Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

We must protect our luciferian worshipping elites that control the financial system and mass produced mainstream media from any inside information on their pedaphila rings, wars fermented and control over the world population.

Dude!

I could pick on your use of the word fermented or your spelling of diddlin' but I feel sorry for you so go get help.

Seriously, get help.

Unless you're trolling. If you are, troll on.

AMKC wrote:
    I don't like him either. He also let info out that made the World a less secure place and let groups like ISIS form.

AMKC wrote:
    Why because I want the World to be safe and not have idiots like this in the World making it a less secure place by putting info out there that should not be out there and helping groups like ISIS to form.

Snowdon made ISIS?

*makes note to disregard all your future opinions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zorya wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I think he did the world a service.
    What service did he do?

Quite apart from the Swedish allegations, he oversaw the leakage of US and allied diplomatic and other communications to the broad approval of the Kremin, while - asymmetrically - withholding any equivalent compromising Russian communications, also to the approval of the Kremlin.

That's not a service.

On the contrary, it's providing political cover and material to a regime which seeks to undermine and destroy the institutions which underpin our political, judicial, economic and other systems.

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't like him either. He also let info out that made the World a less secure place and let groups like ISIS form.

That's bull****.

He exposed government surveillance that should not have been happening. He had nothing to do with ISIS.

That being said, his tweets about secret police today were a bit retarded. It's hard to know how much influence the Russians have on him at this point.

But I think he was right to expose what the US was doing to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

That's bull****.

He exposed government surveillance that should not have been happening. He had nothing to do with ISIS.

That being said, his tweets about secret police today were a bit retarded. It's hard to know how much influence the Russians have on him at this point.

But I think he was right to expose what the US was doing to the world.
    He's on twitter ?? Since when???

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    What service did he do?

Quite apart from the Swedish allegations, he oversaw the leakage of US and allied diplomatic and other communications to the broad approval of the Kremin, while - asymmetrically - withholding any equivalent compromising Russian communications, also to the approval of the Kremlin.

That's not a service.

On the contrary, it's providing political cover and material to a regime which seeks to undermine and destroy the institutions which underpin our political, judicial, economic and other systems.

To be fair, it did appear to be a transparency organisation before 2014 when they were about to publish Russian dirt and they had a change of heart for some (visit from goons who don't use articles) reason.

Since then he worked for Russia Today and pushed Seth Rich nonsense.

mbur wrote: »
    He's on twitter ?? Since when???

No idea but he's here now.

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1116288726601277440

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

To be fair, it did appear to be a transparency organisation before 2014 when they were about to publish Russian dirt and they had a change of heart for some (visit from goons who don't use articles) reason.
    Yes, it certainly looked like an honest organization right up until the moment it had to decide if it would publish anything detrimental to the interests of the Kremlin.

BTW, the diplomatic cables from the US Embassy in Moscow are a treasure trove of fascinating, and frequently very elegantly-written, information about the inner workings of the Russian state and the strange characters who inhabit that dangerous world.

Yes, it certainly looked like an honest organization right up until the moment it had to decide if it would publish anything detrimental to the interests of the Kremlin.

BTW, the diplomatic cables from the US Embassy in Moscow are a treasure trove of fascinating, and frequently very elegantly-written, information about the inner workings of the Russian state and the strange characters who inhabit that dangerous world.

Oh I know. The same Russians keep popping up everywhere. Prigozhin ops in madascar, for example. Anyway, this is veering off topic so I'll leave it at that.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's the exact point I made. People like you believe the Seth Rich conspiracy theory because people like WikiLeaks pushed it

Wtf

Cheerful Spring is the biggest conspiracy theorist on this site. He's been posting about 9/11 daily for years and years.

Stop turning the most extreme posters on the site into caricatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Many see Assange as a hero for the free press when his actions have actually done the most damage to free press. He worked with Russia intelligence to release the Clinton emails including the timing to have the maximum benefit for Trump. That’s worked out great with Trumo now waging a war on the press calling them fake news and the enemy of he people.

Also the Obama administration never had any indictment for Assange, it’s his buddy Trump’s justice department who have indicted him for advising Chelsea Manning(who’s sentence was commuted by Obama) on her hacking. Trump praises Wikileaks 140 times leading up to the election. Today he says he doesn’t know about Wikileaks. Funny how that worked out.

You were doing ok till the last three lines. Hard to hide that bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I really like this lady. Is it too much to hope she could become President of the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I really like this lady. Is it too much to hope she could become President of the US?

Speaks well in the video, but she once supported gay conversion therapy, she has come out to denied she said(until that was proven a lie) and then that she doesn't believe in conversion therapy.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Speaks well in the video, but she once supported gay conversion therapy, she has come out to denied she said(until that was proven a lie) and then that she doesn't believe in conversion therapy.

Sounds like she changed her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Assange is not a journalist. He is a political activist. Clearly in more recent years he is a political activist in Putin's pocket.
    Even before that, his 2010 data dump was reckless and coldly indifferent to the dangers it posed to ordinary Afghan citizens. Whether exposing the data was justified or not is arguable, but failing to redact the names of the hundreds of Afghanis who were mentioned as having provided information to the Americans on Taliban activities exposed them and their families to the most extreme danger - and still does. No "journalist" with any ethics would have done it.

Good article also here :https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/11/opinions/julian-assange-activist-not-journalist-ghitis/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sounds like she changed her mind.

Only after she denied it and was caught out lying. If she was upfront in the first instance I'd agree she changed her mind. She was trying to hide it

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Only after she denied it and was caught out lying. If she was upfront in the first instance I'd agree she changed her mind. She was trying to hide it

Reasonable point. I will change my endorsement. I like her a lot more than all the other liars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm glad he is out of that embassy... Hiding in there like a Rat for years, he would be in there for the rest of his life if they didn't drag him out... All the abuse he reportedly gave the embassy staff, biting off the hand that feeds him. He needs to face those allegations that girl made against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'm not gonna say I'm in a position to Judge but the US suddenly throwing a charge even if its weak and petty at him serves only to vindicate his paranoia and really doesnt do them any favours. Hell it mightve been better to do nothing or have been strait up and levelled charges sooner to begin with. The timing only serves to fuel conspiracy theorists.

That being said Assange may have been hold up in there far too long and there's no telling how it could affect someone mentally. Might have been for the best that he finally got thrown out of the embassy and I wouldn't be suprised a few of then are glad hes gone from there inside.

As for wikileaks I'd say they did themselves no favours by sticking their noses into the American election the way they did it only ended up letting themselves be used as a proxy by Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Adam Bolton on Sky News this morning introduced a piece on this by saying "Lisa is outside the embassy and Lisa, I guess they'll be having the cleaners in there today...". Lisa then went on to say "I'll just leave it to your imagination what sort of state the room might have been in...". I don't know if this kind of reporting is funny, bizarre, or just downright insulting. Maybe all of the above. I don't know why they would think the room would be filthy or why cleaners would be barred from entering the room when he was there.

Anyway, what was funny was someone changed the notice on the street outside from "Bicycles left unattended will be removed" to read "Journalists left unattended will be removed". Thanks Lisa, looking forward to more updates from you later. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AllForIt wrote: »
    Adam Bolton on Sky News this morning introduced a piece on this by saying "Lisa is outside the embassy and Lisa, I guess they'll be having the cleaners in there today...". Lisa then went on to say "I'll just leave it to your imagination what sort of state the room might have been in...". I don't know if this kind of reporting is funny, bizarre, or just downright insulting. Maybe all of the above. I don't know why they would think the room would be filthy or why cleaners would be barred from entering the room when he was there.

Anyway, what was funny was someone changed the notice on the street outside from "Bicycles left unattended will be removed" to read "Journalists left unattended will be removed". Thanks Lisa, looking forward to more updates from you later. I think.

He had a reputation as being less than hygienic so it was jsut humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,058 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FFS.

The doctor that found a cure for smallpox, did he also find a cure for cancer?

Assange and wikileaks have done nothing except report facts.

Why people can't see this as a terrible precident is beyond me.

He reported facts all right, extreeeemely selectively. Facts supplied to him via Russsian intelligence.

That people are too thick to see that he's a puppet of Putin is worrying. They'll believe any gobdaw who sets themselves up as anti-establishment (see Gemma O'Doherty :rolleyes: )

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,058 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PVNevin wrote: »
    Julian Assange has never been charged with anything.

How can you jump bail if you've never been charged with anything :rolleyes:

To think that once upon a time, people thought the internet would make humanity smarter.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's guys like you with opinions like this that need to be locked up.

There's no hard man like an internet hard man. :rolleyes:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Better running of society? Are you ok with it as long it does not affect you?. What about war crimes the USA never admitted to around the world? Don't other nationalities have a say what good for them?

I probably would be a bit irked if it directly affected me, yes. But that does not deny the annoying little items of due process which I note you have ignored. It may mean that some guilty go free, but you see few people clamoring to eliminate protections which benefit society as a whole. For example, if police think someone has done some criminal activity, they still need to tell a judge exactly what they are looking for before the warrant is signed to search a place. A judge will not sign a warrant on the basis of “we’ll know what he did wrong after we find it”.
    NSA denied for years they spied on American citizens, even under oath when asked by Congress members. Snowden leaked the truth and he had to hide out in Russia for the rest of his life for it.

Here was me thinking he was on the run because he leaked over a million files, only some of which were related to the program with which he took exception. Politifact has an overview of the NSA / Congress thing. That was a general balls-up and neither the Congressman nor Clapper acted correctly. There were ways of telling Congress what was going on without putting the NSA rep between a rock and a hard place. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/mar/11/james-clappers-testimony-one-year-later/
    They released info about war crimes when US forces were in occupation of Iraq. Soldiers have to maintain standards even during a war. They can't just murder innocent people when they feel like it.

Supposedly they released such information. I note a decided lack of any convictions coming as a result. I do recall a large brouhaha when people were reminded that sometimes mistakes are made in a war and the wrong people die. I also recall a very large dump of information which had nothing to do whatsoever with any alleged war crimes and, like Snowden’s release, consisted of a significant release of information with no justifiable claim for the public interest.
    PVNevin wrote: »
    What house was broken in to? What laws were broken by Assange or Manning?

If these two people transgressed technicalities of the state, if they did, was that not in the service of the truth?

The US’s house. And, apparently, the laws relating to accessing classified information. If their motivation purely was in merely the service of the truth, then they went about it an extremely incompetent and careless manner.

Whistleblowing is simple. “I know this illegal act is happening. Standard recourse has not worked. I will blow the whistle on this illegal act by releasing evidence of that illegal act which I have, and only that illegal act, to someone who will publish it”. WikiLeaks has not followed this model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What service did he do?

So what, he's a western journalist opposing Western imperialism. Its a bit like accusing Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein of helping the Kremlin when they were investigating WaterGate.
    That's not a service.

it is.

Its western journalism, exposing American lies and activities.

the funny thing about the new cold warriors is not just that they sound like the John Birch society but that when the Soviet Union did in fact exist it did seek to undermine and destroy the institutions which underpin our political, judicial, economic and other systems ( with communism) but saying so was considered gauche. The modern Russia as boogey men is a tale for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He reported facts all right, extreeeemely selectively. Facts supplied to him via Russsian intelligence.

No evidence at all of that. Are you saying that the Russians broke into these classified information.
    That people are too thick to see that he's a puppet of Putin is worrying. They'll believe any gobdaw who sets themselves up as anti-establishment (see Gemma O'Doherty :rolleyes: )

I worry more about anti-Russian hysteria and the "thickness" with which the general population that accepts these fairy tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think they arrested the wrong man.
    I'm pretty sure I saw Santa being bundled into the police van.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

AllForIt wrote: »

Because he was a dirty bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,035 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Because he was a dirty bastard.

How dare they leak this information :pac:

Advertisement