Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So, scrap Metrolink that will carry tens of thousands of people an hour because we'll have to get rid of a gym but complete the WRC that carries about 4 people. Absolutely ridiculous but it is People Before Profit so not too surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

Sinn Fein:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sinn Fein:

Please god no.

Open Kishoge. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sinn Fein:

Why can't politicians call it by its proper name? Particularly those from opposition parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

prunudo wrote: »
    Why can't politicians call it by its proper name? Particularly those from opposition parties.

because metrolink is a Fine Gael project and the opposition want to can it and redesign it slightly so they can take the credit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭prunudo

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    because metrolink is a Fine Gael project and the opposition want to can it and redesign it slightly so they can take the credit for it.

Party pettiness so, wasn't Dublin Metro the name the Spanish crowd gave their fantasy land proposal that the media bring up any time official plans are put forward. They said it could build for a fraction of the cost while not comparing like with like projects in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-longest-bridge-opens-wexford-4984198-Jan2020/

how do they do things like this with little fanfare yet they can't get started on the metro or build a cycle or bus lane in Dublin?
    Quarter of a billion to bypass New f*cking Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-longest-bridge-opens-wexford-4984198-Jan2020/

how do they do things like this with little fanfare yet they can't get started on the metro or build a cycle or bus lane in Dublin?
    It’s taking the piss. I had reservations about the greens , I still do. But I’m giving them a vote. No new rural motorways should go ahead. Until dm and m20 , bus connects and dart underground have started !!!

Dont get any game changer projects in! But provide Mickey Mouse projects here and there there ! Dublin metro line would take 100,000,000 a year if upgraded to metro to Sandyford as planned , by sustainable means. How many a year are going to use that new new ross village bypass ?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Roads in areas like this typically only negatively affect a few people. When it comes to CPOing land for something like this it will only be a few farmers and a handful of houseowners. Some of them won't care or will be happy with the inconvenience for the long term gain or the CPO money so the amount shouting about it is negligible. Whereas metrolink and busconnects will negatively affect thousands so there are more people who are giving out about it and as a result that gives them a bit more clout.

Also, infrastructure outside Dublin is generally considered a positive thing whereas building anything in Dublin is seen as a negative thing by a lot of people because 'Sure, Dublin gets everything. [insert town or village name here] never gets anything' so it's easy to rile people up against it.

How does bus connects negatively impact some people ? Because they might lose a meter of their front garden that they never use ? And if so , don’t they drive or use the bus or cycle? All of which bus connects us would help ?!

Dubliners need to start making the appalling transport infrastructure here an election issue and start the change by giving the Green Party a vote !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They've been talking about putting a bike lane through Fairview since 2011 for f*cks sake. It's absolutely treacherous for cyclists. Plenty of space for it too. I can't understand how they can build mega bridges and can't put down a few 100 meters of cycle lane.

We really just need to stand up to the people objecting to these projects for the greater good and long term gain. Look at all the crap that the Luas got prior to and during construction. Now people want them all over the place. It's just stupid, short-term thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Please god no.

Open Kishoge. That'll do.

To be fair, I think the inner city part of the line would be great. It could even be extended further east ward to the likes of GCD or Ballsbridge.

ncounties wrote: »
    To be fair, I think the inner city part of the line would be great. It could even be extended further east ward to the likes of GCD or Ballsbridge.

Possibly. There's some merit in it. But the mental route it takes is a firm no for me. If it doesn't go straight through Ballyfermot and doglegs up the Kylemore Road instead, then it's a pointless piece of infrastructure.

Kishoge is already built. Open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

I asked a FF guy in Maynooth about metro, would it continue as is or back to drawing board.
    Seemed shocked by question, then spouted crap they still have railway order of original metro North, didn't think the FG plan was good enough, started talking about DU then.

While we're on the subject, would be worth considering having a direct tunnel from the Collins Avenue stop direct to the DCU campus?

It absolutely would. But the route would be tight enough a dedicated laneway through the Albert College housing would also be as beneficial but where you would put it would be a clincher. TBH it's not something to get bogged down on. The important part is to get a Collins Avenue Station.

The current route into DCU from Collins Avenue would be sufficient really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we return to the topic. Deviations should be in the other thread.

Thank you.

Further off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ff want to get the crayons out for this scheme again. Didn’t even take a recession to put in in jeopardy !

Do you have this weekends lotto numbers grandeeod ?

Watch this space once the next Government is formed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Watch this space once the next Government is formed.

I'm actually pretty confident this'll get built. There's only so many ways to form a coalition, and most of the smaller, likely parties have this as pretty important.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm actually pretty confident this'll get built. There's only so many ways to form a coalition, and most of the smaller, likely parties have this as pretty important.

We'll see. History suggests it won't be built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

History is fairly irrelevant given the present day urgency of this project. Also every government has one big ticket infrastructure project to tout, and there’s not much else left on the table anymore.

MJohnston wrote: »
    History is fairly irrelevant given the present day urgency of this project. Also every government has one big ticket infrastructure project to tout, and there’s not much else left on the table anymore.

I'm gonna agree to disagree with your opinion so the thread doesn't sink into chaos. However my usual opinion still stands. like yours. We'll see. I'm year 40 into this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

As long as there is an inch of unpaved motorway possible in this country the metro and DU will never be built. You can be sure that a motorway from one end of Achill Island to the other has far more chance of being completed before a metro or DU is even started.

I would argue that history is more relevant than ever in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

MrAbyss wrote: »
    As long as there is an inch of unpaved motorway possible in this country the metro and DU will never be built. You can be sure that a motorway from one end of Achill Island to the other has far more chance of being completed before a metro or DU is even started.

I would argue that history is more relevant than ever in this regard.

No, it’s really not. Go take a look at a recent debate amongst Wicklow candidates - near full agreement that the N11 should not be widened for the use of private vehicles, but public transport solution implemented instead. That would have been absolutely unthinkable even just 2/3 years ago.

There’s a big shift in public opinion happening due in part to climate change anxieties, and politicians are waking up to that.

It’s telling that basically no major party campaigned without mentioning MORE metro lines.

get ready for the new proposal to turn this into a greenway! environmentally friendly! no rolling stock ever needed, people can access the airport twenty four hours a day and the only really important thing, its dirt cheap compared to metro :rolleyes:

frankly I dont care what the cost is, if health, rural broadband , the NCH are all "no amount is enough" then deliver these transport projects, I couldnt care less where they make up the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭VeryOwl

No, it’s really not. Go take a look at a recent debate amongst Wicklow candidates - near full agreement that the N11 should not be widened for the use of private vehicles, but public transport solution implemented instead. That would have been absolutely unthinkable even just 2/3 years ago.

There’s a big shift in public opinion happening due in part to climate change anxieties, and politicians are waking up to that.

It’s telling that basically no major party campaigned without mentioning MORE metro lines.

I wish you were right but I've seen no real evidence that people were genuinely engaged by climate change. While the election has rightly highlighted housing, it's been framed very much in terms of people's inability to "get on the ladder" and purchase their own semi-D. Many of the climate initiatives are tokenistic and public transport barely got a look in as usual.

The chips will fall as they fall and we all have to hope that history isn't a guide to the past. They may be promising more metro lines yet the one thing no one wants to make a firm commitment to is building metro north.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Election over, time to get on with the consultations!

https://twitter.com/MetroLink_ie/status/1226833234937491462

Nothing on Metrolink.ie yet, I assume that means they'll upload docs on Wednesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

CatInABox wrote: »
    Election over, time to get on with the consultations!

https://twitter.com/MetroLink_ie/status/1226833234937491462

Nothing on Metrolink.ie yet, I assume that means they'll upload docs on Wednesday.

Here comes the professional arm wringers!

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Here comes the professional arm wringers!
    more public consulations! LOL!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    more public consulations! LOL!

LOL! and LOL! AGAIN AND AGAIN. Watch as it all gets reinvented and kicked down the road. Once it happens again, I hope some posters here stay around and admit to me and others they were wrong and don't re-reg to hide from it.

Despite what you read here, PT and Metro were not election issues overall. This gives the next Government the next get out clause and that doesn't even factor in any kind of recession coming our way. As a nation we have no problem throwing hundreds of millions at the big ticket rail projects. The billions scare the politicians.

That said, I don't want to disrupt the thread as my views tend to be reported. Hopefully mods leave my post in terms of relevance to the unfolding political scene.

Advertisement