Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know what? I miss Maplin

Options
  • 10-04-2019 9:00pm

They were expensive as hell but there was somehting to being just able to walkin and buy things like thermal paste?

Can not find mine and want to put in a new-ish processor but nope, no easy shopping. I'll have to trawl to find a repair shop and hope that they sell some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They were expensive as hell but there was somehting to being just able to walkin and buy things like thermal paste?

Can not find mine and want to put in a new-ish processor but nope, no easy shopping. I'll have to trawl to find a repair shop and hope that they sell some.

I was in PC world in Waterford the other day and they had RAM, a GPU, two CPUs and a few fans. There was some thermal paste there as well. Never seen any of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

You're suffering from an acute case of Stockholm syndrome :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maplin were complete and utter ass; many a time I actually gave up trying to buy a thing because they either had no stock, or they flat-out didn't send a guy over to man the bloody tills!

Now, Peats on the other hand were GREAT!
    Actually knowledgeable, friendly, great selection, fair prices.
    I still don't understand how they went under.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Maplin were complete and utter ass; many a time I actually gave up trying to buy a thing because they either had no stock, or they flat-out didn't send a guy over to man the bloody tills!

Peats were great, when I was in Dublin, yeah. Overpriced rental locations didn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You just need to get out of that tarpit and stock up on bits n pieces - it'd be cheaper by a longshot anyway

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    You just need to get out of that tarpit and stock up on bits n pieces - it'd be cheaper by a longshot anyway

Stocking up on random rare use items isn't very lean (I hate lean/agile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Liked browsing Maplin. Rarely bought anything. They were OK for mainstream stuff like external HDDs, but appallingly overpriced for most things.

As in, a 1m HDMI cable for €20. A GPU you could get online for €250, for €800. I remember seeing an R9 390 in there once for €900 in their catalog.

They embraced an ethos of low sales, high yield, rather than the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

They're back but only online. Seems to be free delivery to Ireland but not really sure how competitive the prices might or might not be...

But yes as per the OP I did enjoy an old browse around the shop even if I didn't buy much there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Stocking up on random rare use items isn't very lean (I hate lean/agile)

Worse than i thought - will need professional extraction and deprogramming :p

Go off and buy paste, molex/power crimps, bios tester, psu tester, usb tester etc etc

And buy a barrel of oil.

eg :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Genuine-Engine-Oil-210L-Barrel-5w30-MB-229-51-LowAsh-/113404166958

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

If I remember, they expanded just before the bust leaving them with a bunch of long term leases at stupid high rates. Most landlords at the time refused to revisit pricing, so a lot of companies like Peats had no choice but to close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Currys seem to have a decent selection these days depending on the shop though.

Maplins weren't going to survive on your one purchase of thermal paste lol

their business model was broken and was inefficient to begin with - online exposed them for the thieves that they were.

as said, awful customer service usually also.

glasso wrote: »
    Maplins weren't going to survive on your one purchase of thermal paste lol

I never said that they would/should.
    I said that I miss the convenience of a shop that would have the small things (yes they were insanely priced for stuff)

I never said that they would/should.
    I said that I miss the convenience of a shop that would have the small things (yes they were insanely priced for stuff)

I don't mean to attack you - I just meant that they weren't going to survive on the odd convenience buyer - they didn't have any sort of model that was going to keep them in business.

did the mgt there even try to make a go of it?

I think that they had given up long ago.

glasso wrote: »
    I don't mean to attack you - I just meant that they weren't going to survive on the odd convenience buyer - they didn't have any sort of model that was going to keep them in business.

Agreed on the convenience buyer but I've had problem lately with online operators (amazon in particular but others also). So much so that, for a lot of things, the 10% or so saved on many items is not enough to make me discount the bricks and mortar store.
    Maplin were often multiples of the online cost so were never a runner but if a local store (giving local store service and access) can stay at all within the ball park, I am tending to go with them now.
    Online retailers are carving out monopolies/cartels and prices are rising, while customer service is dropping.

yes, competition is definitely needed and any one entity getting too powerful is not desirable.

not saying that Amazon are perfect - far from it. they are not as "customer-focused" as they once were.

Never mind Maplins. Bring back Peats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Needed thermal paste recently and couldn't find anywhere in Athlone or Galway that sold any now that Maplin is gone. Also recently needed a 6 pin pcie extension cable and same thing bhad to resort to eBay/Amazon for both. I'd have paid the premium for the convenience of not waiting a week!

Needed thermal paste recently and couldn't find anywhere in Athlone or Galway that sold any now that Maplin is gone. Also recently needed a 6 pin pcie extension cable and same thing bhad to resort to eBay/Amazon for both. I'd have paid the premium for the convenience of not waiting a week!

It's the week that is killing me. Factor in that I have to purchase over €25 to make the delivery free...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Honestly surprised they didn't close sooner. Their prices were a disgrace, their staff knew literally nothing, they never had anyone on the tills, they never had anything in stock that you were actually willing to over pay for. I used to go into Maplin literally only to see what something looked like before I bought it elsewhere.

• Advertisement

yes but there aren't enough people willing to pay the premium for a store to have all sorts of (for most people) niche items stored in stock.

realistically (speculating here) there would have to be a 50% premium over say amazon which some people might pay on cheap items but not on anything going over 50 euro in most cases. need a lot of cheap items to be sold to keep a place going.

so while it's nice to think of having such a service it's not really viable anymore

the small hardware shops with fairly rip-off prices are a fair comparison and they are just really hanging on in a market where there are more customers (hardware stuff more commonly bought that electronics)

if you invest in amazon prime you get quicker delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Honestly surprised they didn't close sooner. Their prices were a disgrace, their staff knew literally nothing, they never had anyone on the tills, they never had anything in stock that you were actually willing to over pay for. I used to go into Maplin literally only to see what something looked like before I bought it elsewhere.

Sums them up perfectly. One of the biggest rip-offs here with prices massively in excess of those in NI. When I queried it with them I was basically told to xxxx off. Great shops to look at and examine stuff but always buy somewhere else.

Peats was a huge loss. Great knowledgeable staff. The shop I miss most in Dublin.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Sums them up perfectly. One of the biggest rip-offs here with prices massively in excess of those in NI. When I queried it with them I was basically told to xxxx off. Great shops to look at and examine stuff but always buy somewhere else.

Peats was a huge loss. Great knowledgeable staff. The shop I miss most in Dublin.

again people just weren't buying the big ticket items in there anymore - tv's etc as they were cheaper elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know. A lot of overpriced, outdated tech. Staff were a bit spotty. Some really good and some who just didn't GAF.

I only bought a screwdriver from them and it was too fat to use for my PC so I'd to get a one pound one from Asda which happened to be magnetic.

Ultimately, less competition is a bad thing but Amazon just seems to be stomping over everyone at the moment.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

OK when I say Maplin I mean any bricks and mortar local store where I could pick up the bits and bobs, that are unavailable locally now.

I did not really mean Maplin themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

OK when I say Maplin I mean any bricks and mortar local store where I could pick up the bits and bobs, that are unavailable locally now.

I did not really mean Maplin themselves

Too late!!! From henceforth you’ll now be known as that “maplin sucker” :)

Got sorted in PC Maestro, for you cork based lads. Friendly lad in there, shop is fairly well stocked too.

https://pcmaestro.mysimplestore.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Aye, I randomly came across PC Maestro during a weekend in Cork.
    They had GTX 1080 / 1080 Ti's at RRP during the crypto-mining boom!

How the hell did I never know this!

• Advertisement

Oh, came home and found my own thermal paste too.

Advertisement