Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x13 'Such Sweet Sorrow' [Spoilers & Theories Within]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Finished the episode and the only real good points were the visuals. Visually this show is amazing. The ships look great and the impending battle scene will be good.

Other than that it was crap. Nothing happened really except talking about what they are going to do in the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m just watching this episode now but the modern design of the old Enterprise bridge is absolutely brilliant. It’s exactly how it should have been done imo.

Yeah, it's brilliant. A real good job on it. Mix of old style with new. A respectable nod to the past with new modern twist.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah, it's brilliant. A real good job on it. Mix of old style with new. A respectable nod to the past with new modern twist.

It’s almost like the original 60’s bridge is a fan made version of this new one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drumpot wrote: »
    What’s with the lighting of this show? Every so often there is some sort of light from flicker , as if it’s the reflection of some distant light or something!

So nobody else notices the lighting at times? I’m not mad, there’s some shimmer every couple of mins, particularly on the ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

So nobody else notices the lighting at times? I’m not mad, there’s some shimmer every couple of mins, particularly on the ships.

That's the old "JJ-Trek lense-flair thingy". The production company making Discovery are apparently an off-shoot of 'Bad Robot' who made the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies...and they had those lens flairs galore. I guess it's their signature of sorts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Maybe I'm missing something but given that Pike knows his future is now committed to having an accident in the future somewhere that he must know isn't either the Enterprise or Discovery with a crew that is also not from either ship why he just doesn't go full Full Dr Strangelove on it, shout Yahoo!!! and wave a cowboy hat around as he commands an all out suicidal attack on the Control fleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because he's not Captain Janeway? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

touts wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but given that Pike knows his future is now committed to having an accident in the future somewhere that he must know isn't either the Enterprise or Discovery with a crew that is also not from either ship why he just doesn't go full Full Dr Strangelove on it, shout Yahoo!!! and wave a cowboy hat around as he commands an all out suicidal attack on the Control fleet.

Maybe that’s exactly what he does to end up as a disfigured melting head on top of a storage box on wheels?

Maybe that’s exactly what he does to end up as a disfigured melting head on top of a storage box on wheels?

His accident doesn't happen till several years later (after his promotion to Fleet Captain and Kirk taking over the Enterprise).

I thought that was good! Spock did remove the uncertainty agreed. I hadn't seen the short trek so am watching it now. I liked the Queen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In the future flash he could see he was at Starfleet academy with cadets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Any chance Discovery ends up in the year 2399.

Series ends with Picard taking Discovery for a new mission, or possibly a very old one....

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Any chance Discovery ends up in the year 2399.

Series ends with Picard taking Discovery for a new mission, or possibly a very old one....

I really hope not besides I don't think Picard would like Discovery. Am really hoping the Picard series is more in keeping in line with the style of 80s 90s Star Trek but modernized not souped up like the JJ films or Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

AMKC wrote: »
    I really hope not besides I don't think Picard would like Discovery. Am really hoping the Picard series is more in keeping in line with the style of 80s 90s Star Trek but modernized not souped up like the JJ films or Discovery.

It will be produced by the same company (Secret Hideout), which contains people who worked on them shows.
    It is also been produced under the same licensing agreement as Discovery and already rumored to having a 25% Different style to what we already know of Picard!

Hope not. Much and all as I like Discovery, Picard was supposed to be the more cerebral complement to it, not more of the same.

They did the queens eyes differently in the main episode than the short trek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ what an awful episode. More slipping past all of the moments with Michael rubbish. It’s on a par with all the last two star war films for being a complete load of absolute cack.
    I really hope that Picard is not set in the the JJ Abrams universe. Frakes confirmed last week that Disney mandated Discovery to follow Abrams’ so doesn’t bode well for Picard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Can we agree that Anson Mount leaving is a bad thing, at least?

Wonder if this petition will go anywhere?
    https://www.change.org/p/star-trek-fans-cbs-give-us-a-pre-tos-star-trek-series-w-captain-pike-struggle-is-pointless

I’d watch that. And this Spock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I was hoping the twist would be that attempting to self destruct the sphere data created the version of the AI that wreaked havoc. Oh well :(

With pike gone saru better be made captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Blazer wrote: »
    Christ what an awful episode. More slipping past all of the moments with Michael rubbish. It’s on a par with all the last two star war films for being a complete load of absolute cack.
    I really hope that Picard is not set in the the JJ Abrams universe. Frakes confirmed last week that Disney mandated Discovery to follow Abrams’ so doesn’t bode well for Picard.

Why would Disney care or have anything to do with it as they do not own any Star Trek property and are not involved in it in any way?

Star Trek is owned by CBS, Paramount and Viacom.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

And Abhrams version was changed enough to not impinge upon CBS TV owned shows.
    Why would CBS lock itself out of its own show and impinge upon Paramount's property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems to me that there are only two realistic outcomes from the last episode. They jump into the future and next season becomes the adventures of discovery in the 33rd century.

Or the jump fails and they have to otherwise abandon Disco out of Control's reach.

The former seems like a good way to lift out of canon issues, but is fraught. A ship 1,000 years out of time would have little relevance. Like someone appearing on a Viking ship, talking about joining the Navy. The only way to make it work would be for the Federation and other big civilisations to be gone, and maybe Disco is trying to figure out how to go back and save them.

In the case that they abandon Disco they can fix a lot of canon issues by simply deleting all record of her existence from every Starfleet database. Which they would do if they were trying to hide her from Control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

seamus wrote: »
    In the case that they abandon Disco they can fix a lot of canon issues by simply deleting all record of her existence from every Starfleet database. Which they would do if they were trying to hide her from Control.

What then becomes of the show Star Trek Discovery though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Inviere wrote: »
    What then becomes of the show Star Trek Discovery though?

They rebuild it? Not like Trek hadn't done that trick before, albeit in the movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    They rebuild it? Not like Trek hadn't done that trick before, albeit in the movies.

I suppose they could, sans Spore Drive and Sphere Data. So yet another fresh start?

seamus wrote: »
    It seems to me that there are only two realistic outcomes from the last episode. They jump into the future and next season becomes the adventures of discovery in the 33rd century.

Or the jump fails and they have to otherwise abandon Disco out of Control's reach.

The former seems like a good way to lift out of canon issues, but is fraught. A ship 1,000 years out of time would have little relevance. Like someone appearing on a Viking ship, talking about joining the Navy. The only way to make it work would be for the Federation and other big civilisations to be gone, and maybe Disco is trying to figure out how to go back and save them.

I’m pretty sure Burnham will be deleted from the record, or timeline, somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

I’m pretty sure Burnham will be deleted from the record, or timeline, somehow.

We can only hope - but i suspect none of this will come to pass

there will undoubtedly be some sort of Ex Deus Machina, whereby control is defeated or deleted (possible with a component or two ending up as the origin of the borg), and Disco will end up fine and dandy in the current timeline.

I cant see this massive reboot/reshuffle happening in one 50 minute episode - honestly i think its wishful thinking - its modern sci-fi for ye - I always roll back to doctor who for an example of how modern Sci fi deals with improbable things = bare with me its only an example

The Master: Last seen killed by be sucked into the time vortex during the 8th docs only episode - SO MANY theories about how he could be back - ended up in the past - time vortex regenerated him - non corporeal master takes over someone - when he appeared his survival was outlined in one line of dialogue - they resurrected him - from where? who knows - end of

Back to trek - Many fans seem to want a few things and are burning brain cells to figure out how they could get these things
    • Canon problems - holograms - spocks sister - etc etc - OH they could total delete discovery if it jumped way past the TNG era, etc etc - Cant see it - probably control gets hurled out of time and Michael Burnham does it - Hip Hip Hooray
    • Spore drive - Oh Disco is the only ship, and its been proven problematic - so disco could be gone etc etc - Nah.. the show is called Discovery - ship will be fine
    • Spocks sister that he never mentions - she could be deleted etc etc - Nah - more likely they just have a falling out
    • Control is unstoppable - its a ASI thats gonna become the borg and destory everything unless its stopped by time travel - nah - its a piece of software - it will be deleted by - you guessed it - GOD/Burnham

The last episode will probably be
    • 5 minutes more of preamble to battle
    • credits
    • 10-15 minutes of battle
    • 5-10 minutes here or there of character pieces about Stamets and the ex, or Michael and Ash etc etc
    • EX DEUS MACHINA - control dies - maybe a wink in the general direction of fandom, as to a possible borg connection - the resolution will be something ridiculous that we over looked - possible control gets sucked in the spore universe and is consumed by Tillys 'friend' - or its tricked into being deleted - or the sphere data itself cannibalizes it as the data is even more intelligent -
    • Michael sends the signals that starts the whole season
    • 20 Minutes of discussion on just how AMAZING burnham is for orchestrating the victory
    • Cheerio Enterprise Pike etc - Then a cliff hanger of sorts - maybe Prime lorca or something like that
    • The end

I hope im wrong but the latest episode really dampened my spirits

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

pixelburp wrote: »
    The 14 episode order always seemed passing strange to me, and this episode gave further suspicion that this was meant to be a 13 episode season but the production team had to, for some reason, stretch the finale to a two parter. Seasons of shows - especially online ones - tend towards 10 or 13 episodes these days and 14 stuck out like an odd number.

It was suppose to be a 13 Episode season: -
    It was originally just supposed to be one episode. We had thirteen episodes for the season and in trying to wrap up all the storylines and all the mythology, we developed the story — and the story was huge and the outline was huge and we realized it is not one episode of television. So, in order to do everything justice that we wanted to do – including all the character moments that we wanted to have – so, fortunately, our network partners said “have fun with another episode.” So, we did….There was so much story to tell and so much to wrap up and we really wanted to wrap up the characters’ journeys over the season and to try to squeeze that into one episode, we couldn’t have done it justice.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Co-Showrunner Says Season 2 Finale Will Provide Answers To The Show’s Mysteries

This last episode has allot of things depending on it. Hope it doesn't disappoint

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In relation to people knowing about Disco and the spore drive, I thought you they mentioned in Season one that most other federation ships didn't even know what Disco could do.

• Advertisement

liamtech wrote: »
    I hope im wrong but the latest episode really dampened my spirits

I don’t think your spirits were ever that dry.

I personally don’t think that Spock not mentioning Burnham is due to a falling out. You’re saying she’s still alive in the TOS era, or even later but not mentioned by her family?

There will be a reason why she can’t or won’t be mentioned and she won’t be alive, not in that timeline anyway. She might reunite with her birth mother and go to the future, or discovery might end up stranded there. It will be hush hush.

The tech discrepancy has been done to death, I don’t think most people care.

Advertisement