Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC's sold to Dunnes Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

So an inside source has said that they are keeping it as JC's for the time being. Dunnes vouchers will be accepted within the first week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mmcdona

I have JC’s Saving stamps as I always save them for my Christmas shopping. I wonder will they be honored by Dunnes. The stamps are still on sale today.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Mmcdona wrote: »
    I have JC’s Saving stamps as I always save them for my Christmas shopping. I wonder will they be honored by Dunnes. The stamps are still on sale today.

I can’t see them having a problem with that. Dunnes are usually pretty good at that type of thing eg. Honouring shop & save that expired during red warnings etc.

Also, since it’s more of a merger as opposed to Jc’s being bought out of administration there shouldn’t be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's just been cleared by the CCPC. Although they haven't updated the link yet!

https://www.ccpc.ie/business/mergers-acquisitions/merger-notifications/m-19-022-dunnes-stores-jc-savage/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lux23 wrote: »
    It's just been cleared by the CCPC. Although they haven't updated the link yet!

https://www.ccpc.ie/business/mergers-acquisitions/merger-notifications/m-19-022-dunnes-stores-jc-savage/

No surprise there it hardly represents a the formation of a massive anti-competitive supermarket chain!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Intriguing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's interesting! So hopefully they'll still stock much of the same products :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Good news seemingly.

I had a chat in there with a few people today and they are in the process of putting up a new JC's sign, so the information in this thread seems to be bang on, we will have a Dunne's store trading as JC's for the foreseeable future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

That's a bit bizarre ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

That's a bit bizarre ...

Goodwill and a well-established local brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep, nice PR move by Dunnes.

It'll be well received by the public and media that Dunnes (and Irish brand) has chosen to keep an iconic Irish store and one of the last few independent stores, especially against the monolithic and unfeeling likes of Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.

Very solid strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Always said supervalu should have done that with superquinn

Or supervalu at superquinn or vice versa, especially as they kept the superquinn Sausages and I think coleslaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

jeffk wrote: »
    Always said supervalu should have done that with superquinn

Or supervalu at superquinn or vice versa, especially as they kept the superquinn Sausages and I think coleslaw

And Seans brown bread :)

Was talking to one of the shop assistant s just now and she said that it is only staying as JC’s for a few months and then changing over but perhaps they have not been fully informed yet. The newsagent is closing at close of business today and had literally no stock left at 5.30pm today

Was talking to one of the shop assistant s just now and she said that it is only staying as JC’s for a few months and then changing over but perhaps they have not been fully informed yet. The newsagent is closing at close of business today and had literally no stock left at 5.30pm today

I saw that, they were literally giving stock away from the newsagents. Saw a few Dunnes people wandering around also.

I really can’t see them keeping the Jc’s name unfortunately, especially not in the long term. They probably just can’t justify revamping again to a dunnes fit out since it is literally still ongoing as jc’s.

I saw that, they were literally giving stock away from the newsagents. Saw a few Dunnes people wandering around also.

I really can’t see them keeping the Jc’s name unfortunately, especially not in the long term. They probably just can’t justify revamping again to a dunnes fit out since it is literally still ongoing as jc’s.

They just put up a brand new JC's sign, so I would imagine it will keep that name for some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Goodwill and a well-established local brand.

Goodwill me eye. They bought it to stop tesco or S/V buying it. They have plans for it,and I can assure you goodwill doesnt come into it. They are ruthless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Goodwill me eye. They bought it to stop tesco or S/V buying it. They have plans for it,and I can assure you goodwill doesnt come into it. They are ruthless

'Goodwill' in a business context primarily refers to the value arising from the historic loyalty and attitude of the customer base and suppliers to the legacy business, not that the takeover entity is doing something out of the goodness of their heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I wonder is the barber shop staying. Got a hair cut in there this morning and have always found it very handy.

Lots of Dunnes products on the shelves when I was there today. :(
    Automatic check outs now asking for Value Club cards too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pinklady09

pinkypinky wrote: »

Good.. did they have Dunne’s coleslaw yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Noticed that over the weekend. It makes you wonder how long they will keep the JCs name.

They only installed a fancy new JCs sign on the new library front a couple of months ago - definitely after the deal was done.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

They only installed a fancy new JCs sign on the new library front a couple of months ago - definitely after the deal was done.
    When Circle K took over Topaz, I remember some of the stations had only just been rebranded as Re:Store, and it was all changed again within a few months.

It even says Dunnes Stores on the receipts now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe the Competitions Authority won't let them change the name? I was in there today and it's like it's neither one nor the other. At this point it would be good if they just changed over fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I lived in swords briefly and went to JC's a couple of times. The whole place has this run down and dirty feel. I was into today and thought it was much better with the new lay out. Was only aware of Dunnes when I saw this post today. The poor libary is really done by. I hope they have a new place for them soon.

• Advertisement

Anybody any idea when the new coffee shop will open which I presume will be Café Sol ?

Advertisement