Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x13 'Such Sweet Sorrow' [Spoilers & Theories Within]

• 10-04-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Here is the Promo..

So, I see a lot of Section31 ships, the mix of faith and destiny again, Sarek on a beach.........The U.S.S. Enterprise in full glory, and Captain Saru (Acting Captain?) it seems :D

*Water-cooler talk*

I like the Enterprise bridge, mix of the old with new, although im hoping that its only that dark because of Red Alert

Nice to see the TOS uniforms again (although updated, pretty snazzy)

It also seems that another Trek short will be a key part or play a role in this episode!

*Theories*
    • Airiam still has a role to play (maybe the merging of Organic and Control into something new=Borg)
    • If they need a supernova to activate the time crystal, maybe it will cause the Romulus supernova event in the future.
    • Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff (something gets sent into the far future or far past)
    • Michael will end up using the timesuit for some reason, save her mother, create the big bang or is the person who actually created Self Sealing Stembolts.
    • S31 will be 'officially' disbanded and possibly wiped out for the whole nearly destroying organic life accidentally with Control.

Edit: after watching this episode, I kinda hope Control wins.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

'Star Trek': "Such Sweet Sorrow" Photos Bring a 'Short Treks' Character to 'Discovery'

Star Trek: Short Treks episode “Runaway.”

^^^ The thread has already got spoiler warning! So no tags required here, I think!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, I hope they manage to work this into the story in a graceful way, because if you haven't seen that Short Treks episode, a viewer would be confused. Given the scriptwriting is often the show's weakest element, I don't hold out hope on this.

What time do these come on Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bluewolf wrote: »
    What time do these come on Netflix

8am

Thanks i always catch up late and never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

My Opinion - Not a Very Good Episode - Slow, unimpressive, Unsurprising, and over-all Boring

Yea so i was looking forward to this all week, as being the second last episode i expected we would learn a lot - we didnt learn anything that we didnt already know, or could have easily guessed
    • Discovery refuses to explode - yea kinda predictable really - sphere data is sentient etc etc - doesnt wanna be destroyed etc etc
    • Bridge of the Enterprise was decent, but iv been watching that bridge (or a version of it) since i was 6, so once the nostalgia ends, its just - cool..
    • Michael is again the solution to everything - more on that after
    • Discovery must jump to the future - yea lots of people guessed this - so no shock there

Most of this episode centered on Burnham, which is no surprise - except that this episode is the KING OF ALL BURNHAM outings

- Fans are engaged by Control
    - what/who is it - is it the Borg
    - The battle is coming, its been hyped up for a while - Cant wait to see it - - SO MUCH plot remains to be explained

Instead of addressing any of this, all we got was 50 minutes of how amazing, and loved and respected and awesome Michael Burnham is - shes going to sacrifice herself - great - 40 minutes of 'Goodbyes'.. and 'Your amazing' -

Terrible second last episode

- i really hope the writers are watching fan feedback and realize that, many of us, dont really like the way the universe revolves around her - and are willing to de-centralize her for season 3

Only my opinion - anxious to see what everyone thinks

Final note on overall plot - if this has nothing to do with the borg - a lot of fans are going to be angry - i think its the only way to salvage this season

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Well that was like saying goodbye to my mam on the phone.... bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Season 3 looks set to be Discovery in the future and them trying to get back to the present?

Again, I thought Pike was good, and I liked the exchange just as he was being transported.

Other than that, a very meh episode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As someone who overall has enjoyed Discovery, this was possibly the weakest episode, it was insulting to viewers. There is no need to explain so many things multiple times, your just treating viewers, both new and old as idiots. It was painful to watch and have them drag out what should have been 15 minutes to a full episode.

Prep to abandon ship, lets spend an hour or so looking at Mementos. Less than an hour until the attack, lets talk about what to do and then every one take 10 minutes off to record their goodbye letters to friends and family.

Pretty sure I nodded off for long sections, it was painful, with set pieces just thrown in so they could have more "emotion". Mother of God, this should have had the next episode and this one all rolled into one. This show badly needs an editor.

CramCycle wrote: »
    As someone who overall has enjoyed Discovery, this was possibly the weakest episode, it was insulting to viewers. There is no need to explain so many things multiple times, your just treating viewers, both new and old as idiots. It was painful to watch and have them drag out what should have been 15 minutes to a full episode.

Prep to abandon ship, lets spend an hour or so looking at Mementos. Less than an hour until the attack, lets talk about what to do and then every one take 10 minutes off to record their goodbye letters to friends and family.

Pretty sure I nodded off for long sections, it was painful, with set pieces just thrown in so they could have more "emotion". Mother of God, this should have had the next episode and this one all rolled into one. This show badly needs an editor.

I agree completely - and no one has even discussed the plot holes

They are writing off discovery thanks to the database - fine - it wont self destruct - fine - people are willing to sacrifice themselves - fine

-Did NO ONE THINK of walking into engineering and firing at the warp core?

-Did anyone suggest simply moving photon torpedo's to various places around the ship and detonating them?

-What about the core processor? Blow it up? then physically destroy all of the adjoining memory modules?

-Why not jump the Ship into the center of a Star? that should kinda do it???

-If they are building a NEW TIME SUIT - why is it necessary for Michael to be the one? its NEW! Not a renovated version of the old one? (of course this is simply answered by the fact that Michael Burnham has to be involved in everything

-Why doesn't someone shoot Tilly? (couldn't resist)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

liamtech wrote: »
    -Did NO ONE THINK of walking into engineering and firing at the warp core?
    I think the issue here is that they only realised that the Sphere was in everything after they failed to detonate it, so it would simply stop them doing it as it has so much experience of other Ais and lifeforms.

This of course falls apart when you think that it hung around for S31 ships to land and attack it.
    -Did anyone suggest simply moving photon torpedo's to various places around the ship and detonating them?
    I presume same issue, Discovery would just beam them out, maybe
    -What about the core processor? Blow it up? then physically destroy all of the adjoining memory modules?
    This would make the most sense, it doesn't seem to react to them doing anything that doesn't look like it will immedaitely harm it, hatch the pln on Enterprise, access the databanks physically and detonate a phaser.
    -Why not jump the Ship into the center of a Star? that should kinda do it???
    Would the shields hold long enough for it to move
    -If they are building a NEW TIME SUIT - why is it necessary for Michael to be the one? its NEW! Not a renovated version of the old one? (of course this is simply answered by the fact that Michael Burnham has to be involved in everything
    They are carbon copying the old one and due to some BS, it needs Michaels Mam, so it needs her DNA but somehow, as you say, they can't change to someone elses DNA, they can change it enough to suit Michaels DNA

Like you said though, they can build a timesuit, outfit every shuttle to be a mini warship etc. in what appears to be little more than an hour or two, somehow, far simpler solutions seem to be outside their remit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Having Spock stay on the Discovery really just drains any potential suspense from the episode. The Enterprise sets do look really good.

Agree lot of filler, 'Message home' from some crew members we don't even know, took a bathroom break during that part.

How did Sarek and Amanda get aboard Enterprise/Discovery in time, in the first place?

If Spock gets sent to the future (and is stuck there). That will surely rip through any remaining ties to CANON!?
    ^^^ I suppose Micheal could transport him back with the suit.

Edit: - They have build up exceptions for the finale to resolve the canon issues. Hope it is not a complete reset of Micheal's Timeline?
    ^^^ 'Butterfly effect where one character's interactions has cause and effect'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just stuck this on now..

Intro title sequence just running and the heavy handed idiocy of trying to erase 2 seasons of missteps is already strong.

Will update after I watch the rest of this

The Enterprise bridge looks good though - certainly far better than JJ's Apple store movie versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

Uhhhhhhg.......

I was imagining a *much* better episode than that. How the hell did manage to make an episode about destroying Discovery and evacuating to Enterprise so damned *boring*?!!!

And the goodbyes....and the goodbyes......and the goodbyyyyeeeeeessssss.......

For the love of Bones, don't have Season 3 follow them to the empty far-future....I don't think I'll want to watch that show...I just won't....

I did like 'Captian' Saru's "PREPARE FOR BATTLE" at the end there. That was bad ass.

Dear God this show...

- "ok everyone. We have to somehow undo everything we screwed up in the last 2 years because we said this would line up with classic Trek. I know, we'll send Discovery Back to the Future (and that way it'll line up with that only Short Trek that fans liked)"... And that's pre titles!

Cringe-worthy "I love you all" speech from Burnham, the selfless, saviour of all life everywhere and every when because only she can use the time suit (of course!) Kudos to Georgiou for calling out her hero complex though

- How did Sarek and Amanda get on Discovery? That's some shuttlecraft! Pity they didn't bring some backup though. I thought maybe the annoying teen Queen had a stargate or something! :More "you are the greatest Michael! We love you! " stuff

- Cut to another "we love you and we're coming with you" scene with Tilly and the extras/main cast :rolleyes:

- Tyler and Burnham have to have a predictable soap opera lovers scene as the music swells. Not surprising I suppose as that's the background of one of the key writers/producers I think?

- attack imminent and we decide to do facetime messages with the extras next.

- Pike needs to remind us all of their names as we get a "why I love ye all" fly through. Once again, Michael is just the bestest of the best and he is just honoured to have been a part of her journey

- And finally, we get a look at the fleet they intend to use to hold off a Control enhanced battle group.. Shuttles and engineering pods. Come on!

I honestly look forward to reading how anyone can explain away how bad what I just watched was. Awful all round from a show that hasn't exactly set the bar high anyway but continues to fail even still.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I honestly look forward to reading how anyone can explain away how bad what I just watched was. Awful all round from a show that hasn't exactly set the bar high anyway but continues to fail even still.

:D:pac: - LMFAO! - i was waiting with anticipation for your Opinion on it _Kaiser_ - NAILED IT

BRAVO!

Iv watched it again - painful stuff - i often stand up for disco but not today - its worse the second time through
    • That admiral just seems to 'pop up' every now and again - for no apparent reason - this was a low for her - she BASICALLY had no lines - total filler - next season they will have her in a cupboard on a starbase - they open it to get Phasers - 'ADMIRAL'? .... ' YES COMMANDER?
    • the 10 odd minutes with Sarek and Amanda made me roar laughing in my office! its like the eve of battle - THE FATE OF ALL SENTIENT LIFE on the line - and 'the folks pop in' - for an auld natter - 'ah sure look your a good girl Michael - we love you'
    • how many people said good bye this episode - and to how many different people - everyone says bye to disco - then everyone says bye to Burnham - folks pop in to say Bye - then the crew decides to go - then Ash says bye to Michael - then pike says bye to each of the bridge crew - Stamets says goodbye to the Ex - the bridge crew says goodbye to their families

I am a PRO Star Trek Discovery Trekkie Nut who has spent a lot of money on Trek - i have defended it and continue to do so

BUT MAN this episode stank - it may be THAT BAD that its actually funny!

Anyone fancy a drinking game? When someone says 'Goodbye' - or that they Love someone - Or wishes them well - or reminds us that a Life or Death Battle is about to begin - we do a shot!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

The exchange with Georgiou / Pike at the end was fascinating, did his wink imply an ‘I know’ or a ‘me too’. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    The exchange with Georgiou / Pike at the end was fascinating, did his wink imply an ‘I know’ or a ‘me too’. Interesting.

That bit pissed me off no end. It felt like they were trying to pull a Lorca again :mad:

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »
    That bit pissed me off no end. It felt like they were trying to pull a Lorca again :mad:

After the episode I watched today, I'd say it's 50/50 that Lorca comes out of the sonic shower at the end of next week's episode and it was all a dream!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Apologies if it's been answered but I'm only sticking it on now and haven't read through. The bit at the very start (in the recap), what episode was that from? I've no recollection of it (Tilly beaming some one off the ship).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Apologies if it's been answered but I'm only sticking it on now and haven't read through. The bit at the very start (in the recap), what episode was that from? I've no recollection of it (Tilly beaming some one off the ship).

It was a mini episode, before Season two aired. Should be on Netlfix

Short Trek Discovery episode 'Runaway'.

If you using/looking for it on Netflix? You probably have to go into the specials section, I believe.

There is four in total and all except Mud's episode ('The Escape Artist') has tie-ins to this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was expecting so much from this episode and severely disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought they were surrounded by Section 31 ships at the end of last week. How did they get away long enough to rendezvous with Enterprise and transfer the entire crew over and back? Spore drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought they were surrounded by Section 31 ships at the end of last week. How did they get away long enough to rendezvous with Enterprise and transfer the entire crew over and back? Spore drive?

That was a preview, bait and switch for this episode

CastorTroy wrote: »

They used the spore drive and told enterprise where to meet them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Short Treks are under "Trailers and more" on Netflix.
    Agree with earlier that as soon as Spock agreed to time jump, it was never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really like what they've done with the Enterprise. Internal & external. Looks very classic mixed with modern.

Advertisement