Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Swedes dropped the charges against Julian 2015 but have now decided to look into bringing them up again.
    https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=7197587

About the Swedish rape allegations.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/stratfor-on-assange-bankrupt-the-a-ruin-his-life-give-him-7-12-for-conspiracy-2012-2
    “BTW, close family friend in Sweden who knows the girl that is pressing charges tells me that there is absolutely nothing behind it other than prosecutors that are looking to make a name for themselves. My friend speaks rather disparagingly about the girl who is claiming molestation. I also think the whole rape thing is incorrect for if I remember correctly rape was never the charge.”
    After being informed that Assange was being accused under Sweden’s loose definition of rape, Farnham replied:
    “If it really matters I can look into it, but from what I am hearing that is not the case. That’s not to say that my friend is foolproof either. She knows nothing of law or politics, she just knows the girl in question and follows the news.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

PVNevin wrote: »
    So you are accepting the hair-splitting rationalisation of attacks on the freedom of the press.

Wrters like Thomas Paine who defended the American revolution were hounded by British Imperialism. Writers and journalists like Julian Assange who fearlessly exposed the barbarism and deceits of American imperialism are hounded and tortured.

And you quote the laws of the imperialists as justification.

A picket should be organised of the British embassy in Dublin. A petition should be organised in defence of Julian Assange.

Hands Off Julian Assange!

Hands Off Journalism!

No to War!

Down with the imperialist criminals!

Unite to fight censorship!

What rationalization? The press are free to print what they want. They are not free to break laws relating to classified information.

If a journalist breaks into a house to obtain information and then publishes it, he is still guilty of burglary. He won’t be charged with printing the information, but he will be charged with how he got it. Journalism is not an excuse to ignore laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

About time it happened and I am delighted it has happened. Could not happen to a nicer man. Hope he gets 50 years in jail for what he has done to the World.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

AMKC wrote: »
    About time it happened and I am delighted it has happened. Could not happen to a nicer man. Hope he gets 50 years in jail for what he has done to the World.

We must protect our luciferian worshipping elites that control the financial system and mass produced mainstream media from any inside information on their pedaphila rings, wars fermented and control over the world population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

What's your opinion on Edward Snowden?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I wonder if Russia or China requested UK authorities to hand over a journalist who exposed their war crimes would they be so cooperative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think history will look at Assange in a positive light. He facilitated very important information making its way into the public domain

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 38,500 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AMKC wrote:
    It's guys like you with opinions like this that need to be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »

The judge isn't wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Cienciano wrote: »
    Their website didn't because it was just hacked emails. But easy to present a false narrative. And their twitter pushed plenty of purposely misleading claims. Here's a couple:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1116327194182209537?s=19

Not true Assange hinted Seth Rich gave them information on video. Wikileaks even offered a reward for information about the murder. Wikileaks would do that if he was not a source.

Seth had access to DNC server he was a Bernie supporter and he did it, to get back at the DNC for conspiring against Bernie Sanders.

Seth murderer was never caught. The police said it was a robbery, yet the robber never stole anything from him.. I think he was murdered for leaking info but that my viewpoint.

Not true Assange hinted Seth Rich gave them information on video. Wikileaks even offered a reward for information about the murder. Wikileaks would do that if he was not a source.

Steady now. I remember Fox printed a story about Seth Rich then immediately retracted it and issued an apology, that's the only time my eyebrows have raised a little thinking about the Seth Rich angle but then they almost immediately dropped again. It was a terrible blunder by them.

Wikileaks and Assange in particular could easily throw things out to infiltrate the public debate on where the emails came from. Once there's even a slight argument on one side suggesting it could have been Seth Rich behind the leaks they've achieved their goal, it's a classic disinformation tactic. The talk about Russia was starting to build around that time and detracting from the actual releases.

The Seth Rich case is definitely curious since he wasn't robbed nor have his murderers been found, I just think it's a bit too far out there that he would be murdered over leaked emails. Imagine that somehow it made it's way back to the DNC, it would be the biggest political scandal in history and an unrecoverable one, it's just not plausible imo. Why would they kill him if he did steal emails?

What rationalization? The press are free to print what they want. They are not free to break laws relating to classified information.

If a journalist breaks into a house to obtain information and then publishes it, he is still guilty of burglary. He won’t be charged with printing the information, but he will be charged with how he got it. Journalism is not an excuse to ignore laws.

Do you believe war crimes should be kept secret?

If a drone dropped a bomb on your family and killed them and the government kept it secret, what would you think? Would you want someone to expose the crime?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gatling wrote: »
    Trump claims he knows nothing about wikileaks

Trump in 2016: 'I love WikiLeaks,' Trump now: 'I know nothing about WikiLeaks'

Meanwhile in Tumpton it's Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb

peddlelies wrote: »
    Steady now. I remember Fox printed a story about Seth Rich then immediately retracted it and issued an apology, that's the only time my eyebrows have raised a little thinking about the Seth Rich angle but then they almost immediately dropped again. It was a terrible blunder by them.

Wikileaks and Assange in particular could easily throw things out to infiltrate the public debate on where the emails came from. Once there's even a slight argument on one side suggesting it could have been Seth Rich behind the leaks they've achieved their goal, it's a classic disinformation tactic. The talk about Russia was starting to build around that time and detracting from the actual releases.

The Seth Rich case is definitely curious since he wasn't robbed nor have his murderers been found, I just think it's a bit too far out there that he would be murdered over leaked emails. Imagine that somehow it made it's way back to the DNC, it would be the biggest political scandal in history and an unrecoverable one, it's just not plausible imo. Why would they kill him if he did steal emails?

They pulled the story after they said Seth was murdered for sharing leaking emails with Wikileaks. They are in a bind, how do they prove it? Nobody was caught so the other side claims it just a conspiracy. The robbery theory does not hold water when the robber stole nothing but this is the officially accepted version a botched robbery. I just find it interesting the person who did this was never found and supposedly Seth rich was still alive when he was found and he died in Hospital. There should be police body camera footage that never got released.

I think it's interesting when Assange hinted Seth was a source for them and they offered a reward for information. Why would you bother if he was not whistleblowing? There just clues there he was the leaker. They kill him for wrecking Hilary campaign chances this was a big deal as you know and upset the power base in Washington. He was killed in the same year near the same month June or July 2016 around the same time the emails got hacked, interesting coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Journalism is not an excuse to ignore laws.

*American laws.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Do you believe war crimes should be kept secret?

If a drone dropped a bomb on your family and killed them and the government kept it secret, what would you think? Would you want someone to expose the crime?

Probably. And I am sure that the police here in the US would be much happier if the laws of evidence admissibility did not apply, or that there was no 4th or 5th Amendment protection for suspected criminals etc. Pesky rules. We accept a number of limitations in our system for the overall better running of society. If there is an unsolicited leak, as the Pentagon Papers case affirmed, the press are protected. And, arguably, a legitimate whistleblower would also be protected under the whistleblower protection laws anyway. Especially if he attempted to resolve the problem within the system before deciding he had to go outside it. This does not apply in the case of Manning.

And it’s not as if Wikileaks attempted to dig into a specific incident they believed to be a war crime anyway. They sought and then released a general unredacted data dump without any attempt to assess the relevancy or otherwise of the material released, and focused on an incident they claimed to be a war crime in a case of post-facto justification of the breach.

They pulled the story after they said Seth was murdered for sharing leaking emails with Wikileaks. They are in a bind, how do they prove it? Nobody was caught so the other side claims it just a conspiracy. The robbery theory does not hold water when the robber stole nothing but this is the officially accepted version a botched robbery. I just find it interesting the person who did this was never found and supposedly Seth rich was still alive when he was found and he died in Hospital. There should be police body camera footage that never got released.

I think it's interesting when Assange hinted Seth was a source for them and they offered a reward for information. Why would you bother if he was not whistleblowing? There just clues there he was the leaker. They kill him for wrecking Hilary campaign chances this was a big deal as you know and upset the power base in Washington. He was killed in the same year near the same month June or July 2016 around the same time the emails got hacked, interesting coincidence.

To spread disinformation, everything Wikileaks has put on their website is 100% factual and not doctored to the best of my knowledge, but that doesn't mean Assange wouldn't mislead people when talking publicly. I remember it like yesterday, when the leaks started a lot of the media were speculating on the source mentioning Russia more than they were talking about their contents. Perhaps that was his way to counter the narrative.

The intelligence communities later said publicly on the record a cut out was used to pass the information to Wikileaks. Assange isn't stupid, he probably had a fair idea of where they came from, I didn't believe it at the time either because the DNC paid a third party to do the investigation into their server, and refused access to the FBI/DHS.

It is an interesting coincidence that a DNC staffer was murdered around the same time period, and that no real motive was found, or that anyone connected to the crime was found. I can see why it got so much traction. It is an interesting theory I just don't believe it. If he was the source why would they murder him, to send a message? It just doesn't make any sense to me and it seems like a perfect opportunity for him to sow doubt into peoples minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What's your opinion on Edward Snowden?

I don't like him either. He also let info out that made the World a less secure place and let groups like ISIS form.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    It's guys like you with opinions like this that need to be locked up.

Why because I want the World to be safe and not have idiots like this in the World making it a less secure place by putting info out there that should not be out there and helping groups like ISIS to form.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

What house was broken in to? What laws were broken by Assange or Manning?

If these two people transgressed technicalities of the state, if they did, was that not in the service of the truth?

The truth, in case you had not noticed, is that whole societies and countries are being laid waste by a rampant imperialism.

Making Assange the focus is based on the logic of Alice In Wonderland.
    It reminds me of the priest in our religious knowledge class asking if it would have been right to kill Hitler to forestall Nazi barbarism?
    "No" according to Father Right-On. Adopting his absurd religious garbage. "Killing is never right."

Rather like your inflation of the 'crimes' of Assange and Manning into the issue. You dismiss context. You don't ignore the elephant in the room. You create a new room entirely with only Assange and Manning in it.

It is utterly absurd to give the filthy campaign against Assange any creedence.

According to you the world must turn its beady eye on the demon Assange.
    Millions see this argument for the complete lie it is.
    Multi-millions are turning their eyes on the ruling classes and their crimes.

• Advertisement

Probably. And I am sure that the police here in the US would be much happier if the laws of evidence admissibility did not apply, or that there was no 4th or 5th Amendment protection for suspected criminals etc. Pesky rules. We accept a number of limitations in our system for the overall better running of society. If there is an unsolicited leak, as the Pentagon Papers case affirmed, the press are protected. And, arguably, a legitimate whistleblower would also be protected under the whistleblower protection laws anyway. Especially if he attempted to resolve the problem within the system before deciding he had to go outside it. This does not apply in the case of Manning.

And it’s not as if Wikileaks attempted to dig into a specific incident they believed to be a war crime anyway. They sought and then released a general unredacted data dump without any attempt to assess the relevancy or otherwise of the material released, and focused on an incident they claimed to be a war crime in a case of post-facto justification of the breach.

Better running of society? Are you ok with it as long it does not affect you?. What about war crimes the USA never admitted to around the world? Don't other nationalities have a say what good for them?

NSA denied for years they spied on American citizens, even under oath when asked by Congress members. Snowden leaked the truth and he had to hide out in Russia for the rest of his life for it. You naive if you think their whistleblowing protection nowadays. Maybe back in the 70s not today. There no way you change the system from within if the intelligence agencies decide to keep info secret. You do realise intelligence agencies destroy incriminating info? The CIA even admitted they destroyed all the 9/11 terrorist interrogation tapes, to prevent independent sources outside the agencies watching them and seeing the torture.

They released info about war crimes when US forces were in occupation of Iraq. Soldiers have to maintain standards even during a war. They can't just murder innocent people when they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Seth had access to DNC server he was a Bernie supporter and he did it, to get back at the DNC for conspiring against Bernie Sanders.

Seth murderer was never caught. The police said it was a robbery, yet the robber never stole anything from him.. I think he was murdered for leaking info but that my viewpoint.
    That's the exact point I made. People like you believe the Seth Rich conspiracy theory because people like WikiLeaks pushed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I don't like him either. He also let info out that made the World a less secure place and let groups like ISIS form.

Why because I want the World to be safe and not have idiots like this in the World making it a less secure place by putting info out there that should not be out there and helping groups like ISIS to form.

Edward Snowden didn't help groups like ISIS to form. You should really do a little reading up on this if you are going to make comments like that on the issue. It shows an extreme level of ignorance on what he did.

To spread disinformation, everything Wikileaks has put on their website is 100% factual and not doctored to the best of my knowledge, but that doesn't mean Assange wouldn't mislead people when talking publicly. I remember it like yesterday, when the leaks started a lot of the media were speculating on the source mentioning Russia more than they were talking about their contents. Perhaps that was his way to counter the narrative.

The intelligence communities later said publicly on the record a cut out was used to pass the information to Wikileaks. Assange isn't stupid, he probably had a fair idea of where they came from, I didn't believe it at the time either because the DNC paid a third party to do the investigation into their server, and refused access to the FBI/DHS.

It is an interesting coincidence that a DNC staffer was murdered around the same time period, and that no real motive was found, or that anyone connected to the crime was found. I can see why it got so much traction. It is an interesting theory I just don't believe it. If he was the source why would they murder him, to send a message? It just doesn't make any sense to me and it seems like a perfect opportunity for him to sow doubt into peoples minds.

Why would he mislead the public when he never told lies before? There even a new narrative now since Trump got elected Assange is a Russian puppet and always was one.

When his group was leaking info about crimes in Iraq nobody was saying this group was Russian backed. It only now since the US intelligence is linking the two, people are saying so. The same people, saying this, were for two years claiming Trump and the Russians were colluding to undermine US democracy. That story got debunked after two years of non-stop debate on the politic forum.

It would not surprise me if this happened, it may be untrue. US intelligence needed a scapegoat to blame the hack on. With Seth Rich out of the way, they could plant the Russian hacker into the mix and blame the Russian government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

None of the people Assange and others like him have exposed have ever been "dragged out to face justice" or had to leave their country and go into hiding.

It's always the whistleblowers who have to endure this fate.

Tells you all you need to know really about the so called 'free western democracies'.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's the exact point I made. People like you believe the Seth Rich conspiracy theory because people like WikiLeaks pushed it

Wikileaks did not speak about it they don't disclose sources publically. It was info that seemed to spread due to his work

Seth rich info
    In 2014, he began working for the Democratic National Committee (DNC) as the Voter Expansion Data Director. One of his tasks at the DNC was the development of a computer application to help voters locate polling station.

It gave him access to the server where the hack took place in June and July 2016.

When he was murdered strangely in the middle of the night at 4am in the morning, just weeks after the hack, people found it strange. The police said nothing was taken, yet he was shot multiple times. Accounts I read he was still conscious ( may have said something) The police were at the scene and they had body cameras, this footage was never released. Again we never know the motive really with nobody caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

In fairness I would think it was the illegal invasion and destruction of Iraq that was the catalyst for the creation of ISIS.

It's utterly bizarre and almost funny that someone would try to pin that on Edward Snowden :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don't believe anyone here has done so.

It is already settled law in the US that the mere publication of classified material is not a criminal offense. That dates back at least to the Pentagon Papers in the Vietnam era. The method of obtaining said information, however, can be, which is apparently what is being charged here.

Exactly. It's not the publishing. It's the illegal means by which the info was aquired and the "publisher's" part in that.

PVNevin wrote: »
    Julian Assange has never been charged with anything.

Well now, that's an interesting point. Especially when this thread is basically about how he has been charged with something.

• Advertisement

After the global elites had Seth Rich killed for leaking inside information on the Democrats, Wikileaks had every right to go after them.

We have a weirdo forum somewhere around here for people who get their information from some bloke in a basement. You should check it out.

Advertisement