Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

the can, the kick and the road.

You would actually suffer from serious metal health issues in this country if you were passionate about rail infrastructure development.

I am going to make a prediction.

Metro will be shelved (they had no intention of building it anyway)

Luas Finglas extrended to the airport and treated like CrossRail by the politicians and media

You can go on all you like on here about 'best practice' and 'too slow' but OUT THERE no ones cares what you think and they'll be bought off with the Airport Luas no problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't agree. Look at the reaction to the Green Line going beyond capacity a few years back, if they didn't already have the Luas tram extension project on the go, there would definitely have been a project to relieve the pressure on the Luas. I'd say that the NTA are saying that any Luas out to the airport will have exactly the same optics, requiring a Metro to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

My dad moved here in the 60's and there was talk of the metro back then.

The advantage of an underground is there wont be NIMBYism. You can't complain, actually, as I type this I know there will be complaints. "Its tunnelling under my house! My coffee table vaibrates!" etc.

We can easily afford it. Just go build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I know. I get excited about these things.

Imagining myself coming back from the airport on a new Metro.

I got excited by the College Green Plaza also.

• Advertisement

I don't agree.

If our economy remains relatively stable, it'll definitely be built.

We need to open up new land for housing and this facilitates this perfectly.

We just have to be patient I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

My expectations for rail projects in Ireland have stooped so low and now just get excited when the local train station gets a new bin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The "they never seriously planned to build it" conspiracy theory requires a serious suspension of any and all political logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm curious about this post. What was the 60s proposal? The earliest iteration to my knowledge was the 1975 DART plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I dont know, I wasnt around then and I can't ask him. It may not have gotten as far as a proposal, just talk.

• Advertisement

Chorttle, and invoke the 'conspiracy theory' cognitive dissonance all you want, but when you are not getting on a Metro in 2040 you might then wake up to the fact that political logic is the biggest 'conspiracy theory' of them all.

Announcing it, spending hundreds of millions and years of effort on it, taking up time, money and effort from other projects, all while deliberately planning to cancel it makes them look much worse than just not doing anything. It is an utterly stupid theory that has no sense behind it whatsoever.

Yep. Back in the 90s was new hanging flower baskets for stations. This country is run by barely sentient morons and always will be.

• I was born 1961, from a young age listened to my mother giving out about how Todd Andrews (Tubridy’s grandfather) closed down rail routes not long before I was born, including the Harcourt Street to Shankill line, upon sone of which the Green LUAS line has been developed since. Ireland once had an extensive slow rail network, but was being replaced with plans for more roads and bus routes.

In the 1960s Dublin Airport was a small but, for this country, advanced operation, and a very cool place to visit. Only the most wealthy could afford to fly, and a lot of passengers were business travellers including my father. My parents were friends of chief air controller, Tom Donovan, so I got to visit the control tower from infancy, later got to train as a leisure pilot. By far the majority of people visiting the airport aren’t actually flying out of it, but visiting it out of curiosity or as a day out, a free alternative to the zoo. It had a well known restaurant, very popular for a special treat of a Sunday afternoon. There were viewing balconies on the old terminal, always a crowd waving off people with coloured scarfs.

But there wouldn’t have been much call for regular airport users, pax & staff to use a metro back then. Flights were few, but growing of course, and if you were wealthy enough to fly you had a car or business use of one. Car parking was east, my Dad would pull up right in front of the terminal, no bother. There was a regular bus out from Busáras, but it wouldn’t be that very frequent. Swords was only really a village at that time.

Like I said. 2040 and no Metro by then. I can assure you of this. The entire Irish political establishment depends on child-like notions that Irish politicans are all by default paragons of virture and 'shure don't we call them by their first names'

2040 no metro and the Irish who claim to be non stupid will still be defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭prunudo

2040 is 16 years away. A lot can change, but the work going on in the back ground feels far more advanced than any other previous project.

Quite simply though, it can't not go ahead. If no construction has started by 2030 then I'll be worried, if by 2040 no running trains, then yeah its a major problem. But if by 2040 there isn't a tbm in the ground then it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The Green Party MEP representing Dublin, Ciaran Cuffe, is once again distributing flyers(I live in swords). It's notable that the some of the focus of these flyers is around transportation issues, with a surprising absence of any mention of the Metrolink project. mmmm

Added to this omission and IMHO even more concerning is the suspicion that the public reversal of Minister Ryan's stance on his recommendation for a reconsideration of MetroLink, which appeared at the time to be driven mainly by his concern for his southside constituents(electorate). This appeared to be more of a political move than a genuine commitment to improving transportation infrastructure, casting doubt on the future of this crucial project. It's disheartening to observe that the Green Party, while in government, seems to neglect the transportation needs of the northside, leaving its residents with only congested roads filled with polluting diesel buses. Perhaps it's time to consider alternatives, as the actions and statements of the Green Party are causing doubt and frustration, Very fVcking frustrating. If a government with a green party in a position of power cant get this project out of the engineers wallets what chance does it have?

What party of the ones likely to be in power after the next election (SD, FF, FG, Labour and the fing greens) would be most likely not to shelve it?

This needs to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Im just waiting for the cancellation on cost saving grounds... Then inflation can double the cost of this newer cheaper scheme, designed to save a billion or two...

Like I said. 2040 and no Metro by then. I can assure you of this.

You can't, but it's entirely beside the point of your idiotic conspiracy theory. If the Metrolink is not delivered it will be incompetence, not some masterplan to never build it while wasting a decade pretending to.

their masterplan is to look like they are actually going to deliver something for years, then can it at the first opportunity. Also you cant get more incompetent than this country. They will ditch the metro, spend it on a few buses, that go nowhere in gridlock and that they dont have drivers for! "Dublin metro cancelled but alternative scheme mooted"

• Advertisement

their masterplan is to look like they are actually going to deliver something for years, then can it at the first opportunity.

WHY would that be a plan. It does nothing but make them look incompetent. Also they have had about 70 opportunities to can it, so the "first opportunity" is well in the rear view mirror. They have pushed on against frankly hysterical objections already.

The only chance of this not being built is a change in government and even then I think it's a small chance as long as the general economic situation and cheap access to debt remains.

I agree about the change in government would reduce the chance of it being built. Its not guarantee if will be built with the same government in place. Varadkar acknowledged the issue with infrastructure spending being slashed, when recessions hit and the bad consequences of it. I believe they now want to put billions aside for an infrastructure fund, to avoid this happening in future. Its a no brainer and obviously very positive, if it does happen... Read about that in the irish times last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not think the Irish Times would ever be considered pro Metrolink - or any rail infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If this project is being built to reduce the effects of climate change; the government along with TII & the NTA would feel like stupid fools in the eyes of the public in not building it by 2040. If Ireland does not deliver the Metrolink for Dublin when it gets to the planning permission comes around by Christmas of next year; the government would be sued, by all of the companies who are currently involved in building it, for loss of earnings.

I still think that the loss of earnings for not building Metrolink is still unquantified at the moment given the amount of money that is being put aside for the project. Not only is there a huge amount of money being put at risk here; there is also a huge amount of jobs on the line that will lost for people who work in the construction sector and other sectors of the economy if this project ultimately gets scrapped. Not only that; there would also be the misery of paying out massive fines which would come from the EU if ABP decides to cancel Metrolink at that point in 2024.

Let's just answer these two very basic questions for ourselves; Do we want to surround ourselves with the disasterious optics of scrapping it when we currently have a successful economy at the moment? Or will we be happy to let it slide just to allow some other inferior project become more of a priority if Metrolink gets cancelled between now and 2040?

My answer to those two questions should be that the government and the other state transport agencies should get this project to reduce this massive amount of risk upon themselves when the project goes ahead in the near future. If other transport projects were built to complement Metrolink; that would be a very good idea. However building these projects like a luas to the airport to ultimately replace Metrolink could possibly very foolish in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this "it'll never happen" crap should result in an immediate thread ban. It adds nothing to the conversation and only causes arguments. If you have no interest in discussing the project or how it is progressing, you have no business posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm scratching my head wondering where the Examiner got their 'end of 2024' date from, its just not what I'm hearing on the ground, oral hearing is expected soon. The examiner article is hysterically anti metrolink to the point of mouth frothing, a begrudging Cork tirade really. Sort of unbecoming for a broadsheet.

Some people get off on being naysayers and harbingers of doom.

I'm pretty certain it'll happen once our economy stays relatively stable.

There might be another recession around the corner with China, UK and Germany having some trouble but it will be nothing compared to 08.

Is there anyway to speed it up once it starts? Can you put a tunnel boring machine at either end or is the cost prohibitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can’t bore from the city out as all the spoil would have to be transported through the city and all the materials would have to be brought in through the city. Also probably not a practical place to actually start as it would need a large site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I personally think the construction timescale given is padded to hell. There will be three construction contracts, one involving a TBM. Another TBM would be more hindrance than help on such a short tunnel.

Rolling stock construction will also be happening at the same time. As the northern civil works contracts finish up, they should be able to start systems fit out while the TBM is still boring further south. The depot will be important, if the PPP Co get that, they may be able to able to start testing rolling stock before tunnelling is finished.

• Advertisement

Let's hope so.

I think it'll make us look like a real modern city to any business people flying in and tourists also.

It'll change the fabric of the city also. Ballymun will gentrify a good bit. I'd imagine modern apartments built next to Ballymun and Northwood stops would be very attractive to tech workers.

15 minutes to town and 5 minutes to the airport.

Advertisement