Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC's sold to Dunnes Stores

• 10-04-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

So i heard that JC's has been sold to Dunnes Stores and staff were told yesterday of their redundancy.

Shame really as it’s been an institution of Swords for the past 42 years but Dunnes probably saw the new housing developments springing up over in Millers Glen etc. and saw potential.

Hopefully the staff get re-employed by Dunnes.

Some memories...
    https://www.dailyedge.ie/jc-savages-supermarket-swords-2611325-Feb2016/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Do you have a link to an online annoucnement of it or have they not gone public yet about it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is this a joke? That link won't load for me but it has "Feb2016" in it.

Why would JCs have done all those renovations in the last year if they were planning to sell?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

selassie wrote: »
    Do you have a link to an online annoucnement of it or have they not gone public yet about it?

Nothing official - came from a friends mother who works there.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Is this a joke? That link won't load for me but it has "Feb2016" in it.

Why would JCs have done all those renovations in the last year if they were planning to sell?

That link is an article from The Journal about all the quirkiness.

Renovations = bigger return on sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

PCros wrote: »
    Nothing official - came from a friends mother who works there.

My wife's friend from work, her sisters mother works there she hasn't heard anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've heard that Dunnes own the new cafe going in

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Can't see anything on their Twitter feed, hopefully it's false as I dislike Dunnes

If it's true, I'm really sad to hear it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My wife's friend from work, her sisters mother works there she hasn't heard anything about it.

Ah yeah Mary...nice woman.

Ah yeah Mary...nice woman.

That's her she will be devastated

• Advertisement

Actually now that you mention that I did hear ages ago that Dunnes were behind that...could be incorrect though.

Website even got a revamp, which would seem particularly unnecessary under the circumstances.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

that's a shame if true.

I loved JCs - dunnes booze just isn't the same.
    I had thought something was amiss the jam/pineapple cakes had gone down in quality in recent months.

JC took sold produce from many local producers...I'm not sure Dunnes will keep that up....hopefully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I also really hope this isn't true, you'd never get someone shouting down the public address system "We've got wine on special, €6 for Australian wine...from Australia!" in Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

paw patrol wrote: »
    I had thought something was amiss the jam/pineapple cakes had gone down in quality in recent months.

When the quality of pineapple cakes go down, you know a business is in trouble!! :D:D

JCs were on a business improvement TV show a few years back (not long before JC sadly passed away) where they got expert advice on how to improve their store/product/customer service etc but I think within months, they were back to their old bad habits again - cluttered aisles, unattended customer service desks etc.

Does anyone remember their robotic bag packing system that they installed on a a few tills? I was young enough but I'd say it was in the mid to late 90's.

I just remember all the items going down the belt and falling into the bags arseways. I don't think the system lasted more than 6 months. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

what's going to happen the Spanish Wine from Spain?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

I used to love JCs when we lived in Swords. Don't go there so much recently but I remember their announcements, they were hilarious. "Get your tray of Budweiser for 10 Euro, only catch it has to be consumed by midnight tonight". "Half price leg of lamb from our butcher's counter, left leg or right leg". It would be a terrible shame to see it gone. It's been an institution in Swords for so long.

ongarboy wrote: »
    When the quality of pineapple cakes go down, you know a business is in trouble!! :D:D
    you know it...:pac:

dunno what I was thinking last night though - it's jam/coconut cake..

asked a staff member last night and they knew nothing about it yet

I also just now asked a supervisor and he denied it. 100% untrue he said.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can't imagine it's true. I know there have been a few more redundancies, but they've put so much money and effort into the makeover and the managers and family are extremely excited about the future of the store. It's probably a case of Chinese Whispers.

Could possibly be and I'll put my hands up if this turns out to be untrue but I doubt a member of staff is going to divulge those details to a total stranger on the shop floor.

I asked again and apparently management were given packages whilst floor staff are going via TUPE transfer.

Could possibly be and I'll put my hands up if this turns out to be untrue but I doubt a member of staff is going to divulge those details to a total stranger on the shop floor.

I asked again and apparently management were given packages whilst floor staff are going via TUPE transfer.

I spoke to a lad today whose wife works there. nothing has been mentioned to them.

jam/coconut cake was decent today, so all is good in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Odelay

I don’t know if one case where dunes took over another store. Anyway, the way retail is going, it’s more are looking to close stores rather than open new stores.

The other thing that occurs is that Dunnes have just spent a lot of money fancying up their Pavilions branch. Why would they buy another in Swords?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭micks_address

The other thing that occurs is that Dunnes have just spent a lot of money fancying up their Pavilions branch. Why would they buy another in Swords?

I'd say they have the business to keep two locations and getting into the pavilions can be painful with traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

To stop a competitor buying it ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Odelay wrote: »
    I don’t know if one case where dunes took over another store. Anyway, the way retail is going, it’s more are looking to close stores rather than open new stores.

Food retail and other-retail are totally different in this regard. Excluding Tesco's retraction (one of the Dun Laoghaire stores, Ballymun, Mulhuddart and maybe some more) it is extremely rare for a food multiple to close multiple branches and there is no macroeconomic reason for them to do so. People always need to eat and online food shopping has not taken off to any great extent.

Other retail, clothes specifically, is in bits currently. Books and music have already gone through the wringer and may be recovering to a new norm - at a fraction of what they were.

Ben Dunne needs to come back, Dunnes have fell apart he left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Some People are defo getting out on packages, how many I don't know but certainly some at management level, that was confirmed to me.

Advertisement