Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

MJohnston wrote: »
    They now have a venue at 3 separate potential Metro stations!

Just need nine more, and the 12 pubs of Christmas will be sorted for December 2027.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ncounties wrote: »
    Just need nine more, and the 12 pubs of Christmas will be sorted for December 2027.

Working in Sandyford, we used to do Santa's Sleigh Ride. You get on the Luas, then at every station, you get off and have a pint in the nearest pub, then get back on the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Another one who ducks in and out. Waiting for growth to slow a little more , so they have the excuse to replace a line that 50,000,000 or more a year would use, with a fcuking greenway half way to the city centre , at which stage you can hop onto one of the glacial busses or just continue walking or cycling ! Extremely environmentally friendly and most importantly, extremely cheap compared to a metro ...

I think ff would be more likely to actually deliver something of this scale than fg. I was on the luas at six pm yesterday heading out to Dundrum. ( once in a blue moon trip ) The amount of people that couldn’t get on it , was a joke !

I pay a fifty percent marginal tax rate and what do I get for it in this kip ? A farce of a transport and health system. Law and order a joke. Housing a joke. At least we have a world class welfare system , of which I’ve never claimed a red cent from. Happy to totally starve other areas of expenditure to feed that whale in the room !

The council morons put a cap on 32,000,000 passengers a year at Dublin airport over concerns about traffic congestion , it’s now over this figure, so daa trying to exclude transfer passengers who obviously don’t travel by road to buy more time. There are roughly 2,000,000 of these passengers. I don’t suppose the council ever considered constructing adequate roads and junctions to serve a major airport ? Maybe a metro ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Another one who ducks in and out. Waiting for growth to slow a little more , so they have the excuse to replace a line that 50,000,000 or more a year would use, with a fcuking greenway half way to the city centre , at which stage you can hop onto one of the glacial busses or just continue walking or cycling ! Extremely environmentally friendly and most importantly, extremely cheap compared to a metro ...

They're not "waiting" for anything. I'm sure they would love to put shovels in the ground tomorrow, but even with lengthy, well advertised consultation periods on the emerging preferred route and the proposed route you still have a loud cohort bemoaning the lack of consultation and the damage it is doing. And they are given huge media presence.

We get what we deserve.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They're not "waiting" for anything. I'm sure they would love to put shovels in the ground tomorrow, but even with lengthy, well advertised consultation periods on the emerging preferred route and the proposed route you still have a loud cohort bemoaning the lack of consultation and the damage it is doing. And they are given huge media presence.

We get what we deserve.

I dont accept this! there should be a very limited public consultation, all of this bull**** is on spineless politicians mostly!

this crap just goes around and around in circles! they could have a decade long public consultation here and it there'd still be complaints!

basically the entire cities transport plans are constantly changing, diluted down and messed up. Because some useless politicians, are scared of nimby voting? and as far as the public at large are concerned, would simply be replaced by another clone of these useless fools?

you cant make an omelette without breaking an egg. FG are going to probably be propping up FF next time, not because they didnt overhaul loads of areas like they said they would, but rather due to a total lack of action on anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I think ff would be more likely to actually deliver something of this scale than fg. I was on the luas at six pm yesterday heading out to Dundrum. ( once in a blue moon trip ) The amount of people that couldn’t get on it , was a joke !

I pay a fifty percent marginal tax rate and what do I get for it in this kip ? A farce of a transport and health system. Law and order a joke. Housing a joke. At least we have a world class welfare system , of which I’ve never claimed a red cent from. Happy to totally starve other areas of expenditure to feed that whale in the room !

The council morons put a cap on 32,000,000 passengers a year at Dublin airport over concerns about traffic congestion , it’s now over this figure, so daa trying to exclude transfer passengers who obviously don’t travel by road to buy more time. There are roughly 2,000,000 of these passengers. I don’t suppose the council ever considered constructing adequate roads and junctions to serve a major airport ? Maybe a metro ...

I live in Swords and since early this month I've had to switch to an earlier bus to get into work on time. 9 out of 10 Days I was getting a 7.45 bus and stepping off it at 9.10 to 9.20 in Merrion Square. Plus another 10 minute walk to work. That's one bus, "express," no change overs, using the tunnel.
    Effectively 90 minutes to get to work and a couple of days it was closer to 2 hours. That's an approx 20km trip.

It's madness and it seriously eats into work life balance. Its about 1 hour 20mins most evenings on the return leg.

The traffic is horrendous and looking around its as much bus/coach congestion as it is private cars.

That is insane uriel, I take it that driving is out as you would have to pay for parking?

I live out in rathcoole, it takes the bus over an hour to get into the city centre off peak (for what 15km) after its tour of west dublin, I just drive to redcow luas if going into town. Then there was a meeting about the congestion in rathcoole village yesterday, that has been the case for years and that minor changes at a roundabout can solve.

The fact that the game changer project here might be decades away, and even with issues they have known about for years, that are very easy and cheap, they still havent taken action, tell's you everything you need to know!

So much for all their rubbish talk and waffle on climate change etc, maybe getting people out of cars and onto semi decent public transport might be an idea? that will obviously have to be bus based in the short term!

Here is another joke, I mean this really takes the biscuit! I have a mate, who is in college in Dublin 8, lives in family home in Shankill, it takes her an hour and a half to get to college on public transport, she is now looking at simply renting beside the college! You couldnt dream up this banana republic, they should use this countries in studies of how not to do things! Now if dart underground were there, that trip would be ok. Dart underground and dublinmetro were needed twenty years ago, fingers crossed we might have one of them in twenty years!

with the insane construction inflation are those morons now claiming shelving metro north was the correct option? metrolink might offer some advantages, but do you know what? Id take a half built metro north now, than the wheel reinvented again! I'm surprised they dont have a public consultation for pets in the effected areas too, get their input aswell, why stop at humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

That is insane uriel, I take it that driving is out as you would have to pay for parking?

I live out in rathcoole, it takes the bus over an hour to get into the city centre off peak (for what 15km) after its tour of west dublin, I just drive to redcow luas if going into town. Then there was a meeting about the congestion in rathcoole village yesterday, that has been the case for years and that minor changes at a roundabout can solve.

The fact that the game changer project here might be decades away, and even with issues they have known about for years, that are very easy and cheap, they still havent taken action, tell's you everything you need to know!

So much for all their rubbish talk and waffle on climate change etc, maybe getting people out of cars and onto semi decent public transport might be an idea? that will obviously have to be bus based in the short term!

Here is another joke, I mean this really takes the biscuit! I have a mate, who is in college in Dublin 8, lives in family home in Shankill, it takes her an hour and a half to get to college on public transport, she is now looking at simply renting beside the college! You couldnt dream up this banana republic, they should use this countries in studies of how not to do things! Now if dart underground were there, that trip would be ok. Dart underground and dublinmetro were needed twenty years ago, fingers crossed we might have one of them in twenty years!

with the insane construction inflation are those morons now claiming shelving metro north was the correct option? metrolink might offer some advantages, but do you know what? Id take a half built metro north now, than the wheel reinvented again! I'm surprised they dont have a public consultation for pets in the effected areas too, get their input aswell, why stop at humans?

I could get parking in work for free for a max of three days a week. So I'd still be paying bus fares for the balance. But we're also a one car family and altho neither of us uses car for our commutes, my wife does need the car at home most days unfortunately

Uriel. wrote: »
    I could get parking in work for free for a max of three days a week. So I'd still be paying bus fares for the balance. But we're also a one car family and altho neither of us uses car for our commutes, my wife does need the car at home most days unfortunately

you can get electric cars now for 6-7k, original leaf etc, might work if you have a house. I dont know what commuting time would be, or if your work offer flexitime so that you could avoid peak traffic. But two hours commutes for that relatively short distance, just beggars belief!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I live in Swords and since early this month I've had to switch to an earlier bus to get into work on time. 9 out of 10 Days I was getting a 7.45 bus and stepping off it at 9.10 to 9.20 in Merrion Square. Plus another 10 minute walk to work. That's one bus, "express," no change overs, using the tunnel.
    Effectively 90 minutes to get to work and a couple of days it was closer to 2 hours. That's an approx 20km trip.

It's madness and it seriously eats into work life balance. Its about 1 hour 20mins most evenings on the return leg.

The traffic is horrendous and looking around its as much bus/coach congestion as it is private cars.

Don't worry Uriel. It won't be long before the next downturn, a rise in unemployment and less traffic on the roads. Between 2009 and 2014, these aspects were not worth discussing. Over the last couple of years we are back to the same BS that was discussed here back in the Celtic Tiger days. Transport, health, housing. In terms of transport, Ireland just staggers it's way through good and bad times like a drunk on the streets who goes from sober to pissed day in day out.

Grandeeod you are right that for the politicians it reduces the pressure to do something, during a downturn, as traffic eases. But it still leaves us with a disgraceful public transport during the downturn, increased prices IF, IF they every build this project, when the geniuses go tendering, during a construction boom and a ton of other negatives I can think of. I know I am preaching to the choir!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Last Stop wrote: »

Interesting, if odd, to see a hotel chain posting about this! Obviously they'd be huge benefactors of Metrolink, but it's also great to see them doing a small bit of activism in favour of it.

you can get electric cars now for 6-7k, original leaf etc, might work if you have a house. I dont know what commuting time would be, or if your work offer flexitime so that you could avoid peak traffic. But two hours commutes for that relatively short distance, just beggars belief!

Yeah night be an option. No flexitime I'm afraid. First child due soon and I'm getting more wary of the situation. Not sure what the car commute might be like. I might do a trial run over next couple of weeks.

Yeah night be an option. No flexitime I'm afraid. First child due soon and I'm getting more wary of the situation. Not sure what the car commute might be like. I might do a trial run over next couple of weeks.

I would defo do a trial run!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dont accept this! there should be a very limited public consultation, all of this bull**** is on spineless politicians mostly!

this crap just goes around and around in circles! they could have a decade long public consultation here and it there'd still be complaints!

basically the entire cities transport plans are constantly changing, diluted down and messed up. Because some useless politicians, are scared of nimby voting? and as far as the public at large are concerned, would simply be replaced by another clone of these useless fools?

you cant make an omelette without breaking an egg. FG are going to probably be propping up FF next time, not because they didnt overhaul loads of areas like they said they would, but rather due to a total lack of action on anything!

I would suggest that ultimately it is pointless complaining that politicians lack backbone when an equally plausible scenario under your suggestion is that the ridiculous furore around the project does in fact lead to misinformed NIMBY voting and an alternative govt gets in and just cancels the plan and starts afresh ad infinitum.

There is a level of consultation required by law for one. Getting a project done properly is also another good goal - there have been many chances to the route (and a huge number of changes to Bus Connects) off the back of public consultation. Ultimately however I would direct your ire a lot more to those who only project forth problems and never solutions and those who enable them. The newspapers in Ireland being particularly guilty of the latter and happily profiting of it as they do.

I agree about the papers, they have an obvious vested interest in spouting bull**** and the equivalent of clickbait with effective "clickbait" headlines on the hard copies...

The country is just totally stuck due to total endless paralysis, no leadership...

Put it this way, Im in I mid thirties, it doesnt take that long to figure out how this country operates. If they actually every want to get everything done here, they should know that mostly the public, dont have a bloody clue about matters such as planning etc and you wouldnt get five people in a room here to agree on the time, never mind anything else!

I dont mind public consultation, I have an issue with the irish version of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Can we get a new thread for all the whining about politicians and chatting about individual commutes? Every couple of weeks this and other threads here descend into this and any initial relevance to the thread is quickly lost to the type of thing you hear on LiveLine.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Can we get a new thread for all the whining about politicians and chatting about individual commutes? Every couple of weeks this and other threads here descend into this and any initial relevance to the thread is quickly lost to the type of thing you hear on LiveLine.

Don’t be ridiculous, you’d never hear this discuss led on lifeline. Do you know what you’d have discussed on liveline? Mary from ranelagh having to make a slight detour in her suv, due to a crossing being closed. You know what you wouldn’t head on it , a order multi billion project being botched to facilitate this !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I think ff would be more likely to actually deliver something of this scale than fg.

What's FF's policy on Metrolink? Presumably they're in favour, considering they're supporting the govt.

Can't see how a change from Tweedle Dumb to Tweedle Dumber would speed up delivery, especially considering FF's voter base is more rural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

D.L.R. wrote: »
    What's FF's policy on Metrolink? Presumably they're in favour, considering they're supporting the govt.

Can't see how a change from Tweedle Dumb to Tweedle Dumber would speed up delivery, especially considering FF's voter base is more rural.

FF are the party of no. They've position on MN and BC is no because FG are a yes

FF are the party of no. They've position on MN and BC is no because FG are a yes

I think, THINK it was the FG morons that didnt get even enabling works underway on DU and decided to reinvent the wheel with metrolink... Metronorth had planning, it actually had planning permission in this country, low and behold and they go and reinvent the wheel :rolleyes:

well its mostly the FG voters in Dublin 6 primarily that have resulted in this latest farce! I wouldnt say FG voters in dublin are necessarily pro public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I think, THINK it was the FG morons that didnt get even enabling works underway on DU and decided to reinvent the wheel with metrolink... Metronorth had planning, it actually had planning permission in this country, low and behold and they go and reinvent the wheel :rolleyes:

well its mostly the FG voters in Dublin 6 primarily that have resulted in this latest farce! I wouldnt say FG voters in dublin are necessarily pro public transport!

They're as bad as each other. Both want their project to be built. Both afraid to break any eggs and thus we still have no omelette

the figure of say 3 billion or thereabouts that is quoted, a large amount of money! But what is the actual ultimate cost to the exchequer? a huge amount of that goes back into government coffers, the company will likely pay 12.5% on any profits, I have heard that with large projects like this, margins are razor thin, if they dont turn out to be lossmaking. Im not even accounting for all the benefits a metro would bring. But isnt the figure of 3 billion, a very convenient one to run with for the media and the local nimby idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don’t think any company here pays 12.5% on their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Can the thread be closed until something relating to Metrolink happens? We've had several pages of nonsense which those looking for updates have to wade through in case there is something of relevance.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Can the thread be closed until something relating to Metrolink happens? We've had several pages of nonsense which those looking for updates have to wade through in case there is something of relevance.

good shout. Ill check back in six to twelve months so! expect the update that it will be shelved again...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've been worried what impact Brexit might have on Metrolink and other various infrastructure projects that are in the works right now, so here's a nice quote from Varadkar on his spending plans next year:
    Mr Varadkar also confirmed that the Government intended increasing spending on public construction projects by €900 million next year.

“It will happen, [Brexit] deal or no deal,” he added, referring to fears that the Government will rein in spending if the UK crashes out of the EU without an agreement at the end of this month.

It's nice to see it, even if the word of a politician isn't worth loads.

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Varadkar's words aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Advertisement