Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

I suppose you can't say Assange lacks all empathy! - Here is justifying his refusal to face the rape charges on the grounds that it would be unfair to expose the women to being reviled forever by a large segment of the world's population (maybe he was aware of some Boards users - he keeps an eye on these things!):

"In one astonishing scene, Assange talks to Helena Kennedy QC, who is advising him on how to deal with the allegations. Assange says, as if to excuse himself, that it is a “radical feminist conspiracy” and dismisses the complainants as lesbians. Kennedy tells him it is not helpful to talk like this. “No, not publicly,” he says, while being filmed. Her look of despair is priceless. Assange then explains why it is not in the best interests of the women to press charges. “An actual court case is going to be very hard for these women … they will be reviled for ever by a large segment of the world population. I don’t think it’s in their interest to proceed that way.’’
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/29/laura-poitras-wikileaks-film-risk-julian-assange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

1641 wrote: »
    I suppose you can't say Assange lacks all empathy! - Here is justifying his refusal to face the rape charges on the grounds that it would be unfair to expose the women to being reviled forever by a large segment of the world's population (maybe he was aware of some Boards users - he keeps an eye on these things!):

He didn't refuse to face the rape charges, he refused to travel to Sweden because the Swedish authorities would not give an assurance that they would not extradite him to the US.

Venom wrote: »
    Yeah with a 100% guarantee to be extradited to the US afterwards. I don't think anyone with two brain cells to rub together is going to risk that trip. If Sweden is so concerned with justice, why not give him a cast iron deal that extradition to the states is completely off the table?

Where did the extradition from Sweden thing come from ? Did the Swedes ever receive a US extradition request? Or did the extradition risk to the US come from Assange to justify not going to Sweden to face the charges - a smokescreen,in other words?

A US extradition request could just as easily have been made to the UK then - as it has now.

As I understand it, in Swedish law (no expert!) each case must be addressed on its own merit. As no extradition request from the US has been received it is not possible to adjudicate one way or the other. But if he is extradited there from the UK to Sweden then Sweden cannot then extradite him further without permission from the UK. That's what I understood from this anyway:
    https://www.aklagare.se/en/nyheter--press/media/the-assange-matter/kan-assange-utlamnas-fran-sverige-till-usa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I can't see past the obnoxious behavior of Assange and Snowden to have any pity for their plight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I can't see past the obnoxious behavior of Assange and Snowden to have any pity for their plight.

...What did Snowden do to piss you off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Maybe your applause will help him escape from federal supermax because he's going there for 20 years.

Leaks always get plugged..he was a big shot in his own mind now he's going to rot in prison.

I'm sure that's probably the case, I'm merely outlining that unlike many others, I haven't stopped supporting him. In my view, those who have are incredibly hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

These two men are heroes who done yourself and the rest of the world a massive favor and paid for it with their freedom. Do you despise Chelsea Manning? What about Maurice McCabe? Don't forget, it is not unusual for whistle blowers to be smeared with sexual allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

These two men are heroes who done yourself and the rest of the world a massive favor and paid for it with their freedom. Do you despise Chelsea Manning? What about Maurice McCabe? Don't forget, it is not unusual for whistle blowers to be smeared with sexual allegations.

Difinetly not, both Chelsea Manning and Maurice McCabe stood their ground with humility. The other two are egotistical hypocrites.

Don't forget, it is not unusual for whistle blowers to be smeared with sexual allegations.

So you are joining your "hero" in smearing the women concerned? "Lesbians" seemed to be one of his smears/excuse/justification. Not very heroic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Has Snowden been obnoxious? I'm not saying he hasn't, just the whatever he is up to in Russia has slipped off my radar almost entirely for the last few years.

• Advertisement

1641 wrote: »
    So you are joining your "hero" in smearing the women concerned? "Lesbians" seemed to be one of his smears/excuse/justification. Not very heroic.

I mean heroic in a Luke Skywalker sense as opposed to opening the door for the ladies sense. F**K them filthy wh*res

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Justice (thankfully) is not based on your sense of empathy/sympathy/antipathy.

I hope you know that.

I mean heroic in a Luke Skywalker sense as opposed to opening the door for the ladies sense. F**K them filthy wh*res[/QUOTE]

Well, in whatever sense he is your hero I don't think you should join his PR team.
    But fair play - you do show that for the true Assangie he could never do any wrong. It would always be someone elses fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Assange does have questions to answer in Sweden so extradite him there and tear up the US extradition documentation.

He lived in that woman's apartment after the "rape" for a week. Why would she have her rapist live with her? Stockholm syndrome? The other one got an STD at some stage and reported to the police to track him down in case she had passed it on to him. Sometime after that the allegations were made. Any woman walking around with an STD is a wh*ore in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A pretty good summary by Lauren Chen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The other one got an STD at some stage and reported to the police to track him down in case she had passed it on to him.

Any woman walking around with an STD is a wh*ore in my book

The first statement is incorrect as far as I know. Ardin and Wilen initially went to the police station because they wanted Assange to take an STD test. They did not want him charged with rape, in fact objected strongly to the idea.

The second statement is really unpleasant. And also incorrect.

Zorya wrote:
    The first statement is incorrect as far as I know. .
    Zorya wrote:

I think they all show that the trial should before a judge and jury - rather than on the basis of internet "facts".

Zorya wrote: »

OK fair enough, any woman walking around with an STD as a result of promiscuity is a filthy w*hore.

Mod-Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

OK fair enough, any woman walking around with an STD as a result of promiscuity is a filthy w*hore.

O for goodness sake :rolleyes: that didn't improve matters at all. :pac:

Did she get the STD from the carpet, was it? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Any woman walking around with an STD is a wh*ore in my book

Well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Any woman with an STD probably got it from a man. Let us hear what you have to say about men with STDs, right.

As for Assange, he needs to go to Sweden and face the legal system there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,507 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

biko wrote:
    A pretty good summary by Lauren Chen
    Never heard of her in my life, didn't watch the video. Why would put up a video opinion of a nobody?

Calina wrote:
    As for Assange, he needs to go to Sweden and face the legal system there.
    I'd agree as long as he has assurances he will not be sent to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

eagle eye wrote: »
    Never heard of her in my life, didn't watch the video. Why would put up a video opinion of a nobody?
    That's fine. I'm sure you can find someone famous to help you with their opinion.

biko wrote:
    That's fine. I'm sure you can find someone famous to help you with their opinion.
    There are enough opinions on here without introducing people to a nobody who doesn't even post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd agree as long as he has assurances he will not be sent to the US.

He cannot have them. The politicians cannot interfere in the judicial system. Judges cannot pre empt the legal process. What you are demanding is basically corruption.

Plus, it is easier to send him to the US from the UK but you know that. Or should.

Wikileaks will survive without his tender loving care. It has to otherwise it brings nothing of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Assange is scum. He put alot of ppl in danger without regard to the consequences. Also wikileaks is most assuredly a russian front group.

Calina wrote:
    He cannot have them. The politicians cannot interfere in the judicial system. Judges cannot pre empt the legal process. What you are demanding is basically corruption.
    I'm saying that he should be given assurances that if he is found not guilty that he will be free to leave the country.
    That has nothing to do with the legal system and all to do with politics. The Swedish government can make it clear that they will not accept any request from any country as regards Assange until a day after his case ends.

• Advertisement

Sean.3516 wrote:
    Assange is scum. He put alot of ppl in danger without regard to the consequences. Also wikileaks is most assuredly a russian front group.
    I think you work for the CIA.

Advertisement