Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tmax 530, Burgman etc opinions?

Options
  • 11-04-2019 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any experience of the big scooters like the Tmax or Burgman?.

Comfort, fuel economy, performance and boredom?.

I'm doing less and less mileage on my big R1200GS, and the older I get I'm certainly not riding the nuts off it, ie I rarely go over 110kph on the motorways.

I love the big, I honestly do and always thought when its time to move on I'd go for a new GS but taking all things into account its hard for me to justify the cost so I'll likely downsize to either a maxi scooter or a new Vstrom DL650.

Opinions, experience of maxi scooters?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

Honda Integra 750 ? Fairly new so not too many second hand around. 750 twin with DCT , basically a Nc750 in scooter guise. Had a silverwing 600 many moons ago and loved the convienience of it , didnt like being stuck behind a car doing 50 or 60 on the n3 and needing a good gap to overtake, couldnt drop down a gear and there was a bit of lag between twisting the throttle and the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I'm doing less and less mileage on my big R1200GS, and the older I get I'm certainly not riding the nuts off it, ie I rarely go over 110kph on the motorways.

I love the big, I honestly do and always thought when its time to move on I'd go for a new GS but taking all things into account its hard for me to justify the cost so I'll likely downsize to either a maxi scooter or a new Vstrom DL650.

Don't really like scooters myself but I'd ride one if it was the Only option.
    Really liking this https://megabikes.ie/motorcycles-for-sale-ireland/new-motorcycles/honda/adventure/nc750x-40023
    I like big bikes/engines as well but I realise I'm getting older and been thinking a few years ahead and also like the honda cb500x https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cb500x/2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dubdamo wrote: »
    Honda Integra 750 ? Fairly new so not too many second hand around. 750 twin with DCT , basically a Nc750 in scooter guise. Had a silverwing 600 many moons ago and loved the convienience of it , didnt like being stuck behind a car doing 50 or 60 on the n3 and needing a good gap to overtake, couldnt drop down a gear and there was a bit of lag between twisting the throttle and the response.

Good God no, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

But can you wheelie a burgman?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

zubair wrote: »
    But can you wheelie a burgman?

Yep

https://youtu.be/knWol6i1zvU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

dubdamo wrote: »
    Honda Integra 750 ? Fairly new so not too many second hand around. 750 twin with DCT, basically a Nc750 in scooter guise. Had a silverwing 600 many moons ago and loved the convienience of it , didnt like being stuck behind a car doing 50 or 60 on the n3 and needing a good gap to overtake, couldnt drop down a gear and there was a bit of lag between twisting the throttle and the response.

The Integra 750 has always struck me as a bit of an oddity; it seems Honda created it just because they could rather than out of any market need. One of the main benefits of a scooter is the drive system is sealed off from the elements, so there's no real maintenance except for replacing an air filter and changing the belt every 10000 + kilometres. I'd instead just get the NC 750.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Left field but what about the Aprilia SRV 850? I know its Italian but that will get you more involved with your electrical and mechanical side.
    I doubt its a match for the Yamaha or Suzuki in terms of real world practicality but as far as fun goes a 850 V twin would sound pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I do, and short of directing you to a long-winded internet post on the subject of When Things Go Wrong - admittedly not a Jap one - so can offer some.........assistance shall I say.

Coincidentally, I spent last weekend touring Connemara with the S.O., on a borrowed 250 Scooter and I can tell you this: it runs just as well and capably as........my Africa Twin ! :eek::eek:

Even more outrageous it has way, more luggage space (without ardorning either with bags, and has actually slightly better weather protection.

My personal experience is of an Aprilia Atlantic 500, which, if you ignore the fact it's stopped more often than it runs, does illustrate a few things: immeasurably more useful for commuting than a motorcycle. Automatic/CVT removes all the hardship and allows stress-free dawdling. All while having huge punch - the little 250 we had last weekend outran a Toureg and 320d with ease.

Economy-wise mine was doing high 40's - CVT boxes are not that efficient. With 15" wheels, they're only 1" smaller than old sportsbikes used to wear, so handle well.

When mine dies - and it will, believe me - I will replace it, probably with a Jap one. I've driven the Burgman 650 and it's sublimely smooth - albeit a tad large. Honda SilverWing is another contender, but T-Max 530 would be my favourite tbh.

The one thing I'd offer is this: if you do a lot of town driving, if buying a single, the likes of a 300-400 are better than the 500's imho, as they are smooth and geared well. Even the 250 I rode last week cruised on the M6 with no effort at 120kph.

Given the ultimate choice, and I know you dissed it already, the Integra has larger wheels and rides more bike-like. For me, and having an Africa Twin DCT myself, the DCT box alone would make me buy it. If you fancy a nod in the AT/GS direction, the ADV750 would be even more your bag. And it's a 750.

And don't forget there's the NC750 DCT, but I gather it's a bit anaemic power-wise. Think Deauville: but without all the power :pac::pac:

For pure town use, the 300 version of last week's borrowed steed would be fairly sharp.

Either way, big scoots are a hoot: and very underestimated.

TMax 503 is not cheap mind, new, more expensive than many motorcycles at €13,500..............there again, you need to not look at it as a cheapie form of transport - it's a high performing form of transport, albeit in a scooter format..........so not cheap to build, either.

https://megabikes.ie/motorcycles-for-sale-ireland/new-scooters/yamaha/t-max-530

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paging Stewy Burgervanman... Paging Stewy Burgervanman...

About a dozen years ago (pre-kids :rolleyes:) myself and the OH hired a no-name Chinese 400 maxi-scoot for a week in Crete. It's not a very big island top to bottom, but big enough side to side :)

We were out on that yoke most of the day every day, did hundreds of km, it was easy to ride natch, and easy on fuel. Hills, 100km/h roads, etc. no bother this thing just went and went. Only thing to watch out for was the lack of engine braking, but the actual brakes were more than adequate. Oh, and don't squeeze that lever on the left thinking it's the clutch.

I always got a little bit of satisfaction back in the day hiring a bike on holidays when they saw I wasn't just some dreamer on a B licence, it was a full A licence :D:D

Now if you want a tale of hardship (and let's face it, we all like to recant our war stories) :)

A couple of years later, hiring a half-knackered Yamaha 100 scoot in Lanzarote and taking it two-up into the long long inclines into the mountains against the prevailing winds was less than fun...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I travel from Leixlip to Dublin city center everyday last year I bought a Tmax found it quick and smooth but also found it quite big and heavy so parked it up and went back to the GS, I didnt like it at all so Donedeal was the answer.
    Still looking for something a little lighter I tried a Vespa PX good god was fun but no no no no for my run, back to the drawing board Burgman a lend but the same good but as big and heavy as my bike then a Vespa 300 gts BINGO I flew in to London and rode back to Holyhead non stop except for flue 140km all the way and for the last 9 months the GS has sat in the shed heading for Dondeal too.
    so its quick smooth goes and like feck when I want or need to has charm and a good following if you like that sort of thing Its light, great for traffic gets my vote any time Oh had a few trips from Dublin to Mayo not a bother.meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

meeeeeee.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Have a Burgman 400 the last 18 months for zipping up n down the M50 and into town.
    Very nippy,and maxes out at 150kph.,on my private road.

Very comfy,good weather protection,easy to turn and park.
    Loads of space under the seat.
    Enough space for chain,helmet and backpack.
    And easy on the juice too.

More craic than riding the R1 or S1000RR sometimes.

I love it.

477765.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Have a 14 reg tmax 530cc for sale 8k miles you can try it if you like. It's probably the sportiest maxi scooter, not too big!

Advertisement