Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Word 2016 - Making it type new word correctly?

Options
  • 10-04-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I've added a new word to Word's dictionary.

It's a French name which has an accent.

The first time I typed it, I went to Insert/Symbol and added the accented 'e' manually.

When the red line appeared under it, I right-clicked and chose "Add to dictionary".

However, when I typed the name again further down the document, it doesn't have the accent over the 'e'.

I have to copy/paste the first usage, or Insert/Symbol again.

Oddly, when I type the name without the accent, a red line doesn't appear under it, even though it is only the proper spelling I have added to the dictionary!

How can I make Word retype the word as I have added it to the dictionary?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Adding word with "special" symbols to dictionary ensures that word will be accepted if you type it with "special" symbol. It does not correct word if you type without that symbol.

What you looking for is Auto Correction.

Go File>Options>Proofing>AutoCorrect Options... , fill in Replace: and With: fields and click Add, OK, OK

Be aware, that from now on Berenice will be corrected to Bérénice even if you wanted to spell it as Berenice. To overcome this you can press Ctrl+Z - auto correction will be removed for that one instance. You can always edit auto correction list to add, edit or remove words/symbols as needed.

477491.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Brilliant!

Thanks!

D.

Advertisement