Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 1 Year Grad Visa Internships / Jobs

Options
  • 10-04-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am considering the USA 1 year grad visa, it looks like it would be quite the experience, and I'm sure 2019 is the last year of it.

I would more than likely be heading to New York (alone), with the hope of getting a job in digital marketing (I will have my masters degree in digital marketing).

from reading the USIT website, am I right in saying it would be internship jobs that I would be applying for ?

Has anybody on here ever done similar, and if so, how is the pay ? I know it will vary company to company, but I am looking for rough expectations, as I'm sure it is not the cheapest place to live, and here in Ireland the phrase 'internship' usually means low paid.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I'm in the same boat. Got my Visa approved yesterday, going to Philadelphia at the end of May with a degree in applied physics. From what I've researched, intern wages would be similar to entry level graduate jobs here (~~€25-30K/year). Happy to be corrected though, I'm not as well researched as I should be at this stage.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

I think you can apply for any job that's advertised; it doesn't need to be specifically an "internship job". Any entry-level job would be reasonable.

Theoretically in the US it's illegal for employers to discriminate against "work authorized individuals" on the basis of the documents they provide to demonstrate their work authorization (which in your case is your J-1 visa and DS-2019). In reality, some employers are reluctant to hire people who have such a short term status. Other employers are willing to hire someone for a year or, even better, work with an immigration lawyer to try to get you a different visa like H-1B so that you can stay and work for longer.

Advertisement