Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nobelium wrote: »
    given how is opponents use the term they don't know the meaning of it either, in fact it has become a meaningless ad homiem attempt at this stage.

Ah Peter will you get some kip, it's been a long day . You'll need the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

https://commodity.com/debt-clock/japan/

According to the IMF, Japan’s national debt to GDP ratio was 236% in 2017, making it the highest national debt in the world when compared to the national income.

The poor oul Japanese must be bankrupted for ten generations. In reality capitalism depends on lending and borrowing and every country in the world has a national debt. Ours is nothing out of the ordinary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

listermint wrote: »
    Ah Peter will you get some kip, it's been a long day . You'll need the rest

hug some trees and dream of imposing some corrupt carbon taxes on ordinary people you'll feel better there's a good girl

hug some trees and dream of imposing carbon taxes on ordinary people you'll feel better

Quite the retort

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Quite the retort

indeed, enjoy paying them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

According to the IMF, Japan’s national debt to GDP ratio was 236% in 2017, making it the highest national debt in the world when compared to the national income.

The poor oul Japanese must be bankrupted for ten generations. In reality capitalism depends on lending and borrowing and every country in the world has a national debt. Ours is nothing out of the ordinary.

Most Japanese debt is internal, i.e. they've borrowed from themselves. There is an incentive therefore not too bankrupt the Japanese government as it would inevitably lead to the lenders own demise.

That said, many have been big and lost their shirt being against Japanese sovereign debt.
    I saw that number as well. I can't believe that they are actually reporting "Exit polls" based on such small numbers. I reckon if I had put a full tank in the Granada this morning and put in a long day I could have got the opinions of more than that.

You don't need big sample sizes to get an accurate picture. 4000 sounds like enough for the whole country when sampled correctly.

The exit polls are not lying, they'll be very close to the actual result in the end. There's no point in being in denial about it tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I saw that number as well. I can't believe that they are actually reporting "Exit polls" based on such small numbers. I reckon if I had put a full tank in the Granada this morning and put in a long day I could have got the opinions of more than that.

You should look up how polls work and how the margin of error changes with sample size

That is not a small number to get reasonable accuracy, according to those who are in the business. This is from one of their earlier polls methodology. Keep the Granada in the garage.

Accuracy
    In a truly random and representative
    sample, the margin for error at 95%
    confidence for the total sample of
    3,474 should be a minimum of + or –
    1.7%.
    However, the approach to opinion
    and exit polling does not provide for
    a 100% random sample. All polls are
    subject to a wide range of potential
    sources of error, due to issues such
    as refusal levels and location choice.
    As such the margin for error could be
    somewhat higher than this, at more
    like + or – 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I would be a lot happier if Ming loses his seat than if Casey was elected President and MEP Together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ha ha ha, you wish lol
    No, I know unlike you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I was in a position where I looked at the polling card and went f*uck who are these people?...can I do a 4,5,6 - so I voted green #1 and the Casey (kind of an anti establishment and aptly #2) and Ming #3 because well, one must. I hope RTE/TG4 poll are wrong I don't want either FF or FG (particularly) feeling all is OK because it isn't.

I am normally a left wing voter btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.
    Mark Twain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Pretzill wrote: »
    I was in a position where I looked at the polling card and went f*uck who are these people?...can I do a 4,5,6 - so I voted green #1 and the Casey (kind of an anti establishment and aptly #2) and Ming #3 because well, one must. I hope RTE/TG4 poll are wrong I don't want either FF or FG (particularly) feeling all is OK because it isn't.

I am normally a left wing voter btw.

Well get used to it.

The country doesn’t want a left wing party in charge.

Protestant people voted for de Valera in presidential elections, because he was in power when IRA men were executed in the 1940's. In the North the DUP claim some Catholics vote for them because of their stand on abortion.

Well get used to it.

The country doesn’t want a left wing party in charge.

I hope that fact never changes either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

the people have a short memory, the greens in cahoots with FF bankrupted Ireland for a generation last time they were in power.

Not forgetting the John Gormley Sewage Disposal Facility in his constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

No swing to FG so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Edgware wrote: »
    Not forgetting the John Gormley Sewage Disposal Facility in his constituency.

When you add other debts its closer to 333 billion. In 2008 the uk backed irelands call for 36 billion in ango be left defaulted.
    Timothy gihgner (rough spelling) vetoed it. Good man obama shure he drank a pint in offaly. Orange man bad! Obama through ****ed us in just dat alone i could go on but fact and logic v fanatics dies not end well..

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Mark Twain

More true now than ever before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Edgware wrote: »
    No swing to FG so?

The only swing connected to FG is the one Maria Bailey was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

eagle eye wrote: »
    If a younger smarter person takes up his mantle he will get elected and probably top a poll.

You thought Mairead McGuinness would be lucky to get a seat.
    If you think somebody from a party which has shut down rural hospitals, made a major blunder with billions of our euro on the new children's hospital, left rural Ireland without broadband, wants everybody to stop cutting turf and has a gay party leader is going to top the poll in the northwest region you are deluded.
    Sadly she might get a seat.
    I think she will at best be fourth. There are lots of posters up for her running mate in Sligo, Donegal and Roscommon. I don't think I've seen a poster for McGuinness yet. They could do themselves out of getting even one seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Exit polls mean zilch. I don't think too many are going to admit they voted for Casey in an exit poll. Somehow, I think he will be much higher.

Whilst there’ll be a larger margin of error in a large consistency, this is highly unlikely. Exit polls are generally on the money. Naturally there are exceptions.

And why would anyone hide who they voted for? Kinda odd that they’d vote for someone that they’re ashamed to admit to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You thought Mairead McGuinness would be lucky to get a seat.
    Yes, I overestimated the intelligence of the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The vast majority of Japanese debt is internally held (by both their own central bank and domestic Japanese financial institutions). Simply put, if they were to default, they would be defaulting on themselves. A world away from Ireland's debt problems then and now, when we were in hock to the world and his mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Yurt! wrote: »
    The vast majority of Japanese debt is internally held (by both their own central bank and domestic Japanese financial institutions). Simply put, if they were to default, they would be defaulting on themselves. A world away from Ireland's debt problems then and now, when we were in hock to the world and his mother.

cant pay we will take it away based on the exit polls another 5 years of climate change waffle and inward migration eammon ryan will be delighted

Weird that she is one of the most hard working and competent MEPs we have.

Kinda crazy you think people don't see what's right in front of them..but I suppose there's not accounting for ones mad views colouring the facts.

Looks like renua and that other mad gowl party are being slammed in the polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Apparently he's picking up lots of second preferences from the FG and FF candidates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the people have a short memory, the greens in cahoots with FF bankrupted Ireland for a generation last time they were in power.

The greens made up the numbers from 2007 to 2011, they had little to do with the policies which made our experience of the global recession so much worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Doubtful, I can see him throwing his hat in the ring for the GE. If he decides to become serious/ drop the incoherent babbling , pick a position stick with it and gets some PR help he will be in with a shot. He reasonates with people, 7 per cent if that is his final result is impressive considering he is not a politician.

Casey himself is too dumb to ever bring about the change which many want, hopefully his crude and clumsy experience will encourage a more sophisticated operator to emerge, it's a big task in a country so utterly dominated by the left in terms of public discourse

The thread is suddenly full of experts on international debt. And of course as usual Ireland is the very worst in the world ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I'll be voting no.1 for The Peter to try and stop Walsh getting in! My real no.1 vote is Ming but I know he's getting in so I'll give my no.1 to Casey.

Jesus but you'd want a kick. It's that type of brain fart that got Brexit across the line.

How do you feel about you "real no.1" on 10% this morning?

badtoro wrote: »
    Jesus but you'd want a kick. It's that type of brain fart that got Brexit across the line.

Who did you vote for?

Who did you vote for?

#1 Ming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Mark Twain

Not a Mark Twain quote. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The thread is suddenly full of experts on international debt. And of course as usual Ireland is the very worst in the world ever.

Well, you went off on one about the Japanese economy without knowing what you're talking about. Don't get surprised or hot under the collar when you're corrected (by more than one poster).

batgoat wrote: »
    Not a Mark Twain quote. ;)

I think what Google tells me to think 😉

#1 Ming

I voted for Tommy Robinson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Makes wildly inaccurate and out of touch predictions...blames it on other people's intelligence.

Funny to have English people complaining about how we vote on this site.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Well, you went off on one about the Japanese economy without knowing what you're talking about. Don't get surprised or hot under the collar when you're corrected (by more than one poster).

Another poster said that Ireland is bankrupted for a generation. Using the same link I amusingly said that Japan must be bankrupted for 10 generations.

Neither of these things are true, so nobody is correct in claiming that Ireland is bankrupted for a generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Peregrine wrote: »
    Makes wildly inaccurate and out of touch predictions...blames it on other people's intelligence.

Funniest part is that Eagle was a huge Trump fan...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It's always the "sheeple" that are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You called other people deluded for saying she'd top the poll.

That wasn't very intelligent :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Casey ran a campaign that showed exactly how much respect he had for his imagined voters, thought he could just flail about devoid of policy or a grasp of, well anything, but tell everyone he tells it like it is and speaks up for those afraid to speak their poor little right wing minds and swan into an easy gig. He's a moron and a opportunist.

Peadar Toibín is a much slicker operator with a far less alienating persona though and Aontú have only managed 1%, when their pro-life platform was as hot a topic as it's ever going to be. Renua shat the bed too.

Maybe Brexit will change things but once again this fed-up-with-PC-fake-news right wing grassroots has failed to materialise, and they had plenty of options this time. When the Irish electorate swings away from the centre we consistently swing left, we're still, thank God, not fallen sick with the madness cutting a swathe through Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Sounds a lot like Gemma O'Doherty.

"I'm here in (insert Dublin suburb) and you people live in a ****hole. Vote for me!"

"The cabal and Soros are terrified of me and they rigged the election so I wouldn't get elected."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Casey ran a campaign that showed exactly how much respect he had for his imagined voters, thought he could just flail about devoid of policy or a grasp of, well anything, but tell everyone he tells it like it is and speaks up for those afraid to speak their poor little right wing minds and swan into an easy gig. He's a moron and a opportunist.

Peadar Toibín is a much slicker operator with a far less alienating persona though and Aontú have only managed 1%, when their pro-life platform was as hot a topic as it's ever going to be. Renua shat the bed too.

Maybe Brexit will change things but once again this fed-up-with-PC-fake-news right wing grassroots has failed to materialise, and they had plenty of options this time. When the Irish electorate swings away from the centre we consistently swing left, we're still, thank God, not fallen sick with the madness cutting a swathe through Europe.
    Renua were never coming to anything after Lucinda Creighton left but I think Tóibín might be onto something. Have to bear in mind that there were a lot of council areas such as my own which didn't have anyone running, so obviously a lot of areas with 0% is going to hit. THey were polling 5% in MNW region for local councils and they are getting a solid grassroots going. I wouldn't rule the party out by any means.

robman60 wrote: »
    Renua were never coming to anything after Lucinda Creighton left but I think Tóibín might be onto something. Have to bear in mind that there were a lot of council areas such as my own which didn't have anyone running, so obviously a lot of areas with 0% is going to hit. THey were polling 5% in MNW region for local councils and they are getting a solid grassroots going. I wouldn't rule the party out by any means.

There's nothing grass roots about a church sponsored party who has priests and busy bodies telling parishioners to vote for them from the alter.

Let's put this grass roots talk to rest for a start.

listermint wrote: »
    robman60 wrote: »

There's nothing grass roots about a church sponsored party who has priests and busy bodies telling parishioners to vote for them from the alter.

Let's put this grass roots talk to rest for a start.

Are you talking Renua or Mairead McGuinness there?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement