Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

A Luas to Blessington? BLESSINGTON?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Luas to Booterstown????

Did I read that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Qrt wrote: »
    A Luas to Blessington? BLESSINGTON?

Only 1 hour 45 minutes standing to the city.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Luases to Blessington, Booterstown and Hazelhatch (??) seem to be politicians ideas they invented on the toilet some morning that have no basis in reality. Hazelhatch has a 4 line railway, Blessington is in the countryside and Booterstown has a railway. Where are these lines going?

This kind of uninformed, populist crayonism will lead to derailment of major projects and mean we end up with nothing at all.

It is not feasible to build multiple lines at once for various reasons. We need to learn to walk before we learn to run

marno21 wrote: »
    Luases to Blessington, Booterstown and Hazelhatch (??) seem to be politicians ideas they invented on the toilet some morning that have no basis in reality. Hazelhatch has a 4 line railway, Blessington is in the countryside and Booterstown has a railway. Where are these lines going?

This kind of uninformed, populist crayonism will lead to derailment of major projects and mean we end up with nothing at all.

It is not feasible to build multiple lines at once for various reasons. We need to learn to walk before we learn to run

Vote green luas and metro for all, except people in Ryan’s constituency who get nothing but what they already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Folks there will not be any metro built in Dublin in the next decade. Metro talk is the preserve of politicians during an economic boom, but fast forward to next year when Britain has bombed out of the EU, its economy is in recession and the ESRI has dramatically dropped their already meagre growth predictions for the Irish fiscal year ahead.

Britain's economic output is already at a 7 year low and that's BEFORE a hard no deal brexit. Throw in the fact that manufacturing output in the states has stalled in recent months plus Germany is sliding into a recession.

Any talk of any metro projects which would cost billions in the context of an impending global downturn is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Dustin’s “Dart to Dingle” campaign doesn’t seem as far fetched any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

I fully support an SW line and a line to UCD makes sense also. Both are very viable and ultimately should be part of the transport plans in the city.

However, we need to get Metrolink 1 completed before we think about the possibilities down the line. Common sense tells anyone that it will be a great success and that once it is built, other lines will ultimately follow.

I fully support an SW line and a line to UCD makes sense also. Both are very viable and ultimately should be part of the transport plans in the city.

However, we need to get Metrolink 1 completed before we think about the possibilities down the line. Common sense tells anyone that it will be a great success and that once it is built, other lines will ultimately follow.

Not sure UCD makes much sense tbh, if it was picked up on a particular route that would be good but it’s not enough of a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

List of members of this 'assembly' is found here:

https://emra.ie/members-list/

They are:

Daryl Barron Dublin City Council FF
    Joe Costello Dublin City Council Lab
    Mary Freehill Dublin City Council Lab
    Lawrence Hemmings Dublin City Council Green
    Deirdre Heney Dublin City Council FF
    Vincent Jackson Dublin City Council Ind
    Dermot Lacey Dublin City Council Lab
    Larry O’Toole Dublin City Council SF
    Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FG
    Kate Feeney Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FF
    Mary Hanafin Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FF
    Peter O’Brien Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council Lab
    Barry Ward Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FG
    David Healy Fingal County Council Green
    Brigid Manton Fingal County Council FF
    Robert O’Donoghue Fingal County Council Lab
    Fintan Brett Kildare County Council FG
    Padraig McEvoy Kildare County Council Ind
    Robert Power Kildare County Council FF
    Catherine Fitzgerald Laois County Council FF
    Aisling Moran Laois County Council FG
    John Browne Longford County Council FG
    Micheál Carrigy Longford County Council FG
    Emma Coffey Louth County Council FF
    Conor Keelan Louth County Council FF
    Brian Fitzgerald Meath County Council Ind
    Paddy Meade Meath County Council FG
    Conor Tormey Meath County Council FF
    Eamon Dooley Offaly County Council FF
    Eddie Fitzpatrick Offaly County Council FF
    Tony McCormack Offaly County Council FF
    Francis Duffy South Dublin County Council Green
    Cathal King South Dublin County Council SF
    William Priestley South Dublin County Council Green
    Paddy Hill Westmeath County Council FF
    Aengus O’Rourke Westmeath County Council FF
    Avril Cronin Wicklow County Council FG
    Steven Matthews Wicklow County Council Green
    Gerry Walsh Wicklow County Council FF
    Irene Winters Wicklow County Council FG

Would suggest you find your local councillor and point out the magical stupidity of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

donvito99 wrote: »
    List of members of this 'assembly' is found here:

https://emra.ie/members-list/

They are:

Daryl Barron Dublin City Council FF
    Joe Costello Dublin City Council Lab
    Mary Freehill Dublin City Council Lab
    Lawrence Hemmings Dublin City Council Green
    Deirdre Heney Dublin City Council FF
    Vincent Jackson Dublin City Council Ind
    Dermot Lacey Dublin City Council Lab
    Larry O’Toole Dublin City Council SF
    Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FG
    Kate Feeney Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FF
    Mary Hanafin Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FF
    Peter O’Brien Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council Lab
    Barry Ward Dun Laghaoire Rathdown County Council FG
    David Healy Fingal County Council Green
    Brigid Manton Fingal County Council FF
    Robert O’Donoghue Fingal County Council Lab
    Fintan Brett Kildare County Council FG
    Padraig McEvoy Kildare County Council Ind
    Robert Power Kildare County Council FF
    Catherine Fitzgerald Laois County Council FF
    Aisling Moran Laois County Council FG
    John Browne Longford County Council FG
    Micheál Carrigy Longford County Council FG
    Emma Coffey Louth County Council FF
    Conor Keelan Louth County Council FF
    Brian Fitzgerald Meath County Council Ind
    Paddy Meade Meath County Council FG
    Conor Tormey Meath County Council FF
    Eamon Dooley Offaly County Council FF
    Eddie Fitzpatrick Offaly County Council FF
    Tony McCormack Offaly County Council FF
    Francis Duffy South Dublin County Council Green
    Cathal King South Dublin County Council SF
    William Priestley South Dublin County Council Green
    Paddy Hill Westmeath County Council FF
    Aengus O’Rourke Westmeath County Council FF
    Avril Cronin Wicklow County Council FG
    Steven Matthews Wicklow County Council Green
    Gerry Walsh Wicklow County Council FF
    Irene Winters Wicklow County Council FG

Would suggest you find your local councillor and point out the magical stupidity of this.

Ah, looking at the party demographics there really clears up why this was so stupid.

Pretty sure Francis Duffy is the one who did the crayon drawing that the greens had out before the local elections.

salmocab wrote: »
    Pretty sure Francis Duffy is the one who did the crayon drawing that the greens had out before the local elections.

Was this the Luas from Tallaght to Booterstown via Dundrum or Sandyford or something?

Great idea, once we actually have reliable city centre connections first.

Was this the Luas from Tallaght to Booterstown via Dundrum or Sandyford or something?

Great idea, once we actually have reliable city centre connections first.

Yep it wasn’t in itself a bad idea although he put little to no thought into the exact routes just into the general. He also obviously used not disturbing the green luas as a start point for political reasons. Really it was nothing more than a quick scribble and was way too reaching for anything we’re likely to see in the next 50 years. It also only seemed to be for the south side for some reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

salmocab wrote: »

Yes, he's the one that pushed this joke.

82CU4uPl.jpg

Does absolutely nothing to relieve the pressure on the green line, and essentially stops the Luas to Bray extension.

Serves UCD, which sits on the best Bus Corridor in the city, with the vast amount of journeys there already on public transport.

The Knocklyon one I can understand, and I think that we should definitely look at a second metro going out there, but get the North/South alignment done first.

The orbital Luas is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Although the number proposed branches off Metro North Link are rediculous, I don't think you can say that a piece of orbital infrastructure is in itself ridiculous.

Orbital infrastructure would reduce the need for people to use infrastructure into and out of the town (which reduces available capacity), to get to their intended destination. The reduction in time would also lead to a greater conversion of existing car users.

However, that being said, you need the aforementioned infrastructure into and out of town in the first place! So the prioritisation of orbital projects, before the spokes of a network are completed, is ridiculous.

CatInABox wrote: »

82CU4uPl.jpg

Does absolutely nothing to relieve the pressure on the green line, and essentially stops the Luas to Bray extension.

Serves UCD, which sits on the best Bus Corridor in the city, with the vast amount of journeys there already on public transport.

The Knocklyon one I can understand, and I think that we should definitely look at a second metro going out there, but get the North/South alignment done first.

An orbital route would be brilliant but only after everything else is sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

82CU4uPl.jpg

Nice to see that the city starts at the Liffy :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

An orbital route would be great, but a Luas isn't needed there, and won't be needed for at least 30 years. Build a high quality, frequent bus corridor along that route, something which could be done in a couple of years, and then when the time comes where the population density increases enough to support the Luas, upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

ncounties wrote: »
    Orbital infrastructure would reduce the need for people to use infrastructure into and out of the town (which reduces available capacity), to get to their intended destination. The reduction in time would also lead to a greater conversion of existing car users.
    It should be WAY down the list of priorities. And rail should be the last option considered.

The demand for orbital journeys is generally lower than radial - certainly in the case of Dublin but also in most cities of comparable size as the densities are lower further from the core.

Also more than half of the journeys on a fully orbital route would be longer than directly traversing through the core. By the rules of simple geometry you could build nearly 2 radial routes going through the core with same length of track for a fully orbital route.

And for an orbital route to be effective at all, it needs to be fairly far out, which means long distances. So overall longer distances and fewer passengers will strain the cost/benefit case for a rail based orbital route.

For good reason, in all the European cities of comparable size to Dublin where I've used public transport, true orbital routes are generally served by buses (or trolley busses). The good reason being, of course, that they don't hand a box of crayons to a bunch of local councillors to design PT infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

I think the original Metro West is a great idea. Indeed, I think multiple Luas lines across the city would be great eventually.

However, step one is getting Metrolink built. Then by the early-mid 2040s (i know), it would be great if we had an SW line and a line to UCD. I would love something akin to Metro West and the Dart Underground completed also in the next 25-30 years.

I do think that metro 1 will be a great success and it will re-invent pùblic transport in Dublin leading to a clamour for more lines. We will also be hit in the pocket for our greenhouse emissions and the politicians will have to respond to this.

82CU4uPl.jpg

The idea of even proposing a metro to Knocklyon without bringing it to Tallaght is insane. It’s not like Tallaght is greatly served by the Luas in the first place (okay it is but it’s hardly comprehensive).

Hopefully this turns into Ireland’s habit of ignoring planning guidelines – because this is definitely a case where it should.

The idea of even proposing a metro to Knocklyon without bringing it to Tallaght is insane. It’s not like Tallaght is greatly served by the Luas in the first place (okay it is but it’s hardly comprehensive).

Hopefully this turns into Ireland’s habit of ignoring planning guidelines – because this is definitely a case where it should.

Think the lad with the crayons is based in Knocklyon so he probably didn’t need to think beyond the parish, it was mainly drawn to justify Ryan’s anti metro stance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

This is a very good point! If a metro line was to go to Knocklyon, it would be so close to Tallaght that it would make sense to extend it a little bit further, especially considering Tallaght is a major employment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

An orbital route would be great, but a Luas isn't needed there, and won't be needed for at least 30 years. Build a high quality, frequent bus corridor along that route, something which could be done in a couple of years, and then when the time comes where the population density increases enough to support the Luas, upgrade.

I wouldn't say an orbital Luas, or even Metro West, would be crazy to introduce in the near future, but I would say that a fast, frequent and reliable orbital bus service(with the option to convert it to Luas at any time)would be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Why is it left to Murphy to fight for Metrolink, Ross missing in action? He has absolutely no interest in transport whatsoever, the sooner he is gone the better. Fair play to Murphy for taking on shortsighted local government on this and planning/density, I know that he is unpopular now but we will benefit from his actions for many years to come. I'd be interested to see what he could get done if he was in transport.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Why is it left to Murphy to fight for Metrolink, Ross missing in action? He has absolutely no interest in transport whatsoever, the sooner he is gone the better. Fair play to Murphy for taking on shortsighted local government on this and planning/density, I know that he is unpopular now but we will benefit from his actions for many years to come. I'd be interested to see what he could get done if he was in transport.

I don’t think anyone would do much as transport minister, our system allows too much tinkering and agendas to be pushed through within government. Everyone is out for their own lot and couldn’t give a fig about commuters/victims of crime or the sick so long as they get votes from their constituents.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

In fairness, I’m the last person to defend Shane Ross, but this is a planning issue and Murphy is the Minister for Planning. It is his brief

Murphy is the minister for Local Government, so he'd be the guy that has to deal with councils and such. You're right though, he's actually not bad, it's a bit of a poisoned chalice being the housing minister during a crisis that requires years to solve.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    In fairness, I’m the last person to defend Shane Ross, but this is a planning issue and Murphy is the Minister for Planning. It is his brief

Huh. I had just read his brief, and the "Planning" part of "Housing, Planning and Local Government" didn't register at all :o:o:o

Advertisement