Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    And here is some of Assange's journalism revealing the truth about Russian corruption

Reveal the truth about Russian corruption yourself. I happen to personally know bloggers who do just that. On with ya. I already said Assange was biased - like every other source of information. So what?

And by the way comparing present day Russian corruption to the war in Iraq is kind of pathetic - for all the sh!te that goes on in Russia - and no, not collusion in foreign elections - the death toll from the Iraq war will one day, when people stop licking arses, be called what it is - an extermination, a modern Holocaust. More than 2 million people have died since 2003 in Iraq since that US invasion. Bloody disgusting to compare it to something like ''Russian corruption''.

There has to be a point to it. Hacking and leaking information solely to damage/embarrass enemies is not journalism, it's espionage

And he isn't a hacker. He's a place for whistleblowers to share their information.

Just say it now. Say you're against whistleblowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There has to be a point to it. Hacking and leaking information solely to damage/embarrass enemies is not journalism, it's espionage

Lets not beat around the bush here. It's journalism when it hurts my enemies. It's espionage when it hurts me.

I'm pretty left leaning on a lot of issues but the mental gymnastics at play here by supposed lefties is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Zorya wrote: »
    Reveal the truth about Russian corruption yourself. I happen to personally know bloggers who do just that. On with ya. I already said Assange was biased - like every other source of information. So what?

And by the way comparing present day Russian corruption to the war in Iraq is kind of pathetic - for all the sh!te that goes on in Russia - and no, not collusion in foreign elections - the death toll from the Iraq war will one day, when people stop licking arses, be called what it is - an extermination, a modern Holocaust. More than 2 million people have died since 2003 in Iraq since that US invasion. Bloody disgusting to compare it to something like ''Russian corruption''.

How many died in Syria or are you one of those murica did this and murica did that .
    Russia good.

Gatling wrote: »
    How many died in Syria or are you one of those murica did this and murica did that .
    Russia good.

:confused:

Your deflections are just...well, nonsensical. Sorry, I cannot reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Here's some of Assange's journalism. Revealing some of the truth about the war in Iraq.

https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1116374507701329920

By the way President Obama pardoned Chelsea Manning for the activity which people are extremely excited to see Assange charged in relation with.

Oohhh Gatling won't like that, this wasn't in the Amerika ****kkk yeah films as a kid.... No wonder he has a bee in his bonnet about Assange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

By that definition NBC committed espionage by releasing the pussy tape a few weeks before the election to the Washington Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

peddlelies wrote: »
    By that definition NBC committed espionage by releasing the pussy tape a few weeks before the election to the Washington Post.

And every other leak which has been reported on my the media with the intention of damaging Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

That's fine, but he was offered the information and refused to release it. If you are going to keep labeling him a journalist you may want to prefix that with the word "unethical" before it
    More than 2 million people have died since 2003 in Iraq since that US invasion. Bloody disgusting to compare it to something like ''Russian corruption''.

I marched against the war in Iraq. There's no need to preach thanks. I've seen enough people act selectively hysterical over points of history that capture their interest. This debate is about Assange, and in this context his actions "as a journalist". As in, I don't agree that he was a journalist

And every other leak which has been reported on my the media with the intention of damaging Trump.

All for greater good, until it goes the other way.

I'm not good with words. I consider these people to be weak scumbags, calling for the exact same thing they apparently abhor.

• Advertisement

That's fine, but he was offered the information and refused to release it. If you are going to keep labeling him a journalist you may want to prefix that with the word "unethical" before it

I marched against the war in Iraq. There's no need to preach thanks. I've seen enough people act selectively hysterical over points of history that capture their interest. This debate is about Assange, and in this context his actions "as a journalist". As in, I don't agree that he was a journalist

Refer back to my post which cited his awards for, uh, journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Russia good.

Lots of people died in Syria, Libya, Vietnam, Iraq and the dozens of other wars the US has engaged in.

:confused:

Your deflections are just...well, nonsensical. Sorry, I cannot reply.

Deflections

Seems the steam of urine ran dry on you.

So let's talk about the Kremlin shill and his hacks against America but ignores all the Kremlin ,China , Pakistan ,Iran ,do

What no journalistic integrity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Another win for the corrupt American government

Deflections

y

Just gonna quote that for reference .

Awards
    WikiLeaks, its publisher and its journalists have won many awards, including:

The Economist New Media Award (2008)
    The Amnesty New Media Award (2009)
    TIME Magazine Person of the Year, People’s Choice (highest global vote) (2010)
    The Sam Adams Award for Integrity (2010)
    The National Union of Journalists Journalist of the Year (Hrafnsson) (2011)
    The Sydney Peace Foundation Gold Medal (2011)
    The Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism (2011)
    The Blanquerna Award for Best Communicator (2011)
    The Walkley Award for Most Outstanding Contribution to Journalism (2011)
    The Voltaire Award for Free Speech (2011)
    The International Piero Passetti Journalism Prize of the National Union of Italian Journalists (2011)
    The Jose Couso Press Freedom Award (2011)
    The Privacy International Hero of Privacy (2012)
    The Global Exchange Human Rights People’s Choice Award (2013)
    The Yoko Ono Lennon Courage Award for the Arts (2013)
    The Brazillian Press Association Human Rights Award (2013)
    The Kazakstan Union of Journalists Top Prize (2014)
    The Willy Brandt Award for Political Courage (Harrison) (2015)
    WikiLeaks has also been nominated for the UN Mandela Prize (2015) and, in six consecutive years, for the Nobel Peace Prize (2010-2015).

The hacking charge seems to be based on Assange helping Manning with some password cracking, not with receiving information. Might be interesting to see how they can prove that.

However Federal courts are notoriously reluctant to acquit.

So let's talk about the Kremlin shill and his hacks against America but ignores all the Kremlin ,China , Pakistan ,Iran ,do

If you want to talk about something you should get your facts straight first. Provide the proof Wikileaks was behind the hacks, or provide proof they were handed the documents directly from Russia. The intelligence agencies have stated multiple times that a third party was used to submit the information to Wikileaks, do you have evidence to contradict that?

Lots of people died in Syria, Libya, Vietnam, Iraq and the dozens of other wars the US has engaged in.

You forget about the Korean war remind us about that,
    What about the chemical weapons attacks in Syria or the genocide carried out by Assad with support from Russia ,

I love these threads America did this and America did that but wait what about Ukraine , Georgia , Afghanistan , Czechoslovakia ,hungry ,tiananmen square ,the south China sea ,

I can keep going

If you want to talk about something you should get your facts straight first. Provide the proof Wikileaks was behind the hacks, or provide proof they were handed the documents directly from Russia. The intelligence agencies have stated multiple times that a third party was used to submit the information to Wikileaks, do you have evidence to contradict that?

Where I'd I say this

• Advertisement

Deflections

Journalists can be biased. That’s ok.

Western journalists should hold western power to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You forget about the Korean war remind us about that,
    What about the chemical weapons attacks in Syria or the genocide carried out by Assad with support from Russia ,

I love these threads America did this and America did that but wait what about Ukraine , Georgia , Afghanistan , Czechoslovakia ,hungry ,tiananmen square ,the south China sea ,

I can keep going

One reason might be that he reckons that the safest place from America is Russia. He won't get a chance to bolt for there now though.

Journalists can be biased. That’s ok.

Western journalists should hold western power to account.

Yes the totally agree the same goes for you and me.

But we all know how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Kirby wrote: »
    Lets not beat around the bush here. It's journalism when it hurts my enemies. It's espionage when it hurts me.

Depends on the motive really. There's a pretty clear difference between exposing illegal/corrupt activity through whistle-blowing and just abusing the process to dump as much information as possible about your enemies in the hopes that some dirt or embarrassment comes out

In his later years, Assange was much more the latter and less the former

Where I'd I say this

"So let's talk about the Kremlin shill and his hacks against America".

Reading statements like this one might get the wrong idea.

"So let's talk about the Kremlin shill

He was a regular on rt which is the official Kremlin propaganda channel .

One who attacks America while supporting and promoting russian propaganda .

Sooooo

explain how someone might get the wrong idea

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dohnjoe wrote:
    In his later years, Assange was much more the latter and less the former
    In his later years? The man is still alive and not that old.
    He has been stuck in an embassy for years. It's got to have been much harder for him.
    If he struck a deal with Trump who could blame him? If he has been assured that he won't taken to the States and buried in a deep hole then it's easy to understand why he would make a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Sooooo

The Russians are brilliant at propaganda.... All they have to do is show you the stories that Western MSM dont

Sooooo

Plenty of well known people are regulars on RT, Larry King hosts a show on it and even Adam Schiff was doing interviews on it 3 years ago. RT is obviously used to push Russian interests and to try gain influence over the Western TV audience, I don't think it boils down to much more than Assange having a god complex and wanting TV time and Russia seeing him as a pain in the arse for the US so they happily promoted him.

I'd need to see evidence that Assange was communicating with Russian officials or something of that nature before claiming he's working directly for Russia.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    In his later years? The man is still alive and not that old.

Wonder the if the big white beard is an attempt to make him look more mature in his years than he actually is

Advertisement