Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Shedite27 wrote: »
    This thread has got a lot less angry since we cut off the southside

It's indicative of where the project is in the public's mind, I think. The NTA has done an excellent job with removing almost all of the controversial aspects of the project, there's very little that attracts ire. That's why it's just not in the media anymore, even Tara St, which is probably the only controversial aspect left, is not getting much traction at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's indicative of where the project is in the public's mind, I think. The NTA has done an excellent job with removing almost all of the controversial aspects of the project, there's very little that attracts ire. That's why it's just not in the media anymore, even Tara St, which is probably the only controversial aspect left, is not getting much traction at all.

And it frees up resources in the NTA previously dealing with objections to much more fruitful tasks which is fantastic given how resource constrained they arw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

The people who find fault with every new project are now putting their energies into fighting Bus Connects. I don't expect Metrolink to be all plain sailing before its built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

jvan wrote: »
    The people who find fault with every new project are now putting their energies into fighting Bus Connects. I don't expect Metrolink to be all plain sailing before its built.

At least with BusConnects and MetroLink happening at the same time, people will know just how expensive an underground line is, and less willing to listen to the "just stick it underground" arguments of the BusConnects objectors.

And anyone against MetroLink arguing for improved bus services will meet the wrath of the CRC dwellers...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Metrolink will be a doddle compared to what’s coming in busconnects. If you thought the people of Ranelagh made a noise bus connects will show us all another level

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Metrolink will be a doddle compared to what’s coming in busconnects. If you thought the people of Ranelagh made a noise bus connects will show us all another level

Will it though? All the plans have basically been published, and anyone at risk of property acquisition has been informed. The Rathgar thing is a peculiar one, sicne many of the users of that corridor come from Rathfarnham and Knocklyon and the like, pretty strong middle-class areas.

Qrt wrote: »
    Will it though? All the plans have basically been published, and anyone at risk of property acquisition has been informed. The Rathgar thing is a peculiar one, sicne many of the users of that corridor come from Rathfarnham and Knocklyon and the like, pretty strong middle-class areas.

There will be an unholy sh1tshow once they start taking people’s gardens and parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Of all the current project Bus Connects poses the largest amount of disruption day-to-day.

DART expansion will probably not even make headlines, maybe some feathers ruffled about the quad tracking to Heuston, but again, it's poor people impacted, so no fuss. A couple of level crossings closing in the Blanch area, nobody in the Times even knows where that is. Róisín's petunias in The Nure won't notice DART expansion.

Metrolink's latest revision may still remain contentious, some road closures in Glasnevin and Ballymun(who cares right?) and then there's the fact that the journos for the Times won't be able to hear themselves write whatever scutter they'll be writing at the time when every single building around their office will be a building site. Una Mullaley will write about the injustice of it all while she 'works'.

Both projects pale in comparison to BusConnects though, they'll be chaining themselves to their faux victorian railings when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Qrt wrote: »

You'd think that would mean all the objections would be in circulation already, but "Rethink Metrolink" only really started making the most noise a fair time after the public consultation had closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There will be an unholy sh1tshow once they start taking people’s gardens and parking spaces.

if they lose the ability to park in their front garden, Id have some sympathy. If not, I couldnt care less for them! Whats it going to stop them doing, sunbathing in their front garden? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if they lose the ability to park in their front garden, Id have some sympathy. If not, I couldnt care less for them! Whats it going to stop them doing, sunbathing in their front garden? :rolleyes:

We all saw the crap with Dunville ave it will be much bigger for busconnects. Some with genuine issues such as parking and some just not wanting change.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cgcsb wrote: »
    Metrolink's latest revision may still remain contentious, some road closures in Glasnevin and Ballymun(who cares right?) and then there's the fact that the journos for the Times won't be able to hear themselves write whatever scutter they'll be writing at the time when every single building around their office will be a building site. Una Mullaley will write about the injustice of it all while she 'works'.

Sure, once the project starts, I'm sure there will be a lot of whining, just like every project in the past has, like remember the whining about Luas Cross City, Port Tunnel, etc.

But once they get past the planning stage and shovels are in the ground, that whining becomes meaningless. It won't stop the project and I can't think of any major project it Ireland that was halted once started. Hell look at the Children's Hospital.

And of course once the project is complete, everyone will love it and will forget about the whining.

It is the current phase that I worry about , it is now that public complaints could kill a project due to politicians getting cold feet or it hitting planning objections, etc.

agreed with the above, or wait for the first sign of a downturn, theyll be delighted to kick it to the kerb... AGAIN!

bk wrote: »
    Sure, once the project starts, I'm sure there will be a lot of whining, just like every project in the past has, like remember the whining about Luas Cross City, Port Tunnel, etc.

But once they get past the planning stage and shovels are in the ground, that whining becomes meaningless. It won't stop the project and I can't think of any major project it Ireland that was halted once started. Hell look at the Children's Hospital.

And of course once the project is complete, everyone will love it and will forget about the whining.

It is the current phase that I worry about , it is now that public complaints could kill a project due to politicians getting cold feet or it hitting planning objections, etc.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, shovels in the ground didn’t stop the water protests winning out. The only thing that can stop any of this is the one thing we have no shortage of unfortunately and that’s political cowardice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, shovels in the ground didn’t stop the water protests winning out. The only thing that can stop any of this is the one thing we have no shortage of unfortunately and that’s political cowardice.

Well the water charges were something very different. While there was some infrastructure involved, it was more the charging aspect that the protests killed. In fact those water meters that were installed are still being used to identify water leaks and Irish Water as an entity who run our water supply and maintain the infrastructure and continue to expand it is still in operation.

It is just how we pay for it that has changed.

bk wrote: »
    Well the water charges were something very different. While there was some infrastructure involved, it was more the charging aspect that the protests killed. In fact those water meters that were installed are still being used to identify water leaks and Irish Water as an entity who run our water supply and maintain the infrastructure and continue to expand it is still in operation.

It is just how we pay for it that has changed.
    Yeah I get that but that was a done deal, contracts signed meters going in and still protests shot it down. Nothing in this country is done until it’s done. I really don’t think we have a government that will push back once the local TDs start to kick off. We’ll end up with another camel of a project like we got with the original luas lines and are getting with the metro.

Not really comparable. The water meters were and are a recoverable cost for any future retry of the Irish Water fiasco, whereas once Metrolink starts, the sunk costs would be huge and not recoverable.

Well yeah but we were more talking bus connects which isn’t one continuous job, it will be a series of smaller works in front of peoples houses. Anyway it’s OT here but I see it being a huge political issue.

BusConnects is a different story maybe, but you were actually talking about Metrolink in the last few posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

Sam's gonna be angry when he sees this thread.

MJohnston wrote: »
    BusConnects is a different story maybe, but you were actually talking about Metrolink in the last few posts ;)

No I wasn’t talking about metrolink, not sure what your wink is supppsed to convey.

Apologies MJohnston I see now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No I wasn’t talking about metrolink, not sure what your wink is supppsed to convey.

Mod: This thread is about Metrolink - Swords to Charlemont. I think that is the point being made, but obviously too subtle. So to be clear, Busconnects has its own thread.

Busconnects posts moved.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057859339&page=83

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/o-connell-street-and-moore-street-set-for-renewal-1.3879120

Thought this was interesting, are Hammerson planning to build the metro station first a lá the Matter station box?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Related to the proposed Northwood Stop - https://www.herald.ie/news/builder-plans-new-homes-beside-metro-thats-due-in-2027-38074297.html
    Bartra Capital Property is promoting the development - at Northwood in Santry - as a Metro North stop.

The proposal has been delayed due to ongoing reviews of the Metro route, but Bartra has told the Herald it intends to proceed.

It hopes to get permission for a mixed-use development of 100 build-to-rent apartments, 250 beds in a "shared living" environment and 100 social houses.

The 4.5-acre site is located 200m south of the M50 and is zoned for development as part of the Metro economic corridor.

The company said its "general approach" is for high-density, high-rise scheme "appropriate for a location adjacent to a Metro station".

Around 100 social houses will be leased to the local authority.

Bartra expects to commence design work shortly and hopes to make a Strategic Housing Development fast track planning application to An Bord Pleanala within six months.

There was planning permission given recently for developments in Northwood itself. I would not be surprised to see new applications on these sites increasing the number of floors (since the new government guidelines came out)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Spotted this in an article about related to a "stampede by developers to build apartments", there's a development group that have applied for planning permission for 108 social housing units, 350 student accommodation units, 150 Communal Living units near to the Northwood Station on the Metrolink line.

Can't see this going ahead without Metrolink going ahead, but this is the kind of development that I'd expect to see crop up all along the line. See here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Varadkar comments on the National Broadband Plan today
    "To me, if we could find €8 billion to link all the cities by motorway, if we can find €4bn or €5bn to build a metro in Dublin, surely we can find around €3bn for broadband," he said.

Surprising figures he's giving for the Metro there.

He has to keep claiming that there's a possibility of national finer broadband coverage for the rural vote. I'm just amazed that rural people buy it. Can they not Google how other countries....Oh never mind.

Anyway when they have to break the news that there's no such thing that's €3bn that can go on better schools hospitals and public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

CatInABox wrote: »
    Spotted this in an article about related to a "stampede by developers to build apartments", there's a development group that have applied for planning permission for 108 social housing units, 350 student accommodation units, 150 Communal Living units near to the Northwood Station on the Metrolink line.

Can't see this going ahead without Metrolink going ahead, but this is the kind of development that I'd expect to see crop up all along the line. See here.

Just a slight tangent if I may be so bold; why so many apartments now? Are the Government (belatedly) encouraging then over houses? Has their been policy changes?

Just a slight tangent if I may be so bold; why so many apartments now? Are the Government (belatedly) encouraging then over houses? Has their been policy changes?

Developers will build what they deem most profitable at that point in the cycle. Many of these sites would have been developed with low density housing a few years ago and would have gotten planning no problem. There is no Regards to sustainability or good planning here !

There's the Strategic Housing Development scheme where developments with 100+ houses or 200+ student beds can skip straight to ABP, bypassing local authority approval.

What's really kicked things off in the last year though is the rise of REITs (commonly called cuckoo funds) which buy up apartment developments en masse to rent them out.

So basically, the difference is there's more money in it now.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's the Strategic Housing Development scheme where developments with 100+ houses or 200+ student beds can skip straight to ABP, bypassing local authority approval.

What's really kicked things off in the last year though is the rise of REITs (commonly called cuckoo funds) which buy up apartment developments en masse to rent them out.

So basically, the difference is there's more money in it now.

Additionally there’s mixed opinions on REITs. Although they’re building many needed apartment schemes, many are worried they’ll become too powerful and influence the market price wise. And since so many apartments will be rental only, it prolongs the idea of apartments being only temporary and that you’ll buy a “proper house” one day. Lots of transience too.

Personally, I don’t mind them once they’re able to be sold individually at some point in the future as regards their method of construction. Many will be build along transport corridors so they’ll be decent places to live mostly. I don’t like the idea of them buying developments that are due to be build as single units like Fernbank in Churchtown was but sure look, I’m an only child, I’m (a bit depressingly) reminded so any time housing comes up.

Advertisement