Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Zorya wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1116362494757314560

Julian Assange's lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, says "This sets a dangerous precedent... any journalist can be extradited for prosecution in the US for having published truthful information about the US"

he is not being extradited for that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

he is not being extradited for that though.

https://twitter.com/jacklgoldsmith/status/1116371125582409729
    Former US Assistant Attorney General and Harvard Law Prof

Edit - that ''Har'' at the top is a misplaced word when i was writing ''Harvard'' and I don't know how to remove it...I wasn't saying ''Har'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1116362494757314560

Julian Assange's lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, says "This sets a dangerous precedent... any journalist can be extradited for prosecution in the US for having published truthful information about the US"

But assange is not a journalist ,

Journalist have some protections but hackers and other cyber criminals don't have the same protection not should they ever

Gatling wrote: »
    But assange is not a journalist ,

Journalist have some protections but hackers and other cyber criminals don't have the same protection not should they ever

Is there some sort of conferring ceremony that 'journalists' undergo? He was a participant in the media - Oxford dict - a person who writes for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or prepares news to be broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Is there some sort of conferring ceremony that 'journalists' undergo? He was a participant in the media - Oxford dict - a person who writes for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or prepares news to be broadcast.

There seems to be a new profession of people who are suddenly journalists when it suits them

Apparently if you decide to hack into your company's emails, expose them all, doing whatever damage, you can apparently do so under the auspices of being a "journalist, revealing the truth"

• Advertisement

Is there some sort of conferring ceremony that 'journalists' undergo?

No but it's quite simple .

Assange is not a journalist he's a hacker or facilitator of hackers that he then uses for blantant self promotion for his over inflated ego ,

He's a common garden criminal nothing more and nothing less ,I know people want to believe he's some kind of warrior single handedly fighting against all government wrongs,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has anyone reached out to Sash to see what he makes of the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gonna be interesting to follow this one. For what it's worth, I think he did the world a service. The assault accusations against always seemed contrary to me. Then again, he could be a despicable sex pest and still have done the world a service with his leaks on illegal activities.

Has he released much info on illegal Russian or Chinese activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Assange is not a journalist he's a hacker or facilitator of hackers that he then uses for blantant self promotion for his over inflated ego ,

He's a common garden criminal nothing more and nothing less ,I know people want to believe he's some kind of warrior single handedly fighting against all government wrongs,

According to you? Sure. Others would argue that we don't live in the 1920's anymore and in the modern world we live in the title of "journalist" is a pretty nebulous one.

For example, I don't consider what the folks at TMZ do journalism but other people do. And they avail of the same protections afforded to the press that the likes of CNN have.

My point being, who exactly decides if he's a journalist or not? Certainly not the people with a vested interest in locking him up. One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. I find it odd that an Irish person wouldn't understand that distinction or lack thereof.

Assange is not a journalist

He is, one can be many different things - he fulfils the function of journalist

he's a hacker or facilitator of hackers

yes, he is a hacker - that is a modern way of getting information for people who wish to publish it to wider audience. People investigating used to use physical real world methods in the days of yore, now they sometimes hack. So what?

that he then uses for blantant self promotion for his over inflated ego

This is your personal expression of dislike for the man - it is subjective and irrelevant to the bigger issues

He's a common garden criminal nothing more and nothing less

Thus far he is not convicted of anything. So again this is personal projection, a bit like those who say without sources that Assange is in the ''pocket of Putin''. It is unproven declamatory subjective commentary.

,I know people want to believe he's some kind of warrior single handedly fighting against all government wrongs

I think anyone sensible - and many top level legal experts have rowed in to agree - is concerned for freedom of the press. Obama would not seek to prosecute him because of the danger to fundamental rights.

I wish I knew how to break up a single quote to respond to it without this palaver.. :(

• Advertisement

Have you? Have at it, I say. Fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have you? Have at it, I say. Fill the gap.

Aw come on now. That's up there with the 'you don't like Mission Impossible, well lets see you make a film' argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I wish I knew how to break up a single quote to respond to it without this palaver.. :(

Don't bother, nobody reads multi quotes

FFS.

The doctor that found a cure for smallpox, did he also find a cure for cancer?

Assange and wikileaks have done nothing except report facts.

Why people can't see this as a terrible precident is beyond me.

No you don't need it .

All I took is your opinion is all that matters,

Unfortunately facts mean more assange is not a journalist bar his legal team and you nobody else has ever claimed assange was a journalist ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Interesting comment from greenwald. Obama didn’t want to pursue charges, Trump does.

At least the charges are on hacking rather than endangering security which would be a fairly big blow to press freedom.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1116383095605927943?s=20

Aw come on now. That's up there with the 'you don't like Mission Impossible, well lets see you make a film' argument.

Why not? :) Making a movie is not that damn hard.

By the way for those saying he is not a journalist, here are some facts I did not know....
    The year 2010 culminated with the Sam Adams Award, which Assange accepted in October and a string of distinctions in December—the Le Monde readers' choice award for person of the year, the Time readers' choice award for person of the year (he was also a runner-up in Time's overall person of the year award)

In 2012, Assange hosted a television show on RT (formerly known as Russia Today), a network funded by the Russian government. In the same year, he analysed the Kissinger cables held at the US National Archives and released them in searchable form.

The following February, he won the Sydney Peace Foundation Gold Medal for Peace with Justice, previously awarded to only three people—Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Buddhist spiritual leader Daisaku Ikeda.[123] Two weeks later, he filed for the trademark "Julian Assange" in Europe, which was to be used for "Public speaking services; news reporter services; journalism; publication of texts other than publicity texts; education services; entertainment services." For several years a member of the Australian journalists' union and still an honorary member, he was awarded the Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism in June, having earlier won the Amnesty International UK Media Award (New Media) in 2009.[132]

For a not-a-journalist he has a lot of journalism and journalist awards under his belt :rolleyes:

No you don't need it .

All I took is your opinion is all that matters,

Unfortunately facts mean more assange is not a journalist bar his legal team and you nobody else has ever claimed assange was a journalist ,

Those of you who are partisan Democrats should realise that this guy is an utter pro American militarist.

You should also probably take into account that Trump was attacked for verbally attacking the press, now he is legally attacking press freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

https://twitter.com/jacklgoldsmith/status/1116371125582409729
    Former US Assistant Attorney General and Harvard Law Prof

Edit - that ''Har'' at the top is a misplaced word when i was writing ''Harvard'' and I don't know how to remove it...I wasn't saying ''Har'' :D

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1116388407251333120

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you can't fight the deep state and win

• Advertisement

Why not? :) Making a movie is not that damn hard.

By the way for those saying he is not a journalist, here are some facts I did not know....

For a not-a-journalist he has a lot of journalism and journalist awards under his belt :rolleyes:

Then he upset Hilary and her supporters.

FFS.

The doctor that found a cure for smallpox, did he also find a cure for cancer?

Assange and wikileaks have done nothing except report facts.

Why people can't see this as a terrible precident is beyond me.

They'd have him on a pedestal if he released stuff on Trump. They are small minded weak people who don't even realise their own bias.

I remember when Assange was a hero. These scrotes used to like him, too. Pathetic.

Here's some of Assange's journalism. Revealing some of the truth about the war in Iraq.

https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1116374507701329920

By the way President Obama pardoned Chelsea Manning for the activity which people are extremely excited to see Assange charged in relation with.

These same people are the ones calling for someone to leak the Mueller Report.

They're driven solely by bias and are as useless a person you can get in society. Ask them if they think whistleblowers are acceptable and they'll run a march around their head trying to see how it would benefit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Didn't Assange put out an encrypted file which was claimed to hold some seriously damaging stuff. With the threat if he was ever arrested the key would be released and the contents of the file would be available to the world to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Didn't Assange put out an encrypted file which was claimed to hold some seriously damaging stuff. With the threat if he was ever arrested the key would be released and the contents of the file would be available to the world to see

Yeah, google Wikileaks doomsday or insurance files.

Here's some of Assange's journalism. Revealing some of the truth about the war in Iraq.

And here is some of Assange's journalism revealing the truth about Russian corruption

I think we should remember to ask every single person who wants stuff leaked to specify exactly who on their own side should also have stuff leaked on so as to make the information genuine.

"Facts can only be facts if equally damaging."
    - some vitamin-D deficient wanker

I think we should remember to ask every single person who wants stuff leaked to specify exactly who on their own side should also have stuff leaked on so as to make the information genuine.

There has to be a point to it. Hacking and leaking information solely to damage/embarrass enemies is not journalism, it's espionage

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    And here is some of Assange's journalism revealing the truth about Russian corruption

Remember assange used to be a regular on Kremlin TV aka rt ,

Advertisement