Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

BarryD2 wrote: »
    This mantra is not serving you well at all. It is entirely possible for people to vote for Casey because they see a germ of truth in his allegations. Doesn't mean they agree with him entirely. And doesn't imply they are racist at all.

But he has no policy or means in which to address them.

Why are you voting for someone who just says things? If he had an actual policy which could reasonably address these issues then I’d reconsider what I’m saying about people who vote for him. Until then, while they’re happy for him to shout about immigrants and doing nothing about it then I’ll continue to group people in the way that I am.

You really, really are not getting this whatsoever. I’ve said the above dozens of times in this thread and all I get back are people saying ‘but but he’s speaks the truth.’

He has no policies to address ‘the truth’, so why are you bothering? He’s no different to any of the rest of the political class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think the support for Casey highlights the lack of truth and sincerity that exists in Irish politics and by extension media. He is a terrible candidate, lacks coherence, has a poor media presence and has no real policy platform. With this in mind he is still doing well and polled extremely well in the Pres Election, it's extraordinary.

I thought the chameleon like FF would move into the Casey space after the election, but seems they haven't, probably out of fear of losing the media. That ground is there for the taking in Midlands north west and there's enough of it for more than a few Dail seats.

A charismatic operator with a more fleshed out programme building on the issues that Casey stumbled into could do really well in this area. I won't be the only one watching to see how well he polls.
    No it's not there for the taking, at least not in this. The three incumbents should be returned ad FF with two candidates would be favoured for seat number 4. I really don't get why posters imagine the Presidential vote is future evidence of any voting intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hahahaha the only alternative is to give them houses.

Give me a break. We can do like Australia and send them to an island. That worked for Oz. Sharp drop in the number of "asylum seekers" once they realised they were not getting a cushy life in a b&b

Yeah, you realise that would still be direct provision, and probably cost as much if not more. ? (Any particular island in mind by the way ?) Back in the real world, whether you like it or not there, are certain minimum standards that we are obliged to maintain in respect of housing asylum seekers. Direct Provision seems to be either a cushy number for freeloaders, or an inhumane prison system, according to your worldview. In reality it's an imperfect answer to fulfill our international obligations, while not making the system her overly attractive. It's clearly not ideal that people spend years in the system, but as pointed out elsewhere that is really down to appeals and court cases, which can take years. Initial asylum claims are decided on relatively quickly. If you see someone complaining they are in the system for 7/8 years you can be sure they are not on their first trip around the block. Many of them would actually have deportation orders which they are challenging in Court. That's the real elephant in the room here. The High Court needs serious resources allocated to it to deal with cases. I'd favour a dedicated Immigration court system myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

is_that_so wrote: »
    No it's not there for the taking, at least not in this. The three incumbents should be returned ad FF with two candidates would be favoured for seat number 4. I really don't get why posters imagine the Presidential vote is future evidence of any voting intentions.

Perhaps not in this election as the constituency is a bit too diverse. He may well be running this time to maintain profile for the upcoming GE. If Casey ran in Longford Westmeath for example I think he could not just win a seat but top the poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Faugheen wrote: »
    Plumb said without foundation that people will vote for Maria Walsh because she’s gay and won the ROT. They have no proof of that?

Well there is no way in hell she would be on the ballot paper if it wasn't for the profile she got as winner of ROT and indeed fact she was first openly gay winner.

And yes she will get votes because she is
    a) FG
    b) a woman
    c) from Mayo
    d) Gay
    e) nice to some people that have met her
    I’m saying that people will vote for Casey because he speaks their racist views.

I’ve asked that poster numerous times to just simply say: ‘I’m not voting for Casey because of his racist views’ and they didn’t.

Ah yes everyone that disagrees with you is a racist.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The winner had the entire political and media class behind him, casey was demonised by all from both for a week, his result was phenomenal

Casey doing so well should have been a wake up call to politicians.

The laugh is they, and the modern liberally minded mostly supposed left, still have learned nothing from what is happening all over the world.
    Ordinary people are getting tired of stuff being shoved down their throats by media, celebrities, academics and politicians.

Of course these groups then label the people as ignorant, racist, bigotted right wingers.

They still haven't copped on that ordinary people are worried about globalisation, about mass immigration that affects their and their childrens future access to education, healthcare, housing, and they are worried about things like crime, terrorism, non integrating ghettos in their towns and cities.

Now the last two don't really apply to Ireland, but they are part of the mix in lots of European states at this stage.

Of course this is all played as racism and stupidity.
    But is it stupid to worry about crime being perpetrated by a tiny minority who often are allowed operate outside of the laws of the land, but to add insult to injury are then awarded special status that will used to copperfasten their outsider status ?

Is it stupid to worry that large number of uneducated unskilled migrants will have detrimental effects on access to housing, education, healthcare?

Basically the politicians, the media, academics, NGOs, the connected ones and the right on well meaning crowd are telling the people there is nothing to worry about. Basically it is a suck it up.
    And you are a racist for evening voicing your concerns.

And the same ones then wonder why if the hopeless, the bumblers, the right wingers who listen, or the shysters who pretend to listen, are getting the votes.

Yes there are the bigots, the racists, the religious conservatives, the real right wingers, but according to some everyone not subscribing to their exact views are now racists and bigots.

On a world stage one example of how fooked the world has become is when a LGB campaigner and pioneer such as Martina Navratilova is lambasted for not being an excusor of the modern LGBT lunacy in womens/transexual sport.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    We need him to run for The dail. Not Europe. The guy is totally clueless. It goes to show what one guy speaking the truth can do, so many other weaknesses but speaking the truth and he wins a sizeable percentage of the vote !

That is because so few now speak anything resembling the truth.
    It is a rarity and refreshing.
    The comment by the panel on the night of the debate about traveller halting sites spoke volumes as to who was honest and not a complete disingenous liar.
    The

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Could you imagine what one competent honest party could do here? Achieve 15-20% of the vote and you would have huge influence !

Could you imagine what one competent honest party could do here? Achieve 15-20% of the vote and you would have huge influence !

People say this all the time, but any party who has tried to be 'honest' has failed to do anything. See Renua, Identity Ireland etc.

jmayo wrote: »
    Well there is no way in hell she would be on the ballot paper if it wasn't for the profile she got as winner of ROT and indeed fact she was first openly gay winner.

And yes she will get votes because she is
    a) FG
    b) a woman
    c) from Mayo
    d) Gay
    e) nice to some people that have met her

And the racists will vote for Casey, which was my point. Thank you for agreeing with me.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Ah yes everyone that disagrees with you is a racist

Not at all. They could vote for a number of candidates that I would disagree with. That doesn't make those people racists.

If they're voting for Casey then they are, in my opinion, which I have said multiple times in this thread.

People praise Casey for 'sticking to his guns and not apologising' whereas I'm being ridiculed for sticking to mine and being told I need to apologise.

It's funny how it works out when people disagree with your views, isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

It certainly takes some imagination. "competent honest party" is an oxymoron if ever there was one. Honest and competent people don't go into politics.
    Try to figure out the lease worst candidate in your opinion and go for that.

And the racists will vote for Casey, which was my point. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Not at all. They could vote for a number of candidates that I would disagree with. That doesn't make those people racists.

If they're voting for Casey then they are, in my opinion, which I have said multiple times in this thread.

People praise Casey for 'sticking to his guns and not apologising' whereas I'm being ridiculed for sticking to mine and being told I need to apologise.

It's funny how it works out when people disagree with your views, isn't it?

Not all beers are largers. Just because there will be some racists voting for Casey doesn't make all Casey voters racist.
    You've taken the groundless view that they are and that's why you're being told you need to apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Renua laughably lost a lot of votes due to their pro life stance. Funny how so many of the young electorate will take a stand on a massively grey area and yet be prepared to emigrate in droves like nurses and doctors. Or live at home in their mid thirties, due to the housing crisis. Hundreds of thousands varadkar has brainwashed there. You got e1.50 extra a week as a workers last year in USc cut, yet I bet they believe believe varadkar rewards the early risers. They’ll be rising in the middle of the night in the not too distant future, to work two jobs so they can be lifelong serfs to varadkar and his Kennedy Wilson mates.

Too many of the parties playing it too safe. All fishing in the same pond. Might make sense if you are the establishment, but if you have no seats and nothing to lose , better off just representing those who feel they have no voice and actually speaking up for them ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Peter up to his usual tricks today I see

Gift grub last week summed him up perfectly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Renua laughably lost a lot of votes due to their pro life stance. Funny how so many of the young electorate will take a stand on a massively grey area and yet be prepared to emigrate in droves like nurses and doctors. Or live at home in their mid thirties, due to the housing crisis. Hundreds of thousands varadkar has brainwashed there. You got e1.50 extra a week as a workers last year in USc cut, yet I bet they believe believe varadkar rewards the early risers. They’ll be rising in the middle of the night in the not too distant future, to work two jobs so they can be lifelong serfs to varadkar and his Kennedy Wilson mates.

I'd love a pro life /anti abortion political party hopefully Aontu can become that party

People say this all the time, but any party who has tried to be 'honest' has failed to do anything. See Renua, Identity Ireland etc.

The reason new parties find it hard to get going is that one of the larger established parties with the machine behind them will usually shift just enough to steal the ground from under them.

Renua failed because it was essentially a single issue party that found itself on the wrong side of the debate.

That said, if renua moves into the Casey space it might revive itself though.

And the racists will vote for Casey

That's a bit like trying to claim "the homosexuals" will vote for Leo Varadkar . . . it aint necessarily so.

You throw the word racist around a lot, can you tell us what you seem to think it means as opposed to the actual dictionary and therefore true meaning in English ?

I'd love a pro life /anti abortion political party hopefully Aontu can become that party

Nice to know you want women to keep getting the plane and can't accept the overwhelming result of the referendum.

Nice to know you want women to keep getting the plane and can't accept the overwhelming result of the referendum.

Of course I accept the referendum results. thats democracy doesn't mean I can't hope another referendum couldn't overturn it.

Got my first pamphlet through the door from Carthy. Are all of the items below (exactly as written by him), issues that an MEP deals with?

Matt is fighting for -
    Jobs, infrastructure and services for rural Ireland.
    A radically reformed EU that works for the people.
    Supports for families in mortgage distress.
    Measures for banks and corporations to pay their share of taxes.
    A fair deal for Irish family farmers.
    A United ireland.

and against -
    Brexit and any hardening of the border in Ireland.
    The further transfer of powers to Brussels.
    More stealth taxes on Irish families.
    Cuts to local services.
    Dangerous EU trade deals.
    The creation of an EU army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Got my first pamphlet through the door from Carthy. Are all of the items below (exactly as written by him), issues that an MEP deals with?

Seems even as a sitting MEP he is unaware of the role. Yet he's a professional according to some here. As an aside Matt is going to run for election in the next GE so we will get a nominee if his without the right to vote for them or to know their position on policy.

• Advertisement

Seems even as a sitting MEP he is unaware of the role. Yet he's a professional according to some here. As an aside Matt is going to run for election in the next GE so we will get a nominee if his without the right to vote for them or to know their position on policy.

Sounds like a scam

As posts like this show, a lot of people didn't understand what we voted for. The referendum was not about making abortion legal but allowing the oireachtas the freedom to legislate however it so wished on the issue.

The oireachtas could introduce an even more anti-abortion regime than before and it wouldn't be unconstitutional under the amendment.

As posts like this show, a lot of people didn't understand what we voted for. The referendum was not about making abortion legal but allowing the oireachtas the freedom to legislate however it so wished on the issue.

The oireachtas could introduce an even more anti-abortion regime than before and it wouldn't be unconstitutional under the amendment.

People knew full well what they were voting for. It was brought up and challenged numerous times.

People knew full well what they were voting for. It was brought up and challenged numerous times.

Well you clearly didn't.

It's a perfectly legitimate position to want to repeal Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act 2018, while acknowledging and accepting the result of the referendum.

Matt is fighting for -
    Jobs, infrastructure and services for rural Ireland.
    A radically reformed EU that works for the people.
    Supports for families in mortgage distress.
    Measures for banks and corporations to pay their share of taxes.
    A fair deal for Irish family farmers.
    A United ireland.

and against -
    Brexit and any hardening of the border in Ireland.
    The further transfer of powers to Brussels.
    More stealth taxes on Irish families.
    Cuts to local services.
    Dangerous EU trade deals.
    The creation of an EU army.

One of the backward problems in Ireland is our EU representatives are expected to spend their time dealing with local parish potholes etc. Any EU candidate that doesn't do a lot of parish pump politics is doomed to failure. This in turn totally weakens our actual voice and our effective involvement in important issues nationally and in Europe. I once watched an EU politician successfully persuade entire estate to change their Nice treaty vote in return for speed limit signs for their estate. I never once witnessed him being asked or challenged about an actual EU parliament issue on the doorstep. We are where we are for good reason. Most Irish people have no idea how the EU parliament works, and how it's structured, and how it effects their lives, nor do they seem to care unless RTE tells them what to care about and what opinion to have.

Well you clearly didn't.

It's a perfectly legitimate position to want to repeal Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act 2018, while acknowledging and accepting the result of the referendum.

So what do you propose?

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    One of the backward problems in Ireland is our EU representatives are expected to spend their time dealing with local parish potholes etc. Any EU candidate that doesn't do a lot of parish pump politics is doomed to failure. This in turn totally weakens our actual voice and our effective involvement in important issues nationally and in Europe. I once watched an EU politician successfully persuade entire estate to change their Nice treaty vote in return for speed limit signs for their estate. We are where we are for good reason.
    That kind of transactional politics points to an aloof political class disconnected from their electorate. While that was a local issue and not at all for an MEP to be dealing with, it was a community using their vote as leverage to get what they want.

Mid political cycle, it can often be the only way to get heard, so why shouldn't people use that leverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

jmayo wrote:
    And yes she will get votes because she is a) FG b) a woman c) from Mayo d) Gay e) nice to some people that have met her
    If she went in Dubliner n she would definitely get elected, not so sure in the constituency she is going in.

So what do you propose?

I'm not proposing to change the law.

You said that people who want the law changed don't accept the referendum result. I'm pointing out to you that you can accept the result and want the law changed and that there is no conflict between those two ideas.

I'm not proposing to change the law.

You said that people who want the law changed don't accept the referendum result. I'm pointing out to you that you can accept the result and want the law changed and that there is no conflict between those two ideas.

The 8th Amendment was repealed with the condition of the legislation being introduced as it currently is. This couldn't have been made clearer.

How would you like the legislation to be? No abortions at all?

The 8th Amendment was repealed with the condition of the legislation being introduced as it currently is. This couldn't have been made clearer.

It wasn't a condition. The white paper was a non binding outline of the government's plans.

The referendum replaced 40.3.3 with the following, and this is the constitutional position:

"Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy."

The above text is all we voted on and nothing there guarantees a right to abortion. In fact in the period between the amendment being approved and the new law coming into force abortion was illegal but the position was still constitutional.

This is all an aside, but I hope you're feeling a little educated even though it's a bit late.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a condition. The white paper was a non binding outline of the government's plans.

The referendum replaced 40.3.3 with the following, and this is the constitutional position:

"Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy."

The above text is all we voted on and nothing there guarantees a right to abortion. In fact in the period between the amendment being approved and the new law coming into force abortion was illegal but the position was still constitutional.

This is all an aside, but I hope you're feeling a little educated even though it's a bit late.

It was very clear that the white paper is what was going to be the legislation that would be introduced, and the referendum still passed overwhelmingly.

There's no desire for the stone-age policies akin to what the 8th Amendment represented in Irish society, so good luck to any party who tries to take that position.

It was very clear that the white paper is what was going to be the legislation that would be introduced, and the referendum still passed overwhelmingly.

There's no desire for the stone-age policies akin to what the 8th Amendment represented in Irish society, so good luck to any party who tries to take that position.

I agree with you to a point. The white paper was only a political promise and only an outline at that.

There may well be no appetite for change and any political party campaigning on the issue may well find that out. The issue I have with you is that you've effectively said that those campaigning for a change to the law would be ignoring the will of the people. The only will that the people expressed was that the oireachtas should determine how abortion is regulated. That's what's in the Constitution and that's all that matters.

I agree with you to a point. The white paper was only a political promise and only an outline at that.

There may well be no appetite for change and any political party campaigning on the issue may well find that out. The issue I have with you is that you've effectively said that those campaigning for a change to the law would be ignoring the will of the people. The only will that the people expressed was that the oireachtas should determine how abortion is regulated. That's what's in the Constitution and that's all that matters.

'Anti-abortion', which is what the poster said, is ignoring the will of the people, when you consider the white paper which came with the referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

is_that_so wrote: »
    He hasn't actually done anything.

This. He wishes to short circuit the process by getting elected, for the sake of it. It's almost as if he has a bet on with some of his wealthy buddies.

He has no track record of actually doing any work for a constituency anywhere.
    His legacy so far is to have a rant, walk away and leave the issue MORE entrenched, unsolvable than before he opened his beak.

Abortions only in very rare cases, rape and FFA,
    Abortion shouldn't be used as s form of birth control life is more important than that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Can we not have 1 thread where abortion comes up its not like anyone going for Europe can change it

Can we not have 1 thread where abortion comes up its not like anyone going for Europe can change it

When Faugheen acknowledges he was wrong.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

:o:o:o
    Welp good bye thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Except that in this context "honesty" usually translates as " I agree with that view". It tends to be in the eye of the beholder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

When Faugheen acknowledges he was wrong.

Good luck with getting a liar to admit they are wrong. ;-)

• Advertisement

Abortions only in very rare cases, rape and FFA,
    Abortion shouldn't be used as s form of birth control life is more important than that

How do you legislate for abortion in the case of rape without the victim having to go through the courts process?

I've yet to find anyone who has proven me otherwise.

How do you legislate for abortion in the case of rape without the victim having to go through the courts process?

Trust based system would suit.
    Not all rape victims can go to the police.

Trust based system would suit.
    Not all rape victims can go to the police.

So how do you legislate for a 'trust-based' system?

You do realise the laws are the way they are so rape victims can be cared for without judgement or having to relive the experience?

You can't legislate for rape on a 'trust-based system'. That is the biggest load of uninformed bollocks that I've ever come across.

The second 'rape' is entered into the legislation then it becomes a judicial matter also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

He was referring to bogus applications who use the appeal system to drag out the process by years.
    These people take the opportunities from genuine refugees we could be helping.
    Bogus applications for refugee status are freeloaders what would you call them?

I'd call them scam artists.
    The vast majority of people applying for asylum in Ireland are not legitimate asylum seekers. This is known.
    The asylum process has been broken in Ireland for many years, but any attempt to fix it was immediately shouted down with claims of racism; especially by vested NGOs. The whole premise for the likes of Sinn Fein and the other mainstream political parties in this country is that every single asylum seeker claiming asylum is telling the truth.

And don't forget that Sinn Fein does not want any cap on the number of people from around the world who can claim asylum in Ireland. (See Sinn Fein's website for confirmation of their policy). And instead of deportations, they want amnesty for failed asylum seekers in Ireland, even for those convicted of crimes in this country.
    This is a ludicrous concept. Ireland is too small to accept every asylum applicant on the planet who wants to come here.
    I'm sure though that Sinn Fein supporters will start wising up to this crazy notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hell do more than the current crop of useless ****ers in Brussels. Hopefully he uses his platform to solve rural burglaries and ends direct provision. There are 4 people of voting age in my house. All voting casey no. 1

What? MEPs dont do the job of the gardai and minister for Justice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So how do you legislate for a 'trust-based' system?

You do realise the laws are the way they are so rape victims can be cared for without judgement or having to relive the experience?

You can't legislate for rape on a 'trust-based system'. That is the biggest load of uninformed bollocks that I've ever come across.

The second 'rape' is entered into the legislation then it becomes a judicial matter also.

You don't legislate for a trust based system
    Trust is the key,
    Also father's should have a say in the future of their child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hell do more than the current crop of useless ****ers in Brussels. Hopefully he uses his platform to solve rural burglaries and ends direct provision. There are 4 people of voting age in my house. All voting casey no. 1

That is a pressing issue for the other 26 member states, I believe. Some of them can't sleep for what goes on in rural Ireland.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That kind of transactional politics points to an aloof political class disconnected from their electorate. While that was a local issue and not at all for an MEP to be dealing with, it was a community using their vote as leverage to get what they want.

Mid political cycle, it can often be the only way to get heard, so why shouldn't people use that leverage.

Actually it points to a very ill educated uninformed electorate who laughably are prepared have their votes bought for the price of an estate speed sign they should have been provided with anyway, and elect charlatans who like to continue to keep them in the dark, and to make laws in the European parliament with no regard or interest as to what the actual laws will be, should be, or what undoubted impact they will have on their lives. You might think that's a nice healthy democracy, but it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nobelium wrote:
    Actually it points to a very ill educated uninformed electorate who laughably are prepared have their votes bought for the price of an estate speed sign they should have been provided with anyway, and elect charlatans who like to continue to keep them in the dark, and to make laws in the European parliament with no regard or interest as to what the actual laws will be, should be, or what undoubted impact they will have on their lives. You might think that's a nice healthy democracy, but it isn't.
    What do you suggest the electorate do when they are not happy with any of the political parties?
    Who do you want them to vote for then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement