Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripping up of station road, hansfield.

Options
  • 11-04-2019 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

What's happening to station road in hansfield.

Its shameful that fingal allow a road to be ripped up in such a manner, all the empty fields on either side and they still cut right along the centre.
    Roads with these type of trenches cut out never do be the same again, repairs always sink down afterwards.

Whats is this for does anyone know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Haven't seen this yet but Porterstown Rd along by Castleknock Hotel has two newly created mounds transversing the road and every time I hit them note to myself to write and complain to the council for allowing the contractor leave them in such a state.

The newest and worst is at the top of Somerton Rd where one side of the road is ok but the other is the problem. That same contractor butchered the footpath all the way down past St Mochta's Church.

Surely if anyone wants to dig a drain along or across a road they need permission from the council who thereafter have to inspect it's repaired to a satisfactory condition? Council are more to blame for the state of Dublin roads either allowing contractors get away with such short cuts or they themselves making half hearted repair attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

In addition to the road I also notice the tarmacadam path from the football pitches to the hotel has been badly repaired also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I contacted FCC about this last week and got a call back.

I was told that the contractor, Zayo, is installing optical fiber around Dublin 15 and out to Facebook's data centre in Clonee. Someone else told me that the main network cables in Dublin follow the M50. Installing along Luttrellstown Road and Diswellstown Road would be a reasonably obvious choice from the M50.

I was also told that Zayo would do a proper reinstatement when they are finished their installation.
    I would have thought that it would be as cheap to reinstate properly as you go along but maybe they think that they might have to dig up portions to fix issues.

I wasn't told how long one would have to wait for this 'proper reinstatement'. The current work is shockingly poor.

In a press release from October 2018 it says:
    In Dublin, a multinational company has selected Zayo for a fully diverse dark fiber ring around the metro area. The high-fiber count solution will significantly improve latency for the customer, with the potential for follow-on sales to many companies that have a presence in Dublin or are considering investment and relocation in Ireland. The new routes complement Zayo’s existing T50 fiber network in Dublin.
    This could be the work we are seeing. ("T50" could be a reference to M50)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Noticed ghis myself (I live in riverwood) and there’s a not too elegant trench all the way from Riverwood to the new houses at diswellstown. I hope they do a better job on it - I use the cycle lanes a good bit around there as do a lot of others and they were in good condition before hand.

T50 refers to the spec of the fibre network Btw

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/telecoms/dublin-dark-fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I asked a guy working there today what they were doing and he said, laying pipes, his English wasn't good so didn't ask any more.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Noticed ghis myself (I live in riverwood) and there’s a not too elegant trench all the way from Riverwood to the new houses at diswellstown. I hope they do a better job on it - I use the cycle lanes a good bit around there as do a lot of others and they were in good condition before hand.
    I don't think that is the route they are digging up. I'm not familiar with the trench as I generally run on the opposite side of Diswellstown Road.

I was jogging over Dr Troy Bridge and noted the phone number on the signs:
    1800 268 768

I rang the number and got a call back within an hour.
    The guy explained that it was more efficient (and presumably cheaper) to do a quick reinstatement and let the professionals do a good job later.

He said that the good job would be done shortly and will be done before the schools reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

daymobrew wrote: »
    I rang the number and got a call back within an hour.
    The guy explained that it was more efficient (and presumably cheaper) to do a quick reinstatement and let the professionals do a good job later.

He said that the good job would be done shortly and will be done before the schools reopen.

I note that the footpath opposite St Mochta's church on the Porterstown Road was redone last week and looks well but it's only about 200m. The entirety of the rest of the footpath is left a mess with a patched drain running the length of it not to mention the ridiculous and sharp drain crossing the road further up past Castleknock Hotel. No sign of any contractors this week doing the good job, are they located elsewhere remedying previous botched repairs.

I'm hopeful they've working elsewhere in the area until they can get the telephone poles removed from the center of the footpath.

I note that the footpath opposite St Mochta's church on the Porterstown Road was redone last week and looks well but it's only about 200m. The entirety of the rest of the footpath is left a mess with a patched drain running the length of it not to mention the ridiculous and sharp drain crossing the road further up past Castleknock Hotel. No sign of any contractors this week doing the good job, are they located elsewhere remedying previous botched repairs.

I'm hopeful they've working elsewhere in the area until they can get the telephone poles removed from the center of the footpath.
    You should call them and ask that the contractor calls you back.

Advertisement