Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabits : your WiFi setup? can you get a 1gbs links?

Options
  • 11-04-2019 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I was wondering what hardwares you having with your gigabit broadband.

I myself have a NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 (RBK53) behind a Synology RT1900 AC,

I run some IPERF and I had some very unexpected result.

Server to my Synology Router > ethernet cat 6 to the Orbi > and ethernet from the Orbi eth to a MacbookPro the result was only between 400 to 680 Mb/s !!!

(980Mb/s while connected straight to the Router ethernet and avoiding the Orbi AP)

Regarding the WiFi speed, I had a report link of 886Mb/s although the though (according to Iperf) was only about 180 to 300Mb/s

Anyway I decide to buy some new hardware, so far I'm thinking :

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERPOE-5 5 Port PoE Router Switch
    and two Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD UniFi MIMO WiFi Access Point with PoE

I was thinking about getting a UBIQUITI Networks Unifi Security Gateway , but it's seems that they Intrusion Detection system have a massive impact on the ethernet speed too

I'm a bit unsure do I go for a EdgeRouter or switch though (some seems to go with US‑8‑150W switch instead)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You dont really mention clients? Theres no point putting aviation fuel in a fiat panda.

Chances are your best clients will max out around 400-600Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

ED E wrote: »
    You dont really mention clients? Theres no point putting aviation fuel in a fiat panda.

Chances are your best clients will max out around 400-600Mb.

Good point

The WiFi Client which that can handle gigabit WiFi :

MacBookPro15,1 + and two older MacBook Pro Retina + A desktop PC

iPhone XS Max which can handle theoretically the gigabit wifi but I only found real -life speed if 960Mb/s
    - iPhone X , and other iOS client
    other Wireless device, AppleTV / FireTV 4K,
    TVs, Amazon Echo, iOT devices (quite a lots),
    Few Netatmo Presence (1080P CCTV > 2.5Ghz limitation)

+ the other device are connected through eth, the one with gonna use a most of network resources is a Synology DS918+ and a Synology 418play

Advertisement