Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dude, there is full documentation on the abandoned Green Line upgrade on www.metrolink.ie. Here is the specific report:

https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/ConstructabilityReportGreenLineClosure.pdf

That upgrade is now sadly no longer happening, so please use the Metrolink Alternative Routes thread (I'm only requesting as I'm not a mod, this is not a demand!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Idbatterim wrote: »
    can they continue running the luas up the the last station before the tie in? where people could continue journey by dublin bike, walk or bus?

Yes for most of the works. Tie in time would need a closure of several months at the tie in so between harcourt and ranelagh on the original plan. The platform heights and electric and signalling are the things that need the rest closed for, this is where I feel some good planning could of shortened the closure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

speaking of lengthening the luas trams, just back from sydney and there, it looked like they just had two x 30m trams, attached to one another, that they could "de-couple" when and as needed...

I have seen that done in Boston with the T. Their problem (if it is a problem) is that as the driver takes the fares, so the second tram has a driver that does not drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

salmocab wrote: »
    Yes for most of the works. Tie in time would need a closure of several months at the tie in so between harcourt and ranelagh on the original plan. The platform heights and electric and signalling are the things that need the rest closed for, this is where I feel some good planning could of shortened the closure.

could they build a temporary luas station further north, right up to where the tie in works begin? would that make any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Temporary crossover would let you do one platform at a time on a station and run a reduced service to it. Organisational effort is massively increased by doing this particularly if you end up running stub services on both systems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep the discussion to north of Charlemont, and anything south of that to this thread Dublin Metrolink - alternative routes.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

MJohnston wrote: »
    That upgrade is now sadly no longer happening

From my understanding, or going by the NTAs wording and from what was said on the 98fm podcast about the new MetroLink plans, is that it’s not “binned”, more so it will probably be brought back up in about ten years or so.
    Which still won’t be any better, as capacity (and therefore the need for the green line upgrade) will be even worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lost in the news yesterday, but Ross has progressed some of the behind the scenes this for Metrolink (Dart Expansion and BusConnects too), which also brings the news that JAPSERS, part of the European Investment Bank, are being brought on board to independently review the business cases for all these projects.

Good that we're getting international experts in to advise, the last thing we want to see is another Childrens Hospital, with contracts signed before the design is finished, etc.

See the announcement here.

Also, the mention of the EIB has me thinking, are we actually getting any European funding for this, or does that come later?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

CatInABox wrote: »
    Also, the mention of the EIB has me thinking, are we actually getting any European funding for this, or does that come later?

The EIB offered us €500m to build the metro in 2010, and will almost certainly offer the same or more today when it comes to funding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    The EIB offered us €500m to build the metro in 2010, and will almost certainly offer the same or more today when it comes to funding this.

Just to clarify, is that a grant or a loan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, is that a grant or a loan?

A very low interest loan with a long repayment period. The idea is that they ensure finance is incredibly easily available for important European projects.

It's probable that it will also get direct grants to some degree.

Regardless, we're able to fund this on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

I'm not saying we go full Portugal, Spain or Greece on this, but if the money is there from the EU, we should snap their hand off for it, and use what's left of our "own" money to progress other systems concurrently.

Ff want to get the crayons out for this scheme again. Didn’t even take a recession to put in in jeopardy !

Do you have this weekends lotto numbers grandeeod ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Absolute ****ing disaster. And exactly as predicted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ff want to get the crayons out for this scheme again.
    source? i can't find this after a quick google.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.fiannafail.ie/the-time-has-come-for-a-more-suitable-and-comprehensive-metrolink-south-plan-ff/

Yes, with FF topping polls looks like Metro will be scrapped, lol. Can hardly be a surprise to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

https://www.fiannafail.ie/the-time-has-come-for-a-more-suitable-and-comprehensive-metrolink-south-plan-ff/

Yes, with FF topping polls looks like Metro will be scrapped, lol. Can hardly be a surprise to anyone.

Thats from last February, are there current links to them saying they want to redesign.

the only candidate talking sense ,with metro link, from what I can see! Ironically he is with ff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

the only candidate talking sense ,with metro link, from what I can see! Ironically he is with ff...

Another FF candidate came out in support of current metrolink from the northside, the double sided approach really highlights them as a vehicle for independents more so than a true political party, seems to be a symptom of happily swinging in the wind for votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Makes no sense to me to go out to UCD and terminate there... also it’s on a qbc. Other projects on which the money could be far better spent

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Talk is cheap at election time when it comes to transport, so I would take any manifesto pledges with my bodyweight in salt. But are there any published proposals for a multiple line metro system for Dublin? Reading some (usually badly informed) articles and some posts here, you would think that there can only be one metro line in a city.

Anyone who has spent time in cities with good metro systems will know that their utility can increase exponentially with extra lines. So just building one line will mainly serve trips into the city centre as trips from Swords to Sandyford or any other two suburbs on one line would be limited. But add a couple more lines, say Blanchardstown-Blackrock and Tallaght-Raheny, and the potential to reduce car and bus journeys is much greater.

The only multi-line map I have seen is on Eamonn Ryan's website and that makes no logical sense but reeks of the NIMBYism that had him trying to reroute the first line. Only in Ireland could the Green Party stand in the way of mass transit!

If the first line is ever built and doesn't turn into a childrens' hospital-style spiralling money pit, then it will hopefully be successful. That would have us talking about building other lines while some forward planning now could save years and huge amounts of money if there was an overall plan and things like future interchange stations were built properly once.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fine Gael “will explore the feasibility”.

In other words, vote us in and we’ll have a look. No need to get flustered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

marno21 wrote: »
    Fine Gael “will explore the feasibility”.

In other words, vote us in and we’ll have a look. No need to get flustered

While it's depressing and unambitious, in a sense I appreciate that at least it's an honest appraisal of what will happen (i.e. slow progress or nothing). The other parties are promising a nationwide explosion of infrastructure building overnight along with billions more euros for housing/healthcare/pensions etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

It is starting to look like the most hucksterish election in Irish history. I am half waiting for one of them saying they will move Ireland down to off the coast of Portugal for better summers at this point.

Reminds me of the famous story of FF telling people they were going to drain the Shannon and give up the new land to farmers for free.

Makes no sense to me to go out to UCD and terminate there... also it’s on a qbc. Other projects on which the money could be far better spent

I am going to elaborate on my own point here. Wouldnt the distance from charlemont to ucd be roughly the length of the DU tunnel? There is no comparison between the two in terms of importance.

Also with these new bus plans in place, how likely is the south west of the city, likely to still urgently need a metro? I assume so, but dont know...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

While it's depressing and unambitious, in a sense I appreciate that at least it's an honest appraisal of what will happen (i.e. slow progress or nothing). The other parties are promising a nationwide explosion of infrastructure building overnight along with billions more euros for housing/healthcare/pensions etc.

Stop pumping billions into roads and quelle surprise you've billions available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I am going to elaborate on my own point here. Wouldnt the distance from charlemont to ucd be roughly the length of the DU tunnel? There is no comparison between the two in terms of importance.

Also with these new bus plans in place, how likely is the south west of the city, likely to still urgently need a metro? I assume so, but dont know...

I would think aiming for a university isn’t a great idea, fine if it’s on the way somewhere else but to dig to a site that is only used fully for 9 months and even then the people going there aren’t necessarily going at the same times so don’t add as many commuter numbers at peak time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Manifestos being launched so should hopefully get some clarity

Advertisement