Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The skepticism on this project, isn't coming out of thin air let's he honest... its experience. I hope its built

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What experience?

Im sorry but this is bull, only two major infrastructure projects were cancelled in our recent history, Metro North and Dart Underground and they were cancelled because we got hit by a once in a lifetime recession.

Pretty much every other major infrastructure project that was given the go ahead got built.

All the intercity motorways, the two Luas lines, Luas Cross city, various Luas extensions, expanding the DART to eight carriages, WRC, Port Tunnel, M50 widening, Terminal 2, etc. etc.

We are definitely far too slow to get started, but once a project gets the go ahead, we actually have a pretty great track record of delivering projects. Specially any projects that TII are involved in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hmm, is the M20 included in that list of projects that got the nod and then the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Irish transport infrastructure tends to get built, built on time, and usually has popular support throughout the process. We have never been wealthier as a country than we are now, Metrolink has been the most detailed piece of railway planning in the history of the state, and has managed to get through ABP thus far almost entirely intact, despite our wholly inadequate planning legislation.

Barring a crash worse than 08, Metrolink will be built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100%.

Once our economy remains relatively stable, it'll definitely get built. 1 billion a year for 10 years isn't a lot.

It won't even get built by us. It'll be put out to tender so it could be built by Germans.

One thing I wonder is if most of the buses along its route will be removed?

I know London still has loads of buses but do we really need a high frequency spine to Ballymun and to the airport if we've a Metro?

Also all the buses from Swords won't be necessary as the Metro will be at least twice as fast, if not more.

Also it would be great if they could extend it to Sandyford and Donabate DART somehow.

If it could reach the M50 just past Sandyford, you have a big P&R and take loads of cars off the road.

Likewise anyone travelling from the north side or north county Dublin travelling to the south side or vice versa would just use P&R and Metro, so it would take lots of cars off the M50.

A connection with the DART in Donabate is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It depends where they’re going. I still see merit in direct buses using the port tunnel serving different parts of the city centre and complimenting the metro line. Routes may be altered to feed into the metro line rate than replicate its path

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yep and it is actually a good illustrative example. It isn't like we can't build roads, at that stage TII had been knocking out new Motorways on time and on budget for more then then ten years with ease. So the M20 shouldn't have been any different.

It is a good example as it shows it isn't engineering or planning ability we lacked, it was cancelled purely because lack of money due to the recession.

It is a real pity the recession hit when it did and not say 5 years later. A few years later and the M20, Metro North and DU would all have been well under way and might have been left to continue. The last 20 years has been a real hole in our infrastrucutre development and we were so close. I do understand the frustration.

The M20 will definitely get built also. It's actually the last major road project we need. Everything else will just be bypasses and upgrades of dangerous roads.

I know the Ringaskiddy road is being done but that's only a few kms.

Galway Ring Rd and Cork Ring Rd might never be done.

Not quite sure what Aircoach do post Metrolink, given the lionsshare of their business is ferrying folk from South Dublin to the airport, especially if ML goes 24 hrs

• Advertisement

The Copenhagen Metro is 24/7 so maybe Dublin's will be.

I guess Aircoach will find other routes, most of Dublin has no Metro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm pretty sure ML is due to run 20hrs a day.

I'd hope it would be 24/7 too.

On Aircoach/DX, I'd keep in mind that many cities that have Metro's and Rail to the airport, also have coach type services often competing on the same routes!

A lot of people like the comfort and service that these type of coach services give. A member of staff helpfully putting your bag under the bus, so you can then relax on comfy seats above and in some cases be brought almost directly to your hotel by a helpful driver. If you are a tourist who is new to a city, that can be very helpful. Versus having to drag your bags on a Metro, maybe have to stand with the luggage and squeeze in, little customer support, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be an impact and lose of customers, specially to folks living in Dublin, but I think there would still be room for coach types services, perhaps with some route adjustments and perhaps a reduction on frequency.

Thinking about it, if the Airlink 747 was still around, I'd think it would be worse impacted given it more bus like service, perhaps Metrolink played a part in the decision to withdraw this service.

Of course as mentioned above, they could also serve other parts of Dublin. Also it wouldn't impact their Cork/Belfast/Galway routes, nor their airport parking service.

Personally I think the biggest danger to Aircoach is some bad business decisions they have been making lately and the competition they face from Dublin Express/Citylink.

Overall, I know in the past there were fears by Dublin Bus drivers when the Luas was being built, but what we found is that the population is growing so quickly that these new services barely keep up and that the buses and drivers just end up getting used elsewhere. The Dublin City Bus fleet is the same or slightly larger then it was pre Luas!

In other words, a rising tide lifts all boats.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The only sensible outcome for MetroLink would to be run 24/7. The airport is close to a 24 hour operation between late arrivals and early departures, and the transatlantics are in at 5am some mornings. There are many flights in after 12am also.

"The system is capable of operating on a 24hr basis, however it is proposed the system will operate between 5.30am and 12.30am, 7 days per week." - so 19 hours a day. I guess they could change if the numbers dictate. You'd think it would operate later at weekends.

"Over 175,000 people and 250,000 jobs will be accessible to the stations by foot alone." - according to government report.

I thought it would be more than 175,000

The population along the section from Ballymun to Estuary will increase sharply once it starts construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I was going to say that the likes of the 33 would be curtailed to terminate at Estuary/Dublin Airport, but then I remembered that that will already happen with bus connects, with the 33 being replaced by the L85 to Dublin airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If it opened tomorrow 24hr operation would be more than justified. In 10 years time it'll be over capacity and serving a major hub airport

Barcelona Metro isn't 24 hours.

It's 5am to 12 weekdays. Til 2am on Friday. Then it goes all night on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Barcelona is a much older heavy rail system with continuous maintenance issues and no driverless operation. Dublin's metro will be more similar to Copenhagen.

Yeah I'm not saying it's not possible. Just comparing.

We'll have to see I guess.

The population along its route could increase 100,000 in next 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

When I was in Madrid over the summer, their metro was ~6am-2am pretty much every day. Was very handy getting home after staying out for some drinks 😅

With Swords alone that is a given. Plenty of space for expansion in Swords and to the north of Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

They will still have a share along with other bus companies. Peak time in T1 Monday to Friday is 05:00-07:00. If your only alternative to a bus is luas/rail then you will still need bus as the Luas only starts at 05:45. I would hope ancillary services such as Luas, Dart and trains at Heuston are expanded but I would say unlikely, for example first train into Heuston is 06:37 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It might not need to run 24 hours every day but ending at 12.30 is way too early especially at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

5am starting of operations isn't great for anyone hoping to catch one of the early round of flights.

Edit, fat fingers should have said isn't not is 🤦🏻‍♂️

Post edited by prunudo on

Agreed, it really should run until 3am or even all night Friday, Saturday and bank holidays Sunday.

I understand the need for maintenance, but with a new system, that should be doable Sunday to Thursday nights.

Of course Copenhagen and elsewhere figured out how to do 24/7 operations and still do maintenance, they have the ability to close sections of one side of track, so trains can continue to bypass the closed section under maintenance (at less frequency obviously). I’d hope that a brand new system would be built with this ability from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭spillit67

While I do think we are a few years behind where we should be (I think this should have started in 2021), there is some OTT criticism here.

We actually built a lot in the 2000s, it just so happened that it was 1) a car centric world and 2) our road infrastructure was miles behind the rest of the developed world.

We plugged that gap and were about to start on transport and then the **** hit the fan.

I do believe that a big mistake was not continuing with core teams advancing projects that could he picked up off the plans when needed. In reality we went back to the drawing board only when funds started to become clear.

I am also annoyed that we didn’t just continue working on Luas lines behind LXC.

We are where we are though and this will happen. What annoys me as I know like every other project that people will moan right the way through it’s construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Metro starting service at 5:30am is totally inadequate for a major international airport like Dublin. Unusually for an airport of its size, most of the aircraft based at DUB depart in the morning bank of departures because Aer Lingus and Ryanair don't overnight their European fleets at outstations. Passengers are advised to arrive at least 2h before departure which means that you can only use metro for flights departing after 7:30am. By 7:30 tomorrow morning, there will already have been 60 flight departures, this is during November which is probably the quietest month of the year for air passenger traffic. Assuming these are full 737 aircraft, that's over 200 passengers a plane or over 13k passengers a day not served by metro once completed. That equates to nearly 5m passengers a year for an airport with, what, ~25m+ passengers a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭spillit67

Aircoach will need to streamline some services.

No real need to be going through the city centre, for example.

• Advertisement

Good point.

I'm sure it's designed to be adjusted.

Advertisement