Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Faugheen wrote:
    Give me a reason to believe otherwise and I’ll apologise. So far all you’ve done is call me a liar but you haven’t actually disputed what I’ve said.

I have disputed the comments you attributed to me. All you have done now is reinforced in my mind and that of others that you are openly willing to lie. As I said pathetic behaviour.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I have disputed the comments you attributed to me. All you have done now is reinforced in my mind and that of others that you are openly willing to lie. As I said pathetic behaviour.

You haven’t disputed them.

Tell me why you’re voting Casey but you’re not a racist?

Did you expect the conversation to go like:

“You’re a liar”
    “Oh, ok, sorry.”

Faugheen wrote:

I didn't say them, you claimed I did but have so far being unable to back up your claim. Now I'm putting you on ignore, I don't engage with liars.

I didn't say them, you claimed I did but have so far being unable to back up your claim. Now I'm putting you on ignore, I don't engage with liars.

So a refusal to tell me why I’m lying.

You don’t have to say the comments to know what’s going on here. Like I said before, if you would explain why I was wrong in my beliefs and thoughts then I would withdraw them and apologise.

However, since you won’t, then I can live with the fact that I’m correct in my assertions.

I asked you to dispute my beliefs based on your mannerisms shown so far, and you haven’t. Tells me everything I need to know and that people like that are cowards to don’t like being told the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She's openly gay and won the ROT, both facts. Now are you going to apologise for telling lies?
    Look, you might think you are getting away with the disparaging remarks but it is clear what you are trying to do. That she is gay and won a contest does not define her.

Casey did the same thing, came out with a generalised rant and let the rabble do the rest.

Look, you might think you are getting away with the disparaging remarks but it is clear what you are trying to do. That she is gay and won a contest does not define her.

Casey did the same thing, came out with a generalised rant and let the rabble do the rest.

No no, Francie, both are completely different.

Can’t believe we’re on the same side of a debate, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Faugheen wrote: »

Tell me why you’re voting Casey but you’re not a racist?

Did you expect the conversation to go like:

“You’re a liar”
    “Oh, ok, sorry.”
    In fairness if you're laying an accusation it's up to you to demonstrate proof.
    If you can't prove it then yes, you should apologise.

Francie any chance you'd address your lie where you claimed I likened the president to a monkey?

In fairness if you're laying an accusation it's up to you to demonstrate proof.
    If you can't prove it then yes, you should apologise.

Plumb said without foundation that people will vote for Maria Walsh because she’s gay and won the ROT. They have no proof of that?

I’m saying that people will vote for Casey because he speaks their racist views.

I’ve asked that poster numerous times to just simply say: ‘I’m not voting for Casey because of his racist views’ and they didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Faugheen wrote:
    No, people who vote for someone who rants about foreigners and travellers with no actual plans to tackle those 'issues' are the fools.
    What are those people voting for?
    People are very quick to ask me what I vote for when nobody likes to give me any answers themselves.
    They are protest voting against the powers that be is one reason. They are fed up voting for people who never tell the truth is another.
    Casey says it as the ordinary man in rural Ireland sees it, the rest are just lying as per usual.

Plumb said without foundation that people will vote for Maria Walsh because she’s gay and won the ROT. They have no proof of that?
    I think it's fair to say that some people will vote for her based on that. The reason she was selected over any other candidate was because she won the RoT and therefore has a profile. Backing a gay candidate world also fit in with those that see themselves as socially progressive.

Others will vote for they because she was nice and polite when they meet her canvassing.

Others will vote for her based on her policy platform too.
    The electorate is so diverse that you'll find every reason under the sun for selecting a candidate.
    I’m saying that people will vote for Casey because he speaks their racist views.

I’ve asked that poster numerous times to just simply say: ‘I’m not voting for Casey because of his racist views’ and they didn’t.
    Indeed they might. Or they might be legitimately concerned about the areas he's highlighted as worthy of attention from policy makers. No more than Walsh, there will be an entire spectrum of voters, from centre to those on the right, that will back Casey.
    Being of the right doesn't make you a racist, no more than being of the left, a communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are protest voting against the powers that be is one reason. They are fed up voting for people who never tell the truth is another.
    Casey says it as the ordinary man in rural Ireland sees it, the rest are just lying as per usual.

I live in rural Ireland. West Wicklow 2 miles from the nearest town. Born and raised. We haven't had trouble with travellers for about 20 years and I'd say there wouldn't be more than 100 foreigners within a 5 mile radius of here, none of which wouldn't be white with the exception of a Japanese guy who's been living here for about 30 years.

What is Casey actually going to do for me?

Speak the truth about the cratered roads?
    The effluent a local farmer has been letting leak into a local stream for the past 20 years?
    The drug den next door that's run by neither travellers nor foreigners?
    Crap broadband?

And even if he "spoke the truth" about any of those things what could he possibly do about it as an MEP?

I'd like an answer too, seeing as you seem to be speaking for all of us rural people now.

I think it's fair to say that some people will vote for her based on that.

And I think it's fair to judge Casey voters as racists but yet I have to apologise for that.

I live in rural Ireland. West Wicklow 2 miles from the nearest town. Born and raised. We haven't had trouble with travellers for about 20 years and I'd say there wouldn't be more than 100 foreigners within a 5 mile radius of here, none of which wouldn't be white with the exception of a Japanese guy who's been living here for about 30 years.

Speak the truth about the cratered roads?
    The effluent a local farmer has been letting leak into a local stream for the past 20 years?
    The drug den next door that's run by neither travellers nor foreigners?
    Crap broadband?

And even if he "spoke the truth" about any of those things what could he possibly do about it as an MEP?

I'd like an answer too, seeing as you seem to be speaking for all of us rural people now.
    Nothing since he's not running in your constituency

And what will he be able to do as an MEP for his constituency? Speak the truth I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Off topic but re the above, do something for yourself. http://www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/seeit/

And I think it's fair to judge Casey voters as racists but yet I have to apologise for that.

No. That's groundless. I'd say that it would be fair to say that some Casey voters are racists and that if you were inclined to be persuaded by issues of race (on the right) you'd be more likely to vote for Casey.

It is incorrect to label all Casey voters as racists.

Would you label all Brid Smith voters as communists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He was referring to bogus applications who use the appeal system to drag out the process by years.
    These people take the opportunities from genuine refugees we could be helping.
    Bogus applications for refugee status are freeloaders what would you call them?
    And all of this relates to candidacy for the EU Parliament how?

The question still stands regardless of the constituency he runs in. He has as much knowledge of the EU Parliament as he did of the Presidency.

No. That's groundless. I'd say that it would be fair to say that some Casey voters are racists and that if you were inclined to be persuaded by issues of race (on the right) you'd be more likely to vote for Casey.

It is incorrect to label all Casey voters as racists

He was on one percent before 'speaking the truth' about travellers.

It was then correctly predicted that he would target immigrants this time around to keep his stock high and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

People aren't voting for Casey for his policies, because he has none. So why else are they voting for him?

Anyone who votes for Casey is voting for him to spout his hateful ****e, so therefore I can make that assumption if I very well please.

• Advertisement

I think it's fair to say that some people will vote for her based on that. The reason she was selected over any other candidate was because she won the RoT and therefore has a profile. Backing a gay candidate world also fit in with those that see themselves as socially progressive.

Others will vote for they because she was nice and polite when they meet her canvassing.

Others will vote for her based on her policy platform too.
    The electorate is so diverse that you'll find every reason under the sun for selecting a candidate.

Indeed they might. Or they might be legitimately concerned about the areas he's highlighted as worthy of attention from policy makers. No more than Walsh, there will be an entire spectrum of voters, from centre to those on the right, that will back Casey.
    Being of the right doesn't make you a racist, no more than being of the left, a communist.
    More likely she's been selected to build her a profile for the GE, out Mayo way. There is no 2nd seat here for FG, nor any other party.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Off topic but re the above, do something for yourself. http://www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/seeit/

According to some, speaking the truth about something is enough!

is_that_so wrote: »
    The question still stands regardless of the constituency he runs in. He has as much knowledge of the EU Parliament as he did of the Presidency.

In case you've been asleep for the past three to four years, migration is a huge European issue. One would expect EUParl to debate it in the new session.

Ethnic discrimination is also an area that's covered by EU directives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

When the winner got 56 percent and and nearly 2-and-a-half times Casey's vote, I'd call that a walloping.

The winner had the entire political and media class behind him, casey was demonised by all from both for a week, his result was phenomenal

In case you've been asleep for the past three to four years, migration is a huge European issue. One would expect EUParl to debate it in the new session.

Casey was talking about 'freeloaders' taking up space in Direct Provision, which isn't a European issue, it's a domestic one.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The winner had the entire political and media class behind him, casey was demonised by all from both for a week, his result was phenomenal

...but he got walloped.

You can make up any excuse you want, but Michael D was under immense pressure to reveal his expenses and was challenged about it practically every time he was on air.

Don't give me the bull**** about how he had the media behind him. The media scrutinised him more than they did McAleese or Robinson.

Casey lost by a country mile. 77% of the country voted against him.

Then why are people voting for someone based on a rant about foreigners but with no actual policy to tackle the 'issues' raised in that rant?

They're voting for him based on an 'old man yells at cloud' type rant. It's very black and white as far as I'm concerned.

Some posters say 'we'll see what he does to tackle rural issues' when he can't do anything about it as an MEP ffs. They've no idea what the f*ck they're talking about.

I'd rather someone just said 'I don't like foreigners' instead of pretending to be something they're not.

Casey has fleshed out his comments re_ refugee applicants

1. Treat genuine refugees well
    2.end this nonsense of endless appeals for fake applicant s

Casey was talking about 'freeloaders' taking up space in Direct Provision, which isn't a European issue, it's a domestic one.

If Ireland has to take refugees as part of European policy assigned as part of a redistribution then asking questions about the bonafides of asylum seekers is pertinent.

If indeed the majority of asylum seekers are actually in reality economic migrants then that reality must play into the debate.

Non-EU migration is a national competency. That's why when some Eastern European countries decided not to take any migrants from Greece and Italy there was nothing that the rest of the EU could do to make them. So Casey can debate away, but the EU has no power to enforce anything on that front. It will be decided by national governments.

EU parliament can debate all it likes. It has no control over national laws, only EU legislation. Migration issues are dealt with at council of minister or summit level.

• Advertisement

Casey has fleshed out his comments re_ refugee applicants

1. Treat genuine refugees well
    2.end this nonsense of endless appeals for fake applicant s

Not EU issues. Once again he's campaigning for the wrong job!

Speak the truth about the cratered roads? The effluent a local farmer has been letting leak into a local stream for the past 20 years? The drug den next door that's run by neither travellers nor foreigners? Crap broadband?
    He is not running in your area. Towns like Letterkenny, Sligo, Castlebar, Longford, Galway, Roscommon, Gort and Ballinasloe all have lots of troublesome travellers, all have lots of foreigners in their area too. These are rural towns for the most part.
    You seem to think that the average voter will look at European issues before they vote. If yet did that then Ming would not have been elected last time, he had the biggest vote in the country. Crowley would not have been elected down south due to his poor attendance record.
    My answer is that people are fed up of the establishment. They are fed up being told how to think and having things forced on them that they don't want with the warning that they dare not speak out against it.

The entire political class didn't even run a candidate, he was a popular incumbent and likely to win. SF aside, they saved their money for these two elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie any chance you'd address your lie where you claimed I likened the president to a monkey?

You likened the job of President, ( ie the President)as being capable of being carried out by a monkey.
    Disparaging? Yep.

He was on one percent before 'speaking the truth' about travellers.

It was then correctly predicted that he would target immigrants this time around to keep his stock high and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

People aren't voting for Casey for his policies, because he has none. So why else are they voting for him?

Anyone who votes for Casey is voting for him to spout his hateful ****e, so therefore I can make that assumption if I very well please.
    When quoting me you conveniently left out my question to you. If all Casey voters are racists, wouldn't that logic make all Brid Smith voters communists?

He is not running in your area. Towns like Letterkenny, Sligo, Castlebar, Longford, Galway, Roscommon, Gort and Ballinasloe all have lots of troublesome travellers, all have lots of foreigners in their area too. These are rural towns for the most part.

You seem to think that the average voter will look at European issues before they vote. If yet did that then Ming would not have been elected last time, he had the biggest vote in the country. Crowley would not have been elected down south due to his poor attendance record.

My answer is that people are fed up of the establishment. They are fed up being told how to think and having things forced on them that they don't want with the warning that they dare not speak out against it.

So basically, people are stupid? They aren't going to look at European issues when voting for an EU position, they're going to vote on domestic issues that the candidate can't and won't do anything about? And people wonder why politicians disappoint them?

As depressing as that reality is, I actually agree with you. That is the way a lot voters vote. And people like Casey know it.

When quoting me you conveniently left out my question to you. If all Casey voters are racists, wouldn't that logic make all Brid Smith voters communists?

So you ignore everything I've said because I cut out the one irrelevant remark that you've made?

I'm talking about Peter Casey and the European election, not some TD who doesn't run in my constituency. Stick to that topic like a good man.

EDIT: What if I didn't believe Brid Smith was a communist? You believe she is, so you can make that assumption all you like.

Peter Casey is, in my opinion, a racist. His voters vote for him for despite his racist rants. Therefore his voters are, by association, racists.

Don't like it? Go cry about it somewhere. I personally don't give a flying sh*te.

So you ignore everything I've said because I cut out the one irrelevant remark that you've made?

I'm talking about Peter Casey and the European election, not some TD who doesn't run in my constituency. Stick to that topic like a good man.

No, it's pertinent because it shows up the flaws in your argument. Brid Smith is an actual communist who believes that workers should wrest the means of production from the "Bosses" (she actually said that in an interview on Newstalk) yet those that vote for her are not all communists? Casey on the other hand who had not set out a racist stall gets all his voters labeled as racists?

You can't have it both ways.

You likened the job of President, ( ie the President)as being capable of being carried out by a monkey. Disparaging? Yep.

You said I likened the president to a monkey, which was a lie on your behalf. So tell me do you think being a liar gives your comments more or less credibility?

• Advertisement

So basically, people are stupid? They aren't going to look at European issues when voting for an EU position, they're going to vote on domestic issues that the candidate can't and won't do anything about? And people wonder why politicians disappoint them?
    As depressing as that reality is, I actually agree with you. That is the way a lot voters vote. And people like Casey know it.
    Now you see where I'm coming from and yes a lot of voters are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We need him to run for The dail. Not Europe. The guy is totally clueless. It goes to show what one guy speaking the truth can do, so many other weaknesses but speaking the truth and he wins a sizeable percentage of the vote !

And all of this relates to candidacy for the EU Parliament how?

The only thing anyone can be absolutely sure of is that all Louise o reilly voters are deaf

...but he got walloped.

You can make up any excuse you want, but Michael D was under immense pressure to reveal his expenses and was challenged about it practically every time he was on air.

Don't give me the bull**** about how he had the media behind him. The media scrutinised him more than they did McAleese or Robinson.

Casey lost by a country mile. 77% of the country voted against him.

Michael D got a nice massage on his size 3 feet by the media from start to finish

Michael D got a nice massage on his size 3 feet by the media from start to finish

Well, what they could say about the other candidates would barely fill a crossword puzzle so it was wall to wall Michael D!

Not EU issues. Once again he's campaigning for the wrong job!

He isn't being roasted by the left for bringing up domestic matters within the remit of an EU campaign, he's being roasted for raising the issue full stop, were he running in a general election in meath East where a large DP centre is located, you would see the same media and left wing response

DP is holy to the left

• Advertisement

He isn't being roasted by the left for bringing up domestic matters within the remit of an EU campaign, he's being roasted for raising the issue full stop, were he running in a general election in meath East where a large DP centre is located, you would see the same media and left wing response

DP is holy to the left
    He deserves a roasting for the flaky policies, none of which have any substance, nor any relationship to what he's running for and vary at a moment's notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I’m saying that people will vote for Casey because he speaks their racist views..

This mantra is not serving you well at all. It is entirely possible for people to vote for Casey because they see a germ of truth in his allegations. Doesn't mean they agree with him entirely. And doesn't imply they are racist at all.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We need him to run for The dail. Not Europe. The guy is totally clueless. It goes to show what one guy speaking the truth can do, so many other weaknesses but speaking the truth and he wins a sizeable percentage of the vote !

I think the support for Casey highlights the lack of truth and sincerity that exists in Irish politics and by extension media. He is a terrible candidate, lacks coherence, has a poor media presence and has no real policy platform. With this in mind he is still doing well and polled extremely well in the Pres Election, it's extraordinary.

I thought the chameleon like FF would move into the Casey space after the election, but seems they haven't, probably out of fear of losing the media. That ground is there for the taking in Midlands north west and there's enough of it for more than a few Dail seats.

A charismatic operator with a more fleshed out programme building on the issues that Casey stumbled into could do really well in this area. I won't be the only one watching to see how well he polls.

is_that_so wrote:
    He deserves a roasting for the flaky policies, none of which have any substance and vary at a moment's notice.
    You see he has opened up a new way to get media coverage and votes. You'll see younger people who'll do what he is doing only much better in the next general election.

You see he has opened up a new way to get media coverage and votes. You'll see younger people who'll do what he is doing only much better in the next general election.
    He hasn't actually done anything. I don't think he'll be elected but if that's what you mean about the next GE it happens all the time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement