Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharavogue School - views please

Options
  • 11-04-2019 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

istered User

I would really appreciate views on Sharavogue junior school in Glenageary. We are moving back from abroad and finding it so difficult to get a Junior Infants place. We've no option, given the lack of places at national school and a system that doesn't help ppl moving into an area, but to go private. I'd love to hear from parents who currently have children in the school or know the school more broadly. All info gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭PaulPriest

We were in a similar situation about 5 years ago. It was a toss-up between Sharavogue, and Castle Park, Dalkey. We chose the latter and couldn't have been happier. We actually have to pass Sharavogue to get there...

I can't comment on Sharavogue though, don't know anyone who's attended there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Apart from schools there seems to be an awful lot of obstacles being placed in the path of returning emigrants. Recognition of education qualifications, car insurance and acceptance of no claims bonuses etc often from the Irish branch of the international company, housing etc

OhBlaDee5 wrote: »
    istered User

I would really appreciate views on Sharavogue junior school in Glenageary. We are moving back from abroad and finding it so difficult to get a Junior Infants place. We've no option, given the lack of places at national school and a system that doesn't help ppl moving into an area, but to go private. I'd love to hear from parents who currently have children in the school or know the school more broadly. All info gratefully received.

out of curiosity, what schools have you tried and are you looking specifically for a mixed school, or a boys/girls school?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Edgware wrote: »
    Apart from schools there seems to be an awful lot of obstacles being placed in the path of returning emigrants. Recognition of education qualifications, car insurance and acceptance of no claims bonuses etc often from the Irish branch of the international company, housing etc

What education qualifications are not recognised?
    The Washington accord or Bologna accord works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

istered User

Have experience with the creche in there & attended an open evening for the junior school. It's a lovely building, very good management and I've found the staff all lovely and dedicated to the kids.
    The only things that would make me consider other options would be the fact that it's private ($$$). Also would want to weigh up the pros and cons of it being a smaller school, sharing with a creche. Smaller class sizes would be a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rwleonard

Hi sorry to just tag onto your thread but we just moved here from the states and was considering the same school. Were you able to find any feedback on it?
    are there any other non-denomination schools anyone can recommend too?
    Thank you!

rwleonard wrote: »
    Hi sorry to just tag onto your thread but we just moved here from the states and was considering the same school. Were you able to find any feedback on it?
    Thank you!

Dalkey School project is an educate together school. Very difficult to get in to though.

Rathdown is nominally a Church of Ireland school, but only in that their pastoral care is provided by the church. They are owned by a trust and not the church. I personally know Protestant, Catholic, Jewish and Muslim kids that go there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

istered User

My kids went through the Montisori and we liked it, I know a good few who have put their kids into the jnr school and been happy. Some go there for a year or 2 and wait for a spot in one of the other local schools to become available.

Ive no experience of castle park other than friends who said they had no complaints but wouldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mmmmei

rwleonard wrote: »
    Thank you!

Hi what is your story now ?
    Did you find a good school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mmmmei

istered User

Any update ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement