Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, that's more likely in my opinion. All part of the drive to simplify and de-risk the project.

It would be astethically pleasing if the St Stephen's Green station entrance was designed in a more traditional fashion however, to avoid a big modern glass box that jars with the Georgian hinterland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ncounties wrote: »
    It would be astethically pleasing if the St Stephen's Green station entrance was designed in a more traditional fashion however, to avoid a big modern glass box that jars with the Georgian hinterland.

Yeah, this is stuff that the concept and then design architects will probably tease out. Can't imagine that having different entrance design would cause too much problems, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd say that the engineers have designed the stations to meet the requirements of providing a metro, and very little else. Concept architects will deal with coming up with a cohesive design idea that will apply to all of the stations, and will indicate what materials to be used, what benches, even down to the colour scheme.

Or they could go down a different route and attempt to tailor each station to their environment, so the airport station could look like the terminal 2; O'Connoll St station could have exhibits on 1916; SSG looks like a park; etc.

So if the concept architect does the furniture and fittings what will the actual design architect do?

If it were me I'd keep the stations pure functional, bare concrete and exposed service conduits (it's in right now anyway). Put the spare cash into luas and DART expansion or metro2

Yeah, this is stuff that the concept and then design architects will probably tease out. Can't imagine that having different entrance design would cause too much problems, would it?

I suppose that's true, there could be some merit in Stephen's Green and Matter Stations being sort of a more classic design, perhaps Parisian style, with all the railings and tiles, make it look like it's always been there.

O'Connell St station will be underneath an entirely new shopping centre/residential scheme so so concrete box there.

cgcsb wrote: »
    I suppose that's true, there could be some merit in Stephen's Green and Matter Stations being sort of a more classic design, perhaps Parisian style, with all the railings and tiles, make it look like it's always been there.

O'Connell St station will be underneath an entirely new shopping centre/residential scheme so so concrete box there.

All for functional concrete boxes, and would have no issue with this being the case even at St. Stephen's Green. Just from a street level at least, I think it would show architectural sensitivity to have it in a Parisien or such design. Done well, I could see the signage become a tourist landmark in it's own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ncounties wrote: »
    All for functional concrete boxes, and would have no issue with this being the case even at St. Stephen's Green. Just from a street level at least, I think it would show architectural sensitivity to have it in a Parisien or such design. Done well, I could see the signage become a tourist landmark in it's own right.

Yeah the actual entrance could be in keeping with its Georgian surroundings but once past the door it would I think go back to what every other station will look like.
    I like someone’s earlier suggestion about mosaic murals that have a local relevance but I think it will be all quite uniform in look.

There should be at least some natural light in stations, through a skylight at least in the bigger stations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

cgcsb wrote: »
    So if the concept architect does the furniture and fittings what will the actual design architect do?

If it were me I'd keep the stations pure functional, bare concrete and exposed service conduits (it's in right now anyway). Put the spare cash into luas and DART expansion or metro2

Concept architect will create a look for the Metro, hopefully an icon look. They'll specify colours, materials, benches, etc.

As it happens (and perhaps this will answer your question better), this is the second Metrolink concept contract put out, with Grimshaw Architects winning the bid. It's their concept that you see in the Metrolink docs that have been released so far, with IDOM, the Spanish engineering company interpeting that concept.

So I guess that there isn't a design architect, there's just the concept architect, and then the engineers use that to design up the stations. This contract must be for a more indepth concept than the last one.

I'd be utterly shocked if Grimshaw didn't win this contract as well. You can see more of their Rail and Mass transit work here, and I have to admit, they do some great designs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Concept architect will create a look for the Metro, hopefully an icon look. They'll specify colours, materials, benches, etc.

Whoever did the design look for Dublin Bus did a great job. The current DB colour scheme looks very good and is consistent. It is much better than any previous scheme from the green 'flying snail' logo, the beige look, etc.

Hopefully the Metrolink design will be a strong identifier with bold Dublin City themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I’d like to think that the airport station would look impressive as it would be one of the first places visitors to the country would see, almond with having one or two stations in the city centre with a bit of an extra look to them.

Nothing outrageous but it should be looked upon as money invested in the city/country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Whoever did the design look for Dublin Bus did a great job. The current DB colour scheme looks very good and is consistent. It is much better than any previous scheme from the green 'flying snail' logo, the beige look, etc.
    Hopefully the Metrolink design will be a strong identifier with bold Dublin City themes.

Agreed, their current branding is very good. Their logo use on bus stops is very strong and unique, just a pity that it'll be replaced by a very generic icon that looks like a piece of clip art.

Whatever about the company who gets the architect concept job I sincerely hope a local firm gets the actually branding and wayfinding design gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

I'd say that the engineers have designed the stations to meet the requirements of providing a metro, and very little else. Concept architects will deal with coming up with a cohesive design idea that will apply to all of the stations, and will indicate what materials to be used, what benches, even down to the colour scheme.

Or they could go down a different route and attempt to tailor each station to their environment, so the airport station could look like the terminal 2; O'Connoll St station could have exhibits on 1916; SSG looks like a park; etc.

Could they decide to give the station walls over to artists? Im thinking of something like the Marseille metro. The art on it was mostly horrendous but I think it would be nice to leverage some Irish/Celtic/urban art in the stations rather than just having them be dull and globalised (Like Tokyo or Osaka or something). If we are investing billions in a project, why not make it our own.

I like the idea of having a sort of competition for local artists to come up with a design. Probably a lot cheaper than an architect anyway

madbeanman wrote: »
    Could they decide to give the station walls over to artists? Im thinking of something like the Marseille metro. The art on it was mostly horrendous but I think it would be nice to leverage some Irish/Celtic/urban art in the stations rather than just having them be dull and globalised (Like Tokyo or Osaka or something). If we are investing billions in a project, why not make it our own.

Oh no, I'd prefer we keep the "artists" away from it. I can just see it now, broken glass mosaics, or childrens "art" which is reminisicent of Aldi's reuseable bags...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

As for metro art, I have a soft spot for the Stockholm metro. Colorful but simple and painted by local artists. Well worth checking out when up north. https://www.visitstockholm.com/art-in-the-subway/stations/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

paddar wrote: »
    As for metro art, I have a soft spot for the Stockholm metro. Colorful but simple and painted by local artists. Well worth checking out when up north. https://www.visitstockholm.com/art-in-the-subway/stations/

+1, something like this will work well with projects like Dublin Canvas which is slowly becoming one of the Dublin attractions

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The tile mosaics in Lisbons Metro stations is pretty spectacular too.

https://www.timetravelturtle.com/lisbon-metro-art-portugal/

Lisbon-2018-ip-323_new.jpg

metro-lisbona.jpg

Of course Lisbon is super impressive, they have detailed tile mosaics on the footpaths all over the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

itll all be bare concrete here, something will have to pay for the outrageous salary and pensions!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    itll all be bare concrete here, something will have to pay for the outrageous salary and pensions!

Industrial sheik is so hot right now. When styles change get a few coloured thows down. Fabulous dahling.

That Stockholm one is particularly gorgeous. It really seems distinctly Scandinavian.

I definitely think that you could do so much with what we have. If you wanted to lean into Oirishness you could make it all Celtic. If you wanted it to be more representative of Dublin then it could perhaps tell the story of Dublin. Station X takes on a particular theme relevant to the local area (like was suggested on the previous page; 1916 stuff in the O’Connell station or park themed stuff in the St. Stephen’s Green station)

I do also like the idea of the Dublin canvas peeps getting on board. Many of those designs do brighten up the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I couldn't care less if they left the walls as bare concrete once everything is functional. Just build the bloody thing, plenty of time to add fluff after.

Agreed, we're a long way off looking at colour pallets. We're not even mortgage approved at this stage

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I couldn't care less if they left the walls as bare concrete once everything is functional. Just build the bloody thing, plenty of time to add fluff after.

I mean the second sentence goes without saying. But you can be strategic about these things. Maybe someone who would be likely to say no to works near their house can be persuaded if the thing is made to look a bit prettier than a concrete box, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Considering they've opted for the highly unconventional single bore just to save a few quid (which it probably won't), I'm expecting a very basic design. I mean look at our existing railways, its all very basic.

If we end up with something like the Copenhagen Metro which is simple but sleek and efficient, I'll be a happy boy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Considering they've opted for the highly unconventional single bore just to save a few quid (which it probably won't), I'm expecting a very basic design. I mean look at our existing railways, its all very basic.

If we end up with something like the Copenhagen Metro which is simple but sleek and efficient, I'll be a happy boy.

I kind of feel that the engineering decisions partly are about reducing cost, but have more to do with reducing objections. As was said above, if it is well decorated, it might help reduce objections that an ugly box would receive.

I also have to say that such design shouldn't require cost much, not in the scheme of a Metro project. You can still have your basic, cheap station box, it is just a matter of how you light it, how you paint the walls, etc.

Either way you need to paint the walls, etc. Will it really cost that much extra to paint an interesting colour scheme?

And in the Stockholm example it is often just painted bare rock, which is probably actually cheaper then having to cover and finish the rock. It probably saved them money!

I have to say Dublin Canvas has done a magnificent job in turning crappy old utility boxes into a lovely, bright and interesting part of our city. And this cost the city almost feck all. They are painted by volunteers who get painting supplies and just €150 in expenses!

I think it is important to remember that lots of people actually live in the city. The city is actually their home, that it isn't just offices that people drive and take public transport into every day and that the people who live in the city (and many commuters) too, don't just want drab gray boxes, you want some life in the city.

I'd also say that I would have thought we had learned our lesson that we need to make public transport bright, attractive, even fun if you want to attract people to use it. Dublin Bus has done a great job in replacing damp, dark, old buses with new, bright, well light, modern buses which certainly feel more welcoming.

Sure there is more to it, like make sure buses are well maintained and reliable. But I thought we had finally gotten away from this utilitarian view of public transport and learned the importance of making sure it looks well maintained, clean, painted, fresh, attractive, welcoming, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bk wrote: »
    Either way you need to paint the walls, etc. Will it really cost that much extra to paint an interesting colour scheme?

Would agree with this and hope we dont end up with a chain of uniform stations all painted and looking the same. Its not really going to cost a whole lot extra to put a bit of interior design on it the way Stockholm has done. At the end of the day these stations are a new part of the public realm so hopefully they put a bit of thought into it rather than just leaving bare concrete or slapping on thousands of litres of Dulux Magnolia.

Id also hope billboard advertising isnt as ubquitious as it is on the Tube with the entire platorms length and all along the escalators dedicated to selling you crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You don't *need* to paint the concrete tbf. My absolute favourite subway station design is the Washington DC Metro stations. Pure brutalist beauty imo:

shutterstock_127965860.0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Also, the hallways of the Aviva stadium are a great example of how you can keep exposed concrete and have a nice looking design.

MJohnston wrote: »
    You don't *need* to paint the concrete tbf. My absolute favourite subway station design is the Washington DC Metro stations. Pure brutalist beauty imo:

DC Metro is lovely.

Even different lighting in stations could create an iconic look.

• Advertisement

I don’t think that Washington Station says anything about Washington though? Unless it’s supposed to tell you that Washington is a brutalist hellscape (not that hellscapes aren’t architecturally interesting. I mean hellscape in its most positive sense because that pic does look cool.)

I think though that a metro should belong to the people. Like God bless that Copenhagen mess but that’s exactly what I don’t want it to be. (Again I’m not gonna protest about it. I’ll be happy with a well run service that isn’t overly gimped by middle class people who can’t tolerate a tiny bit of disruption to their lives for the sake of making people’s lives in the most populated part of the county better.)

Make it belong to Ireland or belong to Dublin. Totally agree with not having it overrun by ads either.

Advertisement