Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever seen an adult man who is shorter than his mother?

• 10-04-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Heard this is pretty much impossible (or highly uncommon) and in the cases it happens, it's either 1.) the adult son having a growth deficiency from brain trauma (so not genetic) or 2.) the mother is significantly taller than her husband.

It seems the mothers height even determines the height of daughters. It's much more possible for daughters to be shorter than mothers but even then, tall mothers produce daughters that are usually as tall as them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I met a woman once who was short of a few pence. Her son had even less money.

So he was shorter than her, I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I saw a man once who was further away from me, than his mother was.

Depends what way you look at it i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

This is an ableist thread, what about the visually impaired?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,522 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are a few factors at play:
    * Men tend to be taller than women.
    * Exceptionally tall parents tend to have tall off-spring, but not as tall - regression to the mean.
    * Each generation tends to be taller than the previous one - better food security. In a famine situation, pregnancies that happen during or immediately after the famine tend to result in smaller children and even smaller grandchildren. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944%E2%80%9345#Legacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There was a family where I lived as a child and the mother was the tallest in the family. They had 3 sons and a daughter, and the daughter was probably the 2nd tallest, though there was almost nothing in it.

The father was by far the shortest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Danny DeVito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

sligojoek wrote: »
    Danny DeVito
    Nope even he is taller than his mother.

danny-devito-family-mother-julia-devito.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Wow. I didn't think that was possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Have you ever seen a baby pigeon? Me neither, but I'm pretty sure they exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Advertisement
Advertisement