hair cut on every single dude under 25.

Weird seeing gangs of lads because they all look the exact same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Trainers andleggings seem to be work wear now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I wear white jeans and skinny runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

kids these days I tell ya.
    eeeh by gum, back in my day we were down mineshaft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That's Leo Varadkars Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vincent van Gogh

Pretty much the trend everywhere it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The fat lads walking around like Gru with the skinny jeans and no socks need to stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Jaysus the wind would take the ankles off ya. Luckily yer nuts would be inside you thanks to the skinny jeans so they would be safe at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Why.

Genuinely don't get it.
    Again why.

I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' anymore and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Why.

Genuinely don't get it.
    Again why.

Pretty sure there's already a thread about this but anyways...

Because they generally look good and are comfy. I wear stretch skinny jeans and slim and straight cut jeans. Anyone wearing bootcut... well that's your business I guess.

I don't do the ankle showing thing though, Ankle socks should be worn if one is wearing shorts but after that it's up to you.

And the not wearing socks at all thing is manky IMO and will ruin your shoe/boots etc because sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Because they look good and are comfy. I wear stretch skinny jeans and straight cut jeans. Anyone wearing bootcut... well that's your business I guess.

I don't do the ankle showing thing though, Ankle socks should be worn if one is wearing shorts but after that it's up to you.

And the not wearing socks at all thing is manky IMO and will ruin your shoe/boots etc because sweat.

I don't wear skinny, straight cut usually. How do people actually wear skinny? I bulge like **** wearing slim....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Imagine being so out of touch with reality that you think tight pants are a new trend, even though theyve been popular as far as the 15th century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Fair amount of auld fellas in here waving their canes at young people. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Classic 80s look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Look at all the young lads wearing women's jeans.... Now that's somthing, skinny as **** on the legs and baggy on the arse, that's the give away they are wearing ladies denim.

I suppose it's better then wearing the highly desirable fashionable grey track suit bottoms, white socks with hands in pockets trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Because they generally look good and are comfy. I wear stretch skinny jeans and straight cut jeans. Anyone wearing bootcut... well that's your business I guess.

Completely disagree that they look good, maybe on some guys but very few. the vast majority of guys wearing them do not carry them off. And I really can't see how they can be comfy, especially with some of the guys wearing them, they look like they're wearing a scuba suit from the waist down.

I wear boot cut jeans sometimes due to my feet being size 14 and me being 6ft 4, they just look like normal jeans on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

The socks are comfortable. skinny jeans though I can't wear, do these people have no leg muscles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

caff wrote: »
    The socks are comfortable. skinny jeans though I can't wear, do these people have no leg muscles?

no coz their either ****ers who are just bone or fat ****ers who are just flab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Skinny jeans are ok if your a lad with a weak looking physique

They look awful on anyone that has a bit of muscle or even a shade overweight

Slim jeans or even the stretch denim that isn't skin tight are nice and tidy tbf tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When you want to "get into her pants", that isn't what is meant.

jiltloop wrote: »
    Completely disagree that they look good, maybe on some guys but very few. the vast majority of guys wearing them do not carry them off. And I really can't see how they can be comfy, especially with some of the guys wearing them, they look like they're wearing a scuba suit from the waist down.

I wear boot cut jeans sometimes due to my feet being size 14 and me being 6ft 4, they just look like normal jeans on me.

Stretch denim.

Ridiculously comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

caff wrote: »

Skinny jeans are made worse when if u have chicken legs...amazing how some of these lads can stand up straight and walk with those chop sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I wear skinny jeans and white runners quite frequently. I'm not male though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Great thing about fashion is if you don't like it you can wear something else,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Because they generally look good and are comfy. I wear stretch skinny jeans and slim and straight cut jeans. Anyone wearing bootcut... well that's your business I guess.

But do they look good.
    I genuinely think they are not flattering at all.

Would you agree it's a fashion. In the sense of "everyone else does it, so may as well wear them".

Can you explain aesthetically why they appeal to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is just my take on it. When I was a teenager in the mid 2000's guys had various styles. Some were current, others weren't, there was the gay lad who stood out and the guys dressed by their mothers.
    Now local all I see is skinny black Jean's or skinny tracksuit with black runners who also are used for school and it's the height of fashion but in my opinion it's boring looking. Everybody is the same.
    When I was in my teens if you wouldn't dream of wearing black runners that you wore in school. One lad did go sick free in school but he was to lazy to get dressed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Why.

Genuinely don't get it.
    Again why.

Nothing wrong with a piercing or three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I spent my primary school years trying to "fit in" but it never worked for me. In secondary (2nd year) I went the complete opposite way and it was the best thing I ever did. It gave me more confidence that I could ever have wished for. Fvck trends and looking the same as everyone else. I'm with those who say that every young lad looks the exact same with this fade hairstyle and a huge fringe coming down over their forehead.

If they're not wearing their school uniform they're wearing their casual uniform i.e. the exact same as everyone with them. There seems to be no such thing in that generation of being yourself and standing out.

As the saying goes - be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oh and I also hate this trend of beards. Fvck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Stretch denim.

Ridiculously comfortable.

Unfortunately they don't stretch enough for me :pac:

I tried them before and my calves were struggling to get through the thigh part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Skinny jeans are made worse when if u have chicken legs...amazing how some of these lads can stand up straight and walk with those chop sticks.

Gawd, we get it. You lads are massive beefcakes. Your legs are so muscly they wouldn't fit in the skinny boy jeans let alone your massive micky.

These threads are always cringy to watch. People who don't follow a fashion thinking it's clever to whinge about people who do.

Gawd, we get it. You lads are massive beefcakes. Your legs are so muscly they wouldn't fit in the skinny boy jeans let alone your massive micky.

These threads are always grungy to watch. People who don't follow a fashion thinking it's clever to whinge about people who do.

My legs are what you may call muscular, certainly not skinny anyways and I find the stretch denim to be grand.

Think it's more just a hang up about them as a fashion piece these days. Just because you wear skinny jeans doesn't mean you're a hipster wanker.

I mean, Phil Lynott, the ultimate mans man, wore skinny jeans and most of the 80's thrash metal bands did too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As defined by the International Court of Crimes against Fashion in The Hague.

kowloon wrote: »
    As defined by the International Court of Crimes against Fashion in The Hague.

What?

But do they look good.
    I genuinely think they are not flattering at all.

Would you agree it's a fashion. In the sense of "everyone else does it, so may as well wear them".

Can you explain aesthetically why they appeal to you.

Looks cleaner, a tapered jean is much better aesthetically than bootcut for example. Just looks neater.

It doesn't even have to be skinny skinny jeans; slim fit is just as good looking IMO and a good halfway house.

• Advertisement

These threads are always grungy to watch. People who don't follow a fashion thinking it's clever to whinge about people who do.

I think it's the people who have fooled themselves into thinking somehow the old fashions were stupid but fashion 'has it right' this time that baffle me. If you go to efforts to follow the current trends you need to accept that you're going to be buying a lot of clothes to keep up with it and in 20 years you'll have to either laugh or cry at the photos of it all.

Either way, getting too judgemental about how people dress is best left behind in the playground.
    What?

Was referring to the ankle socks only with shorts 'rule', should have trimmed down the quote.

I can get people following trends and I may not all like them but if you do follow them. You should follow them correctly.
    For example.
    If your going for the no socks look i generally doesn't look good with your school shoes or with a rented black suit/shoes that you'd wear at a funeral.

I think it's the people who have fooled themselves into thinking somehow the old fashions were stupid but fashion 'has it right' this time that baffle me. If you go to efforts to follow the current trends you need to accept that you're going to be buying a lot of clothes to keep up with it and in 20 years you'll have to either laugh or cry at the photos of it all.

Either way, getting too judgemental about how people dress is best left behind in the playground.

Was referring to the ankle socks only with shorts 'rule', should have trimmed down the quote.

Well it's not a rule as such but it looks much better than wearing regular socks with shorts which frankly looks awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

frosty123 wrote: »
    Classic 80s look

Marty McFly

I can get people following trends and I may not all like them but if you do follow them. You should follow them correctly.
    For example.
    If your going for the no socks look i generally doesn't look good with your school shoes or with a rented black suit/shoes that you'd wear at a funeral.

I'm not sure about that Popcorn. It might become the new 'in thing' that someone will be saying looks stupid in a decade or two. The only real constraint on these things is practicality, ankle socks and flimsy shoes aren't great for hiking and PVC trousers don't hold up well if they make contact with a hot bike exhaust (as happened to someone I was giving a lift to quite a few years ago).
    Boots make sense on a bike even if everyone else is wearing sandals, ans so on.
    Well it's not a rule as such but it looks much better than wearing regular socks with shorts which frankly looks awful

And that might make sense as seen from a general trend, but what looks awful shifts constantly. Myself, I'm hoping my general look of 'homeless guy from the 70s' has its day in the sun ;).

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about that Popcorn. It might become the new 'in thing' that someone will be saying looks stupid in a decade or two. The only real constraint on these things is practicality, ankle socks and flimsy shoes aren't great for hiking and PVC trousers don't hold up well if they make contact with a hot bike exhaust (as happened to someone I was giving a lift to quite a few years ago).

It's just my opinion that the no socks look is in some situations and not in others and some people can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's just fashion. I don't really invest nuch of my personality in my clothes so I font care one way or the other. I used to wear boot cut jeans in the 2000s because there were loads of them about. I bought jeans 2 weekends ago.and they were the fitted stretchy ones you get loads of these days.

I neither love nor hate fashion trends. I couldn't give tup for fashion. The number of threads whinging about young lads wearing skinny jeans and pop socks/no socks, is genuinely fascinating.

The time old boys have to give out about young lads who are doing nothing wrong except wearing a fashion that old boys don't like, is amazing.

And that might make sense as seen from a general trend, but what looks awful shifts constantly. Myself, I'm hoping my general look of 'homeless guy from the 70s' has its day in the sun ;).

No general trend it just looks better. If you're wearing regular socks with shorts you kinda look ridiculous.

It's almost akin to wearing socks with sandals.

This is why ankle socks with shorts are great and it is more or less their original purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I automatically fancy any woman with the side of their nose pierced. No idea why, just really does it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

3xo44.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have quite thin legs. Slim fit jeans are regular to me. I also have skinny chinos, which fit me like slim fit. I can wear normal runners with the slim fit but I would always wear Vans or shoes with the skinny chinos because regular runners would look silly. And always socks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Skinny jeans are really comfortable, they look nice and can be dressed up or worn casual. What is not to love about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

As a woman in my 30s, the skinny jeans/no socks look is just an indicator that a man is too young for me!!!!

They look grand on people of a certain age.

Skinny jeans are really comfortable, they look nice and can be dressed up or worn casual. What is not to love about them?

Paul Galvin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Whatever about skinny jeans, but I laugh when I see young lads wearing skinny tracksuit bottoms!

I can't really comment though. I used to wear doc martens, long flowery dresses and the wrong shade of Constance Carroll makeup back in the 90's :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement