Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Phoebas wrote: »
    He couldn't have made himself more clear.
    He admits to being a racist.

And still we have his supporters insisting that he isn't.
    Is the candidate that 'says it as it is' not saying it as it is? :confused:

I in no way ascribe to what Peter Casey is selling. Another snake skinned salesmen saying what a certain section of people want to hear and using divisive policies instead of trying to help everyone.

But i don't think that video shows him being a racist. He says i'm racist as i'm a proud irishman. Basically if me saying i'm a proud Irishman makes me racist then so be it. So not the same thing in my opinion.

He's still a tool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Scoundrel wrote: »
    He's a total spoofer he hasn't a clue the real danger is when someone far more intelligent and knowledgeable than Casey tries this anti immigrant punch down shtick.

Casey has shown himself to be a fool but there is no worse neo marxist term than " punch down"

Renders it impossible to in anyway criticise someone with official minority status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

VinLieger wrote: »
    He's on video literally admitting to being a racist, how are people still not getting this?

He could easily have said " I'm a snowman"

The man cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, anything can come out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

VinLieger wrote: »
    He's on video literally admitting to being a racist, how are people still not getting this?

Pick out the bit that you want to here.

Berserker wrote: »
    Would depend on the content. If the article related to the subsection of Irish people who engaged in terrorists acts in the UK in the 80s, the title would be appropriate. If it was aimed at Irish people in general then it would be racist. Nothing Peter Casey says is racist. His willingness to bring certain topics to the fore doesn't sit well with certain people and they use the racist label to try and hush him.

The could have named the subsection of people you referred too,yet the chose to to use the word ''Irish''.You can't get more racist than that.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    That's because his supporters are racist morons

I see anyone that has different view of the mainstream media is a racist moran now.Get a grip of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Casey supporters in this thread remind me of Trump supporters. No matter what dumb shít he comes out with, a certain percentage will still support him.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Casey supporters in this thread remind me of Trump supporters. No matter what dumb shhe comes out with, a certain percentage will still support him.

The rest will support the FG/FF/Lab that their families supported for generations regardless who the candidate is.Just like sheep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Casey supporters in this thread remind me of Trump supporters. No matter what dumb shít he comes out with, a certain percentage will still support him.

And in the case of Trump they are happy that they did,not least because he kept his promises in the main so far.

It's amusing listening to the huffs and tears of impotent rage from some people on here..When you can't affect the outcome you try to denigrate the candidate AND their supporters but nobody cares about your pinko feelings being hurt..as you should really know by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mgn wrote: »
    The rest will support the FG/FF/Lab that their families supported for generations regardless who the candidate is.Just like sheep.

Now I've heard it all - Anyone who doesn't support Casey are sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Agreed. Find mindless adherence to the party the worst of all. I think some people see it like supporting a football team and they just want their team to win. I believe the electoral history in Ireland used to show that. You'd have a FF or FG voter transferring to labour rather than helping 'the other team' who was far more ideologically in line with the voter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Play the man instead of the ball any old way you like, but you are trying to fix the the broken stable door regarding debate about entitlement culture.
    Casey and Trump are quite different, but neither of them do sacred cows. The presidential vote in both countries show an increasing impatience with taboo debates. Casey has my vote every time until the 'establishment' cops on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

robman60 wrote: »
    I am in fair of tightening immigration, with the biggest issue being the non-execution of deportation notices. That is farcical. However, I think Casey is making the argument terribly. If he were making the argument cogently, I think he'd hit 15% FPV no problem.

The issue is, he has touched on the occasional right thing down to his intuition or something, but he lacks the ability to make something approaching a coherent campaign point.

I still think he will take 10-12% FPV and if he gets the upper end of that, he will be in the running, especially if it's Smyth who he takes votes from which I think is likely.
    12% is not enough. He's an independent with little hope of picking up transfers from any of those who will probably finish below him. He has no appeal outside of those who favour his opinions. He'll have 3-4 other candidates ahead of him, excluding McGuinness.

Agreed. Find mindless adherence to the party the worst of all. I think some people see it like supporting a football team and they just want their team to win. I believe the electoral history in Ireland used to show that. You'd have a FF or FG voter transferring to labour rather than helping 'the other team' who was far more ideologically in line with the voter.
    Ming & Carthy will get plenty of votes and objectively McGuinness is a pretty good politician and a strong voice on Brexit. Casey is not a victim of the "mindless adherence to party" theory, he's just a truly awful, clueless candidate

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ming & Carthy will get plenty of votes and objectively McGuinness is a pretty good politician and a strong voice on Brexit. Casey is not a victim of the "mindless adherence to party" theory, he's just a truly awful, clueless candidate

My point was more a general one really. Just saying that it was unfair to critique Casey voters specifically when there are huge numbers who just vote on the party label with nothing on the candidate to go off.

If you read the posts above mine, you will see what I was referring to. I think 12% would be enough for him as he will get a bit from FF transfer too. If he has enough of a lead, it would be hard to catch. All I'm saying is still an outside shot with Walsh followed by Smith still more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have we a troll farm in operation here, some ridiculous anti-Casey stuff going in
    The video of him saying he is a racist is cut short to try and make it look worse but there is enough there to make you believe that he is not actually admitting to being a racist.

My point was more a general one really. Just saying that it was unfair to critique Casey voters specifically when there are huge numbers who just vote on the party label with nothing on the candidate to go off.

If you read the posts above mine, you will see what I was referring to. I think 12% would be enough for him as he will get a bit from FF transfer too. If he has enough of a lead, it would be hard to catch. All I'm saying is still an outside shot with Walsh followed by Smith still more likely.

He's not really and if you want an example go back to 2009 and Ganley. He got over 13% but no terribly useful numbers of transfers. In total he got about 10K. To be safe and to keep ahead of the rest of the pack you need 14-15%. Harkin only got 10% but steadily acquired transfers, about 40K or so, from everyone who was eliminated and pipped Gallagher for the final seat.

Which type of Indo do you think Casey is?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have we a troll farm in operation here, some ridiculous anti-Casey stuff going in
    The video of him saying he is a racist is cut short to try and make it look worse but there is enough there to make you believe that he is not actually admitting to being a racist.

He literally says the words 'I am a racist'.

And he doubled down on that on Ivan Yates the other day.

'Made to look worse than it is' - Christ.

He's not really and if you want an example go back to 2009 and Ganley. He got over 13% but no terribly useful numbers of transfers. In total he got about 10K. To be safe and to keep ahead of the rest of the pack you need 14-15%. Harkin only got 10% but steadily acquired transfers, about 40K or so, from everyone who was eliminated and pipped Gallagher for the final seat.

Which type of Indo do you think Casey is?

He got fourth highest and ended up fourth. It was a three seater back then so wasn't enough. All who finished ahead of him got more FPVs. Harkin topped in 2009. I think last time she got more FPV than Pat the Cope too but he nearly caught her when he got the FF transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Mr. Casey sees an opportunity to create a new revenue stream for himself by being a politition. He has attempted to target a market where he thinks he can get some votes. I think he is a bit of a gob****e who is willing to say anything that is likely to get him votes. I don't know if he actually believes what he says, but he beleives it will appeal to his target market. Maybe a lot like a lot of politicians, but the fact that he goes after race, and nationality etc makes him more odious in my view..

He got fourth highest and ended up fourth. It was a three seater back then so wasn't enough. All who finished ahead of him got more FPVs. Harkin topped in 2009. I think last time she got more FPV than Pat the Cope too but he nearly caught her when he got the FF transfers.
    He didn't get elected and could not off that figure because he was transfer toxic. Yeah Gallagher nearly made it and they will help Smith but Casey has no transfers to bank on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yep. Must be a troll farm. How could anyone be critical of Casey off their own bat!

Doesn't seem to matter what you dislike, you're a racist for disliking it. It doesn't even apply to travellers, so should never have been bandied around Casey to begin with.

I don't like most of the travellers I have met. If that makes me racist, then so be it. I'll wear that badge with pride, and when travellers start getting their act together, I'll revise my opinion.

In the meantime, I voted Casey no. 1. I don't particularly care if he gets in or not, and if he does, I don't really see him making much of a difference, but I agree with a minority of his views (albeit almost strictly limited to the traveller viewpoint) and I'd like to see him encouraged on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I wonder will Casey underperform in the exit poll. People may not want to admit they voted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I wonder will Casey underperform in the exit poll. People may not want to admit they voted for him.

Says a lot about the calibre of candidate if those that vote for them don't even want to admit it.

• Advertisement

Why do you think people would do that? I imagine it will be an excuse for some if he fares badly, until the count results appear.

Says a lot about the calibre of candidate if those that vote for them don't even want to admit it.

It's a worldwide thing. Australia last week, Brexit, Trump, all show that there is something around a 4% swing (so maybe 2% of people) who lie because they don't admit it when polled. It consistently underestimates what is seen as the politically incorrect thing to do.

I think all it shows as a general point is the media should stop pontificating to voters. I think Casey has nothing to offer as a candidate, but I remember Fintan O'Toole saying the day after the presidential that this was the far right getting a foothold in Ireland. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why do you think people would do that? I imagine it will be an excuse for some if he fares badly, until the count results appear.
    Nah it's just a regular thing people who vote for right wing candidates aren't always open with pollsters. Also a lot of people wouldn't take part in an exit poll, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think all it shows as a general point is the media should stop pontificating to voters.

The 'media' have opinions...just like the man and woman in the street.

People call it 'pontificating' because you don't like the opinion. It's an incredibly immature way to consume media which is actually as varied in opinion as the man and and woman in the street.

Nah it's just a regular thing people who vote for right wing candidates aren't always open with pollsters. Also a lot of people wouldn't take part in an exit poll, I wouldn't.
    And yet many would. These things run all day. 3000 or so I believe they interview.

• Advertisement

I voted for him and couldn't care less if he is elected or not.I'm happy with my vote.

It's a worldwide thing. Australia last week, Brexit, Trump, all show that there is something around a 4% swing (so maybe 2% of people) who lie because they don't admit it when polled. It consistently underestimates what is seen as the politically incorrect thing to do.

I think all it shows as a general point is the media should stop pontificating to voters. I think Casey has nothing to offer as a candidate, but I remember Fintan O'Toole saying the day after the presidential that this was the far right getting a foothold in Ireland. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    This is not a GE and there are only 13 seats on offer.

And yet many would. These things run all day. 3000 or so I believe they interview.
    I don't think we'll be able to call the 4th MNW seat from that exit poll. Maybe one of the top 3 might underperform either though.

I don't think we'll be able to call the 4th MNW seat from that exit poll. Maybe one of the top 3 might underperform either though.
    The FPV percentage should give a fairly decent indication of who's in and who's out of the running.

Faugheen wrote:
    He literally says the words 'I am a racist'.
    The video is cut very short, why not let us hear everything he said? Maybe because he explains that he is not actually racist but because he is Irish he will be called a racist?

I'm voting for Casey and if anybody asks me I'm telling them I voted for McGuiness and Walsh.

I'm voting for Casey and if anybody asks me I'm telling them I voted for McGuiness and Walsh.
    And no doubt you'll post that you were asked even if you weren't! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't know anyone who does that.
    And in the case of Trump they are happy that they did,not least because he kept his promises in the main so far.

It's amusing listening to the huffs and tears of impotent rage from some people on here..When you can't affect the outcome you try to denigrate the candidate AND their supporters but nobody cares about your pinko feelings being hurt..as you should really know by now.
    Trump kept some promises, didn't keep others. Like every politician in the world. His main promise was "built the wall" and "lock her up". How are they going?

You want Casey to keep his promise? Last week it was to leave the EU, this week it was to stay. Which promises do you want him to keep?

I voted for him in the presidential election. I can see now that was a mistake, the guy hasn't a clue. He's an embarrassment. A bit like voting for someone to "own the libs" is. You'll be inserting a buttplug on webcam to "own the libs" next

I don't know anyone who does that.

Your not from the country so or else you don't know many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I voted for him and couldn't care less if he is elected or not.I'm happy with my vote.

Go on then, give us you real name

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Or rather the intolerance and hatefulness in society towards anyone who tells the truth

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Go on then, give us you real name

Patrick James Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I am a racist but I don’t think I’ll be voting for peter

Or anyone, for that matter as I figure the vote registers loudest is the one that does not register at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The video is cut very short, why not let us hear everything he said? Maybe because he explains that he is not actually racist but because he is Irish he will be called a racist?

That's one giant leap of straw-manning there.

Are you going to keep cutting out my posts where I said he doubled down on it on Ivan Yates on Wednesday or are you just going to pretend I didn't say it and come up with excuses for him admitting he's a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Doesn't seem to matter what you dislike, you're a racist for disliking it. It doesn't even apply to travellers, so should never have been bandied around Casey to begin with.

I don't like most of the travellers I have met. If that makes me racist, then so be it. I'll wear that badge with pride, and when travellers start getting their act together, I'll revise my opinion.

In the meantime, I voted Casey no. 1. I don't particularly care if he gets in or not, and if he does, I don't really see him making much of a difference, but I agree with a minority of his views (albeit almost strictly limited to the traveller viewpoint) and I'd like to see him encouraged on that.

What an idiotic way to vote. :rolleyes:

Casey is on 7% according to exit poll. That's him gone if it pans out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

7% :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Que the pavee point celebrations if it is 7%

namloc1980 wrote: »
    7% :pac:
    +/-3%

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement