Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

eagle eye wrote: »
    In his later years? The man is still alive and not that old.
    He has been stuck in an embassy for years. It's got to have been much harder for him.
    If he struck a deal with Trump who could blame him? If he has been assured that he won't taken to the States and buried in a deep hole then it's easy to understand why he would make a deal.

Possibly Trump could return the favor with a pardon, who knows.

Anyway Assange has a long relationship with the Kremlin, he definitely has a shoe-in as a pundit on Russian state TV if he can get his ass out of the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I'd imagine there's a zero percent chance Trump will pardon Julian Assange.

He'll eventually pardon Stone, Flynn etc though. Cohen not ;)

peddlelies wrote: »
    I'd imagine there's a zero percent chance Trump will pardon Julian Assange.

He'll eventually pardon Stone, Flynn etc though. Cohen not ;)

It's a long list alright ;)

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's a long list alright ;)

Tis' but not an inkling to do with any Russian conspiracy.

Off topic maybe but the SC put Manafort in solitary confinement for months to try break him, bankrupted Flynn after the FBI initially cleared him, raided houses and offices at 5am with guns drawn and according to him, tried to coarse Jerome Corsi into a false confession. I don't think they acted ethically at all when dealing with people who posed no residual risk. You could call it hardball I guess but I suspect things will come out that are damaging about how they conducted the investigation.

There was a letter sent by Chuck Grassley detailing how the SC purposely misrepresented emails to nail Papadopolous, it's worth reading because I found it to be very dishonest. They cherry picked certain lines from emails and ignored the proper context. I wrote a post about the contents here which broke it down.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109854786&postcount=6322

Are people here saying that reporting facts is now somehow a crime? It's the main function of a journalist. CNN, BBC, FOX et al are more guilty than assange and wikileaks for crimes against journalism.

This is seriously disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Are people here saying that reporting facts is now somehow a crime? It's the main function of a journalist. CNN, BBC, FOX et al are more guilty than assange and wikileaks for crimes against journalism.

Yep Wikileaks never reported a false fact ever. Everything they released was true. This is the state of world affairs at the moment.

Are people here saying that reporting facts is now somehow a crime?

I wouldn't think so, but then against I wouldn't suggest hacking into your company's private email server, dumping all the mails and claiming "but it's the truth, so it's okay" :)

Bonus points if you were to find something, anything in there so it "validates" the entire leak

Dohnjoe wrote:
    Bonus points if you were to find something, anything in there so it "validates" the entire leak

What's your view on Snowdon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Plenty of well known people are regulars on RT, Larry King hosts a show on it and even Adam Schiff was doing interviews on it 3 years ago. RT is obviously used to push Russian

It's a russian propaganda channel a front for the Kremlin

The fact assange had only ever attacked America while supporting russian interests is proof in itself ,

Enough of this nonsense at least our putinbots don't try to hide it

I wouldn't think so, but then against I wouldn't suggest hacking into your company's private email server, dumping all the mails and claiming "but it's the truth, so it's okay" :)

A very disingenuous argument, that's not what Wikileaks does.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    It's a russian propaganda channel a front for the Kremlin

The fact assange had only ever attacked America while supporting russian interests is proof in itself ,

Enough of this nonsense at least our putinbots don't try to hide it

Dig a bit deeper maybe, they don't only release information on the US.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/910072376372625408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E910072376372625408&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2017%2F09%2F19%2Fwikileaks-releases-documents-it-claims-detail-russia-mass-surveillance-apparatus%2F

No

Trump claims he knows nothing about wikileaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Should be interesting to see if the insurance file is real.

I forgot all about that, time will tell.

LOL

30-odd pages of partially public "info" from one of the most corrupt regimes in the world. Really went for the jugular there

Gatling wrote: »
    No

That's fine. FWIW I agree with you that when it comes to dirty cyber tricks, no freedom of the press, intimidation against political opponents etc Russia is one of the worst places on the planet, and they are very adept are spreading propraganda

We just disagree on whether Wikileaks/Assange is an actual Russian front. I don't think they are, they're just hostile to part US foreign policy with a particular dislike of Hillary Clinton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Guy it a total retard, goes to war with the country granting asylum.

Like be the way people are talking bollox about this setting a dangerous president for journalists, the guy is a criminal and obtained the information he released illegally.

I didn't need wiki leaks to prove the American government is a self serving pack of pricks who ignore domestic or international law when it suits.

This guy is going to end up in a very deep hole in the US.

LOL

30-odd pages of partially public "info" from one of the most corrupt regimes in the world. Really went for the jugular there

I linked one example, they've released numerous publications that have nothing to do with America.

You can hardly argue that American foreign policy hasn't been anything anything short of disastrous over the last few decades when you think of Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and so on. They deserve to have plenty of shít thrown at them for the atrocities that have occurred, that includes millions of dead civilians.

They deserve to have plenty of shít thrown at them for the atrocities that have occurred, that includes millions of dead civilians.

As do all the other countries that have done the same you quoted Afghanistan well that particular shotshow came about due to an invasion long before bush jr came to power.,

Remind us a about who and what the Taliban are

Guy it a total retard, goes to war with the country granting asylum.Like be the way people are talking bollox about this setting a dangerous president for journalists, the guy is a criminal and obtained the information he released illegally.I didn't need wiki leaks to prove the American government is a self serving pack of pricks who ignore domestic or international law when it suits.This guy is going to end up in a very deep hole in the US.

Don't know where to start with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The problem I have with Assange is he made himself the gatekeeper on what leaks would be leaked e.g. the Democrats emails in July 2016. He did that as it was his vengeance against them and in turn helped that orange-head be elected president. Who anointed him with such power? Himself. I'm sure he has a lot more information on many politicians e.g. Trump, etc but he himself chooses what and when is released. These are not the actions of a information freedom loving hero. And then he holes himself up cowardly in the embassy for all these years. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't believe anyone here has done so.

It is already settled law in the US that the mere publication of classified material is not a criminal offense. That dates back at least to the Pentagon Papers in the Vietnam era. The method of obtaining said information, however, can be, which is apparently what is being charged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

After the global elites had Seth Rich killed for leaking inside information on the Democrats, Wikileaks had every right to go after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

All this will do is embolden countries like the USA to carry out more war crimes. It sad in 2019 people are loving this and think it all good. It shows some people have not learned from past mistakes, are now actively supporting war criminals and their position on whistleblowing about war crimes. I fear for this world when there know accountability and journalists hands are tied and can't report real crimes due to fear of prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

Julian Assange has never been charged with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

I don't believe anyone here has done so.

It is already settled law in the US that the mere publication of classified material is not a criminal offense. That dates back at least to the Pentagon Papers in the Vietnam era. The method of obtaining said information, however, can be, which is apparently what is being charged here.
    So you are accepting the hair-splitting rationalisation of attacks on the freedom of the press.

Wrters like Thomas Paine who defended the American revolution were hounded by British Imperialism. Writers and journalists like Julian Assange who fearlessly exposed the barbarism and deceits of American imperialism are hounded and tortured.

And you quote the laws of the imperialists as justification.

A picket should be organised of the British embassy in Dublin. A petition should be organised in defence of Julian Assange.

Hands Off Julian Assange!

Hands Off Journalism!

No to War!

Down with the imperialist criminals!

Unite to fight censorship!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

PVNevin wrote: »

A picket should be organised of the British embassy in Dublin. A petition should be organised in defence of Julian Assange.

Hands Off Julian Assange!

Hands off Journalism!

No to War!

Down with the imperialist criminals!

Unite to fight censorship!
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Have a snickers, youre a drama queen when youre hungry

It sad in 2019 .

People are happy to ignore all other countries who carry out crimes and war crimes ,
    Just to moan America did this and America did that.

It's not sad it's actually quite pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yep Wikileaks never reported a false fact ever. Everything they released was true. This is the state of world affairs at the moment.
    Their website didn't because it was just hacked emails. But easy to present a false narrative. And their twitter pushed plenty of purposely misleading claims. Here's a couple:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1116327194182209537?s=19

• Advertisement

After the global elites had Seth Rich killed for leaking inside information on the Democrats, Wikileaks had every right to go after them.

no chance you have credible source for this i guess, with that username and the 'global elites' dogwhistle

Advertisement