Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike parts from US

Options
  • 09-04-2019 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

....just looking at getting a bike part(a seat) from US - anyone done this lately ? Just wondering how the Customs/VAT postage went -debating if it's worth it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....just looking at getting a bike part(a seat) from US - anyone done this lately ? Just wondering how the Customs/VAT postage went -debating if it's worth it.

Depends on the value I got cot out buying electrical stuff for the bike,was cheep till I had to pay vat

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

My local postie advised me never to buy from the USA, from a customs point of view.
    I had to pay tax recently for a cheap part from China which is probably going to sit on a shelf forever.
    It's the chance you take with eBay and similar, once you go outside the eurozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I've never been caught with stuff from china ( ive said it now..:rolleyes:..) think the customs are more anal about stuff from the states tho...what seat is it off..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I bought genuine Suzuki handguards from the US late last year, between purchasing/shipping/customs etc it all came to €70, the same ones here were €130. Plus the lights for the luggage boxes came from Canada, again even with the taxes i saved a nice bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought some Racetech fork springs for my MSX, ebay they were $93 and the postage was $18 and the added on bit here was €34.
    Still cheaper than buying a set from the UK @ well over 100 stg and they may not have had the exact spring rate I needed.
    If you can buy them cheaply enough its worthwhile if not buy in the EU if available.
    Sometimes the parts just aren't in Europe and you have to go to the US.

• Advertisement

Anyone experience with addresspal from the state's...good or bad.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Good if its under the threshold for customs payment.
    If not its the same as An Post adding 10 handling+customs.
    In saying that I have been royally screwed by a number of US based delivery companies like Fedex etc or their agents here.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Good if its under the threshold for customs payment.
    If not its the same as An Post adding 10 handling+customs.
    In saying that I have been royally screwed by a number of US based delivery companies like Fedex etc or their agents here.

An Post are fine for delivery charges, DHL have screwed me alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

So we have to pay VAT on the customs duty...talk about a double dip...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I’ve never paid more than €2 VAT on imports :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Indeed: a €131 dollar saddle is going to cost over €200 all-in it seems. Cheaper to buy it here.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

The missus has used them maybe 5 times for stuff from bath&body works in the US, only been done once for customs so it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It really depends on what you're buying, and it's cost.

I was looking at getting some fairings in from the US and with all the additional costs, VAT, Customs, Insurance and all that it simply was far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Ive used the addresspal from the US, its pot luck in my experience of getting extra charges.
    Ive been caught once and thats over about a dozen parcels from there. I got a set of cobra footboards for $50 (2nd hand but really good nic), address pal charge €20 and the charges, another €20. Saved a fortune compared to trying to get them here

Id recommend it as it can save on US shipping charges and if they come direct from the north america, in my experience - you'll get caught out there instead more often.

Biggest Item was a touring screen for a Valkyrie Interstate as the one on the bike was in **** with scratches. Paid $60 shipped to the addresspal, just the address pal fees and no import duty so saved a fortune there aswell

Advertisement