Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jaysus what planet are you on?

You disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Faugheen wrote: »
    You don't like foreigners and you're voting Casey for 'telling the truth' about foreigners.

Therefore I believe you are a racist.

That's not racism.

It's xenophobia.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Anti abortion do you mean?

Nope, anti-choice.

If you're anti-abortion then you'd rather raped women have their baby or get on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sure killer tubridy threatened to beat him up after an attempted ambush on the late late show

Not convinced that Tubs could punch his way out of a paper bag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Yes well rte accounts for at least half of higgans vote count.
    They acted as election agents for him across radio and television. In both election campaigns.
    Casey's vote came from the people in spite of Rte attempts to scandalise him mis quote him to make him drop out the race.
    Sure killer tubridy threatened to beat him up after an attempted ambush on the late late show

Regardless of RTE's usual shenanigans, Higgan's was the least worst candidate in a very poor line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You don't like foreigners and you're voting Casey for 'telling the truth' about foreigners.

There is also, demeaning candidates because they are 'gay'(whatever that has to do with their suitability) 'entered a competition' and likening the president to a 'monkey'.

That's not racism.

It's xenophobia.

It's all one side of the same arse as far as I'm concerned.

Nope, anti-choice.

If you're anti-abortion then you'd rather raped women have their baby or get on the plane.

Ok best of luck with that.
    Strawman

This is typical 'if you're not for us, then you're agin us' rhetoric.

It's quite possible to empathise with some of the issues that Casey raises, without being racist at all. It's not black & white and it does a disservice to normal politics to make out that it is.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not convinced that Tubs could punch his way out of a paper bag!

Casey would take him grew up in free Derry during the troubles.
    Tubridy grew up in a bubble

• Advertisement

It's all one side of the same arse as far as I'm concerned.

Two completely different things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Faugheen wrote:

Kindly put out where I said the above, otherwise you are a liar.

Faugheen wrote:

Reported

BarryD2 wrote: »
    This is typical 'if you're not for us, then you're agin us' rhetoric.

It's quite possible to empathise with some of the issues that Casey raises, without being racist at all. It's not black & white and it does a disservice to normal politics to make out that it is.

Then why are people voting for someone based on a rant about foreigners but with no actual policy to tackle the 'issues' raised in that rant?

They're voting for him based on an 'old man yells at cloud' type rant. It's very black and white as far as I'm concerned.

Some posters say 'we'll see what he does to tackle rural issues' when he can't do anything about it as an MEP ffs. They've no idea what the f*ck they're talking about.

I'd rather someone just said 'I don't like foreigners' instead of pretending to be something they're not.

Reported

Why? If you can't stand the heat in the kichen etc etc..

Two completely different things

Both scummy.

There is also, demeaning candidates because they are 'gay'(whatever that has to do with their suitability) 'entered a competition' and likening the president to a 'monkey'.

I see you are engaging with your usual tactics of misrepresentation. I said a monkey could do the job. I didn't liken the incumbent to a monkey. Don't be telling lies Francie when so easily disproved.

BarryD2 wrote:
    Why? If you can't stand the heat in the kichen etc etc..

I'm not having someone write lies about me and accuse me of racism without reacting.

Then why are people voting for someone based on a rant about foreigners but with no actual policy to tackle the 'issues' raised in that rant?

Because it resonates with them! Voters are aware that some people are stuck in the asylum system for years. Some of this is the fault of the system but there is no doubt at all, that there are some asylum seekers playing the system, prolonging it with appeals and then complaining about being stuck in it.

Both scummy.

Well if you are talking about genuine racism I'd agree with you.
    But discussion boarders and immigration doesn't make anybody a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

I'm not having someone write lies about me and accuse me of racism without reacting.

I suppose it's a case of not being able to refute the points so they resort to name calling instead, and making it about the poster instead of the points raised. A sure sign of a weak or no argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see you are engaging with your usual tactics of misrepresentation. I said a monkey could do the job. I didn't liken the incumbent to a monkey. Don't be telling lies Francie when so easily disproved.

Yeh, and you are not really trying to demean women either by plucking one thing about their life out to highlight or to highlight their sexuality.

We can all read between the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pot calling the kettle black.

You have had some choice views yourself that leave you open to the same charge.

Getting 22 per cent is getting your ass handed to you?

It wasn't getting 22 percent that was sensational about Casey's performance but that he went from being the laggard at 1pc to 22pc on the back of one quote. While one unnamed minister dismissed his performance as him being the candidate all the eternally malcontent got behind, I personally think that was a complete misreading of his vote. Some traveler families are causing issues in rural communities and no one up until him had the guts to nationally air private views of a substantial cohort of voters and indeed many local politicians. He pointed out the hypocrisy of those that were calling him a racist but them supporting a system that sees halting sites placed in rural towns and never in the likes of Donnybrook, well away from the talking heads.

I think he may have won the first preference vote in places like Longford for that very reason.

Alright Plumbthedepths.
    Gay woman, ex winner of the lovely girl competition. Ticks a few boxes for some.

Your post about Maria Walsh.

My opinion on Peter Casey.

‘Racist/xenophobic with no actual policies. Ticks a few boxes for some.’

How is that post any different to what you said about Maria Walsh and the voters she might represent?

Danzy wrote: »
    Pot calling the kettle black.

You have had some choice views yourself that leave you open to the same charge.

Such as?

Well if you are talking about genuine racism I'd agree with you.
    But discussion boarders and immigration doesn't make anybody a racist.

When people who are in Direct Provision in order to get out of whatever they’re facing in their own country are being called ‘freeloaders’ then I wouldn’t call that a ‘discussion’, it’s a rant.

When people who are in Direct Provision in order to get out of whatever they’re facing in their own country are being called ‘freeloaders’ then I wouldn’t call that a ‘discussion’, it’s a rant.
    Who called them freeloaders?

Who called them freeloaders?

Peter Casey.

Are you paying any attention to the thread?

• Advertisement

Peter Casey.

Are you paying any attention to the thread?

I just watched him on the week in politics calling DP centres prisons.
    He said Genuine refugees should be treated with respect and the applications dealt with in a timely manner.
    He also said we should concentrate on taking our refugees from war torn countries, what is racist about that .
    He never called them freeloaders

Sorry, "whatever" doesn't cut it as a valid reason.

People should only be in direct provision if they are escaping war/persecution. The system is not meant to house those fleeing for economic reasons.

The reason many might legitimately raise an eyebrow at anyone claiming asylum here is the fact that Ireland is located a great distance from active war zones with no direct transport links. One would have to transit (many) safe countries to reach the island. The bogus nature of the vast majority of applicants is borne out by the statistics, something like 1 in 10 are considered genuine.

Everyone has their case heard within 18 months. Anyone in the system longer has been rejected and is appealing.

Sorry, "whatever" doesn't cut it as a valid reason.

People should only be in direct provision if they are escaping war/persecution. The system is not meant to house those fleeing for economic reasons.

The reason many might legitimately raise an eyebrow at anyone claiming asylum here is the fact that Ireland is located a great distance from active war zones with no direct transport links. One would have to transit (many) safe countries to reach the island. The bogus nature of the vast majority of applicants is borne out by the statistics, something like 1 in 10 are considered genuine.

Everyone has their case heard within 18 months. Anyone in the system longer has been rejected and is appealing.

Ireland is a soft touch, Irish citizens the heavy price

I just watched him on the week in politics calling DP centres prisons.
    He said Genuine refugees should be treated with respect and the applications dealt with in a timely manner.
    He also said we should concentrate on taking our refugees from war torn countries, what is racist about that .
    He never called them freeloaders

I’m not talking about what he said on TWIP.

I asked you were you paying any attention to the thread and quite clearly you’re not.

He may not have called them freeloaders on TWIP but he has called them freeloaders.

I’m not talking about what he said on TWIP.

I asked you were you paying any attention to the thread and quite clearly you’re not.

He may not have called them freeloaders on TWIP but he has called them freeloaders.

I'm just not paying attention to your nonsense

I'm just not paying attention to your nonsense

Good one. Can tell you stayed up all night to come up with that zinger.

He called them freeloaders. It’s a fact. It’s in this thread. Go and find it.

• Advertisement

Ireland is a soft touch, Irish citizens the heavy price

I wouldn't agree with that. The direct provision system was designed to be as unpalatable for bogus refugees as possible whilst still meeting Ireland's international obligations. To that end, the system had been quite successful, the number of people seeking refuge in Ireland plummeted in the wake of the DP system implementation as word got out that Ireland was no longer a soft touch.

The media coverage of the DP system is completely skewed away from the reality of how it works, and how it generates the outcomes that it does. When there is a story of how someone is in the system for say eight years, there rarely if ever is a mention that they are on their Nth appeal, but plenty of mention that Ireland treats these foreigners like defacto criminals.

Good one. Can tell you stayed up all night to come up with that zinger.

He called them freeloaders. It’s a fact. It’s in this thread. Go and find it.

The man spoke on television in the last hour and spoke on direct provision I'll think I'll take him on his word if that's ok with you.

Yeh, and you are not really trying to demean women either by plucking one thing about their life out to highlight or to highlight their sexuality.

She's openly gay and won the ROT, both facts. Now are you going to apologise for telling lies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The man spoke on television in the last hour and spoke on direct provision I'll think I'll take him on his word if that's ok with you.

The post that started this whole conversation off linked to an IT article where Casey used the term.

Faugheen wrote:
    How is that post any different to what you said about Maria Walsh and the voters she might represent?

Are you going to address the lies you posted about me? A simple yes or no.

• Advertisement

The post that started this whole conversation off linked to an IT article where Casey used the term.

Yes but he had changed his mind or articulated himself better in the last hour.
    So I'll take what he said today as genuine.
    From what he said today was he is favour of helping genuine refugees.

Are you going to address the lies you posted about me? A simple yes or no.

What lies are those, exactly?

I’ve given you my reasons for believing that you are a racist. All I’ve seen you say is that I’m lying.

Explain how I’m lying and we’ll talk about it. Until then my belief remains based on your posts and your continued defence of Casey and his views.

Yes but he had changed his mind or articulated himself better in the last hour.
    So I'll take what he said today as genuine.
    From what he said today was he is favour of helping genuine refugees.

He didn’t change his mind.

He didn’t address the ‘freeloaders’ comment at all.

Either way, what’s he going’s to do about it? F*ck all.

Faugheen wrote:

Faugheen wrote:

You claimed I said the above, kindly link where I posted the above.

Why are you voting for Casey if none of the above are true or are in anyway representative of your values?

He didn’t change his mind.

He didn’t address the ‘freeloaders’ comment at all.

Either way, what’s he going’s to do about it? F*ck all.

He was referring to bogus applications who use the appeal system to drag out the process by years.
    These people take the opportunities from genuine refugees we could be helping.
    Bogus applications for refugee status are freeloaders what would you call them?

Faugheen wrote:
    Explain how I’m lying and we’ll talk about it. Until then my belief remains based on your posts and your continued defence of Casey and his views.

You have attributed comments to me I never uttered and further to this you have called me a racist based on lies you have attributed to me. A disgusting pathetic means of discussion.

Your no racist plumb, you were just winning the argument

Your no racist plumb, you were just winning the argument

Fortunately there is only a couple of posters here who engage in these tactics.

You have attributed comments to me I never uttered and further to this you have called me a racist based on lies you have attributed to me. A disgusting pathetic means of discussion.

Are you going to cry to mods about it?

Give me a reason to believe otherwise and I’ll apologise. So far all you’ve done is call me a liar but you haven’t actually disputed what I’ve said.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement