Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Active Suspension, worth it?

Options
  • 11-04-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Thinking about changing the S1000RR this year to something new. (Probably around September)

I like the look of the Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory
    https://www.aprilia.com/uk_EN/bikes/road/RSV4/rsv4-1100-factory/

But I just noticed it doesn't have Semi Active Suspension. (My current bike does)
    In fact there isn't even an optional extra to get the SAS on the bike.

In 2019 would SAS swing it for you?
    the research I've done is that if you're on a predictable road surface (IE a race track) you don't need SAS. However if you're on an old road it can help a lot. (allegedly)

I had an RC8R before the S1000RR and honestly I don't notice a huge difference other than the ABS and Traction Control kicking in the odd time.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's an Aprilia just buy it!
    At some stage I'll be getting 2018/ 2019 RSV4RF or Tuono.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grahambo wrote: »
    honestly I don't notice a huge difference other than the ABS and Traction Control kicking in the odd time.

Opinions?

They would be the times you'd if been off, so you've used them more than you think.

You don't notice the difference when going from bad to good, but when you swap back you'll notice a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    It's an Aprilia just buy it!.

If you like ornaments or are on very good terms with a suitable mechanic :D

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

maybe just get an old fashioned 600 four and learn to ride that, no abs no traction control no adaptive anything, but it'll teach you how to ride by your ear and the seat of your pants.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have it on my 1200 GSA , along with all the TCS , cornering ABS , God knows what else. It all adds up to a very sensible German sterile ride.

After the GSA is paid off I'm buying something that has the bare minimum in terms of electronics.

• Advertisement

Can't say I've ever needed a mechanic for my two.

Despite a few gremlins, Aprilia make cracking bikes.
    Build quality is top drawer in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

^^^ what he said.

Didnt the RSV-R's have a load of crankshaft problems on launch ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ^^^ what he said.

Manufacturing fault on the Conrods on the first batch which there was a recall for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

galwaytt wrote: »
    ^^^ what he said.

All 1000cc sports bikes have problems

Getting 200 odd bhp from an 1 Litre engine...

Although I concede that some are worse than others.
    However if you're buying new who cares? You've a warranty.
    maybe just get an old fashioned 600 four and learn to ride that, no abs no traction control no adaptive anything, but it'll teach you how to ride by your ear and the seat of your pants.

Did all that years ago, RC8R had no rider aides 1190cc V2.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    They would be the times you'd if been off, so you've used them more than you think.

You don't notice the difference when going from bad to good, but when you swap back you'll notice a big difference.

Possibly, but as I said I don't notice a huge difference from the RC8R on a good road.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

44 teeth have a review of the Aprilia out a couple of days ago. The way they describe track handling under braking sounds very appealing.

The new RR sounds different enough from the old to be worth waiting for to compare, and also cheaper.

Wouldn't be fussed about electronic suspension myself but the subtleties of ABS and TC would make a difference on track, I hate aggressive ABS.

Obvs on road you'll be going nowhere near the limits.

• Advertisement

The 2019 Tuono Factory has semi active but I assume full fairings are a must,yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Lumen wrote: »
    44 teeth have a review of the Aprilia out a couple of days ago. The way they describe track handling under braking sounds very appealing.

The new RR sounds different enough from the old to be worth waiting for to compare, and also cheaper.

Wouldn't be fussed about electronic suspension myself but the subtleties of ABS and TC would make a difference on track, I hate aggressive ABS.

Obvs on road you'll be going nowhere near the limits.

Yeah I seen it,
    They said this years battle will be between the new s1000rr and RSV4 1100 Factory.

In Ireland I recon both bikes will come in around €25k new (S1000RR M Sport)
    blade1 wrote: »
    The 2019 Tuono Factory has semi active but I assume full fairings are a must,yeah?

Yup, And the 217bhp, and the Carbon Fibre winglets

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

"Obvs on road you'll be going nowhere near the limits"

I had a cb1000r with abs and I only ever got it to kick in twice on track yet it would kick in with no effort braking in the paddock.

As for the suspension, I've never ridden the active suspension but I wouldn't be losing sleep if I wanted a bike and it didn't have it.

Again I've never ridden any of the newer bikes with all the electrics but do they make much of a difference? I got a k7 gixxer 1000 that has the 3 modes but I find it's much more controlled leaving it in full power and just control the throttle.

FFS I missed out on a RSV4 X!! :pac:
    Max Biaggi bought one.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/aprilia-sells-out-rsv4-x-special-edition/

Advertisement