Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options
1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No need to replace the track. You just need to close at-grade crossings and change the platforms (higher, automated barriers for automated Metro trains)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 OisinCooke

Other options as in other alignments for the metro through the south side? Surely the Green Line is the easiest and by far the cheapest option…?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I believe it will be both a metro depot and a Luas depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

nope.
    New power systems have to be installed also.

Can you link to where it says a 9 month closure to get:

The tie In done

All station heights changed

All new electrical substations and OHL converted to metro standard.

Fitting of barrier doors on platforms due to driverless trains.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would have thought that the power could be done in advance of the conversion.

How?
    Luas uses one power system, metro another.
    You can’t run a luas on a metro voltage and vice versa- hence a closure needed to change out switch gear substations possibly OHL etc.

This has been discussed before on here or one of the other metrolink threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's so nuts to me that a Metrolink going to Sandyford will completely bypass Ranelagh when it is one of the biggest trip generators on the route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it is a function of how it has to come back above ground. Anyway, going one stop on the Luas to get a metro is not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 OisinCooke

I think it refers to a 9 month closure for the whole line south of Ranelagh, the tie in would take much longer to compete but the line south of Beechwood could continue operating while this is happening whereas when the platform heights need to be raised, power systems and signalling upgraded etc, the whole line will need closure.

Also agree wholeheartedly with this, it seems a bit silly that it’s the one stop on the line not being given a metro stop, however I think the metro is only expected to come above ground between Ranelagh and Beechwood according to the most recent report, due to minimising impact on housing. The Green Line would then elevate above the metro and both would have an interchange station at Beechwood, the metro one where the current Luas one is and the Luas one on the western side of the road. I’ve seen a separate detailed report on only this a while ago which explains everything but I can’t find it now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Thanks for that explanation. The map in this post must be out of date then, as I couldn't get it to reconcile with the latest tie-in plan.

So here is my understanding of the situation :

Charlemont: Existing Luas elevated, future Metrolink underground

Ranelagh: Existing Luas elevated, Metrolink tunnelled underneath but no station

Beechwood: Existing Luas moved north, at-grade (or will it be elevated?); Metrolink underground (or will it be at-grade?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

One last thing - can they rename Stillorgan stop, as it's nowhere near Stillorgan? Should be called Sandyford North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭gjim

The only way to include Ranelagh would be to tie-in at Peter's Place but while this was included as an option to be examined in an early version of the design (involving cut n' cover along Earlsfort terrace) - this was before they "discovered" the canal sewer 🙄. We've trashed this subject before so I don't want to do it again - most disagreed with me from what I recall but I believed this option to be worth examining again - not only to provide a metro station in Ranelagh but also to provide a more natural path for extending what's left of the southern green line - as an on-street tram from Harcourt in the Rathmines or Ringsend direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not to backseat mod or anything, but just to note there is a separate thread for Green Line upgrade (and alternative routings) related chat:

Advertisement