Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know what? I miss Maplin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Peats were great, when I was in Dublin, yeah. Overpriced rental locations didn't help

I seem to recall hearing that there was a bit of a kerfuffle over that - Parnell St and possibly some of the other locations were owned by one part of the family, the retail business was owned by another part - guess what the property owners did...

Only thing I ever bought in Maplins was a free to air satellite box in about 2006. Was raging shortly afterwards when I found out I could have got a better one online for about half the price.

Maplins (by the time it came to Ireland) was seriously weird. Lots of store space taken up with overpriced weird crap like disco lights. Did they ever sell a single one?

From reading articles on The Register, there is a lot of affection though for the old incarnation of Maplins in the 70s-90s - when you had knowledgeable staff and a vast range of electronic components. Just like the old Peats.

Maplins originally started out as mail order - they should have been well positioned to have a strong online operation but instead they went for broke with retail outlet expansion and got screwed over badly a few times with private equity buyouts loading debt onto the business. Farnell / RS going from trade only to online retail sales didn't help them either - plus people getting stuff for half nothing from China if they were prepared to wait.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gctest50 wrote: »
    Worse than i thought - will need professional extraction and deprogramming :p

Go off and buy paste, molex/power crimps, bios tester, psu tester, usb tester etc etc

And buy a barrel of oil.

eg :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Genuine-Engine-Oil-210L-Barrel-5w30-MB-229-51-LowAsh-/113404166958

Well that's me fcuked then, they say they deliver to Southern Ireland but I live in Eastern Ireland :pac:

That's actually really cheap! but manufacturer branded oil always reminds me of "Mobil 1 specially filled for Triumph" motorbike oil which cost twice as much as an equivalent synthetic oil like Castrol which is just as good.

Got sorted in PC Maestro, for you cork based lads. Friendly lad in there, shop is fairly well stocked too.

https://pcmaestro.mysimplestore.com

The funny thing is that pretty much all of the equivalent shops in Dublin have closed - rents I suppose.

There used to be a good one on Parliament St - gone
    Another one on Westland Row - gone
    Never bought anything in Max Burns but I don't think they're still around, either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Anyone got a copy of one of their latter catalogs (I couldn't find anything online). Im looking for specs on some of their components I bought while the shop were still a thing and wondering if I could get a picture of a few pages?

Advertisement