Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Full automation? So will add 10 years to deployment.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I second that why

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Full automation? So will add 10 years to deployment.

SELTRAC has been tested to death. It's also been planned to be automated from day one; so its not like a retrofit. Won't delay anything.

L1011 wrote: »
    SELTRAC has been tested to death. It's also been planned to be automated from day one; so its not like a retrofit. Won't delay anything.

Unions, fear, general uneasiness.

Not being negative, just realistic.

People won’t care, there are several around with no real issues. There is a weird thing where people say what Irish people will or won’t be able for.
    Unions won’t be an issue as it’s a completely new set up with no changeover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

salmocab wrote: »
    People won’t care, there are several around with no real issues. There is a weird thing where people say what Irish people will or won’t be able for.
    Unions won’t be an issue as it’s a completely new set up with no changeover.

exactly, have to say, fair bloody play to them for going automated. It will be nearly the year 2030 this thing is built, if its built, I think they have worked out the automation bit decades ago? :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    exactly, have to say, fair bloody play to them for going automated. It will be nearly the year 2030 this thing is built, if its built, I think they have worked out the automation bit decades ago? :rolleyes:

Automated is really the only proper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hasn't the Copenhagen metro been automated from day one since it opened in 2003?

Won't be an issue.

The electorate has changed since Mary O'Rourke's days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There are no existing unions representing metro drivers that don't and won't ever exist in Ireland.

Its quite unlikely the operator will be a pre-existing unionised operator so the unions one is a red herring.

Fear and unease of something that's proven for four decades should be dismissed with impunity. Human drivers cause far more issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L1011 wrote: »
    Its quite unlikely the operator will be a pre-existing unionised operator so the unions one is a red herring.

Fear and unease of something that's proven for four decades should be dismissed with impunity. Human drivers cause far more issues.

I can still see the transport unions kicking up a stink about it. Hopefully, they are ignored though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I can still see the transport unions kicking up a stink about it. Hopefully, they are ignored though.

I doubt they’ll be standing in solidarity with their cyborg allies.

they dont give a toss about anything other than existing customers (their members) I think that is beyond blatant!

The outrageous luas strikes a few years back, likely cemented this being automated, thank god!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

they dont give a toss about anything other than existing customers (their members) I think that is beyond blatant!

The outrageous luas strikes a few years back, likely cemented this being automated, thank god!

It'll give them no power over a brand new rail system. Also, it is a loss of potential new customers for them. They will definitely not be happy about it being a driverless system. Sure didn't the unions in the UK kick up a stink when driverless systems were introduced there.

I'm not saying they will be successful it getting rid of it but they will kick up a stink over it being driverless.

It'll give them no power over a brand new rail system. Also, it is a loss of potential new customers for them. They will definitely not be happy about it being a driverless system. Sure didn't the unions in the UK kick up a stink when driverless systems were introduced there.

I'm not saying they will be successful it getting rid of it but they will kick up a stink over it being driverless.

they will still need maintenance staff, cleaners, security etc. It's just one element that is doing away with humans. I dont know how many drivers this line would need, but what are you talking? 60-80? not a big deal either way to unions, but certainly from a passenger and headache perspective for the operator running the line and government, it makes total sense...

they will still need maintenance staff, cleaners, security etc. It's just one element that is doing away with humans. I dont know how many drivers this line would need, but what are you talking? 60-80? not a big deal either way to unions, but certainly from a passenger and headache perspective for the operator running the line and government, it makes total sense...

Operation wise driverless can have shorter times between trains. I think I read 90 seconds whereas drivers need more time. It also save a bit of space at each end of the train for more passengers which both add up to more passengers per direction per hour. Now I don’t think it will start at 90 second headway’s but it gives somewhere to go as a line gets higher usage. It also means that taking out trains after peak times is easy with no rostering issues.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-19741282
    Rail Maritime and Transport union (RMT) members will vote on industrial action ahead of preparations to test trains without drivers.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said: "RMT reiterates this union's complete opposition to driverless trains. Every train must have a driver to ensure the safe and effective running of the Underground.

"Plans to scrap drivers or reduce their driving duties are risking safety, services and jobs and are motivated by saving money and undermining trade unionism."

Do you not think the NBRU will be thinking the same here?

I wonder what the outcome of that was? look, they just need to be faced down, people have near zero sympathy for them. they wont have public support, the luas strikes did nothing but highlight, how overpaid they already were. This is a mountain being made into a molehill. The unions havent even mentioned this an issue and frankly I and I doubt the collossal majority, couldnt care less if they do. they are the primary driver of change to driverless for god sake!:rolleyes:

They'll get no sympathy if they try the same thing.

Times are moving on.

Automation is doing away with boring repetitive jobs and creating higher tech jobs.

I wonder what the outcome of that was? look, they just need to be faced down, people have near zero sympathy for them. they wont have public support, the luas strikes did nothing but highlight, how overpaid they already were. This is a mountain being made into a molehill. The unions havent even mentioned this an issue and frankly I and I doubt the collossal majority, couldnt care less if they do. they are the primary driver of change to driverless for god sake!:rolleyes:

You said that it wasn't a big deal to the unions when I said they would kick up a stink about it. Doesn't matter what the outcome was, they still kicked up a stink. I also said I didn't think they would be successful in blocking the metro being driverless.

I agree it should be driverless and that if the unions do stamp their feet about it they should be faced down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't get the safety argument - the DLR is driverless and has been running for years. Have there been any major incidents?
    How many accidents have been caused by SPADs (human error), which are pretty much impossible in an automated system.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't get the safety argument - the DLR is driverless and has been running for years. Have there been any major incidents?
    How many accidents have been caused by SPADs (human error), which are pretty much impossible in an automated system.

It's really nothing to do with safety but safety is a nice bogeyman for this type of thing. They have used safety as a reason to oppose things before. Strangely enough once their members get more money, their concerns are satisfied and they aren't worried about passenger safety anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That is all to do about existing railways which have humans driving them, and has a lot to do with protecting those jobs as well.

It is a complete red herring in this case.

Metrolink would be a brand new railway which will have protected platforms, new stock and fully automated signalling.

It’s comparing apples with oranges.

There is no reason why metrolink would cause mass union issues - it’s not going to spill over onto the existing railways as they’re built to a completely different spec and have far more need of local human supervision.

You said that it wasn't a big deal to the unions when I said they would kick up a stink about it. Doesn't matter what the outcome was, they still kicked up a stink. I also said I didn't think they would be successful in blocking the metro being driverless.

I agree it should be driverless and that if the unions do stamp their feet about it they should be faced down.

The major difference between the article and the metro is that it’s talking of doing away with union jobs that exist against a whole new system that doesn’t exist yet. They can stamp their feet and hold their breath but it won’t change a thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

loyatemu wrote: »

There have been two accidents on the DLR and ironically both times the train was being operated manually by a driver!

There will never be any Metro drivers to go on strike.

Sympathy strikes are illegal.

They can bitch and moan from their other vehicles but if they go on strike they'll be injuncted and the union will be bankrupted.

Its also quite likely that the operator, whoever they are, will pick a union to recognise for their other staff and ignore the rest; and that'll probably be SIPTU

I reckon they will be out taking passenger figures to gauge demand for dublin metro tomorrow, perfect opportunity to scrap it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If there's a recession now it wont happen then I can say I told you so and have a minor victory that no one cares about on the internet.

If there's a recession now it wont happen then I can say I told you so and have a minor victory that no one cares about on the internet.

if we have a recession, its the perfect time to build it, avail of cheaper tender prices and keep thousands of skilled people in the country! they can ditch the off the wall NBP...

• Advertisement

if we have a recession, its the perfect time to build it, avail of cheaper tender prices and keep thousands of skilled people in the country! they can ditch the off the wall NBP...

But that would involve political courage!!!!! :pac:

Advertisement