Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bus connects will not do what it's supposed to do. No politician will allow gardens to be taken and cars to be restricted, not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Seriously, nothing about actual real projects that can be delivered, only flights of fancy

Agreed it doesn't really read that bad other than the fact that it's the same as previous versions and nothing is delivered yet

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yes, until shovels go in the ground for the metrolink I won't really believe it is happening I think!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is kicking a can down the road the same as canning a project?

DART was planned in the early 1970s, and a much smaller project was launched in 1982 as a 2 car electric train service from Bray to Howth. The nothing until it was extended to Malahide and single track to Greystone. Then nothing.

Metro was promised, Clongriffin to Airport was proposed, while the Phoenix Park Tunnel (what was that Gay?) was impossible, but the Dart Interconnector (also known as Dart Underground) was seen as the great white hope. It was redesigned and the canned. It turns out that the Phoenix Park Tunnel was OK, and when we get a few carriages to replace the Mark IVs that were inexplicable scrapped we might be able to use it fully.

So, what have we got - nothing now or in the near future (decade).

Well, we have a huge shelf in the department holding all the plans, costings for those plans, revised plans, plans about plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Brennan was good from what I remember, a straight talking non bullshitter. Pitt there isn't a single one of them in the daily today...

Unless luas goes back to carnage levels, which is years away, they will keep on getting away with this disgrace!

There is going to be serious amount of new apartments on green line, but probably 4-5 years before all completed...

The only reason I voted green, was for public transport progress. They are delivering none... they are anti incresed density, for god sake. A few km of bike lanes for a city of 1.5 million is the plan, for the next few years ?

Unless luas goes back to carnage levels, which I'd years away, they will keep on getting away with this disgrace!

Want to try that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Disgusting postponment of metrolink by 5 years, that sums it up todays announcement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is absolutely nothing new in today's announcement about Metrolink. The delays were already baked in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Baked in where? The 2027 timeline was still officially the goal until September when Eamon said it was never realistic anyway. Now it's in the 2031-2042 timeframe under the new plan.

• Advertisement

If there is one thing we can take away from this. it's that government inaction, for decades, will finally be seriously punished at the next election. Without question...

The greens were blatantly a waste of a vote...

The only way I see metro or dart underground etc being delivered, is when the public backlash on sitting in gridlock becomes overwhelming. That is the only way they will listen..

Baked in by the fact it's already wildly late going to planning permission. I'll admit I had hopes it would still be before 2031 but at this stage I care more about when work starts in earnest and that is still in the upcoming couple years.

I mean, part of the delay is undoubtedly due to public backlash to facing the realities of building the metro also and people wanting no disruption. I think you wildly over-rate the public.

Most of Ireland want to get in their car and drive wherever they like. Add in the NIMBY's and there isn't really any hope for the required infrastructure projects in this country. I just want traffic and congestion to get worse and worse as the years go on, we f*cking deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It’s beyond belief that we have such a relative high standard of living, yet the country is run by inept idiots who would give muppets a bad name.

The only thing that works in the state is the IDA. Everything else in the public service and that politicians touch is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In fairness they are being encouraged to do so by the government who are pushing hard for close to 1m electric cars on the road by 2030.

an absolutely ridiculous policy - get 1 million cars off the road maybe, that would be a huge success

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You're sure that they will be seriously punished!?

I think you'll find a lot of people in Dublin broadly want these projects

The mountain of sheer waste such a policy would result in.

We really are governed by a bunch of virtue signallers who are incapable of conceiving or delivering policies that deliver real progress

Shower of dopes

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree. When they are sitting forever in traffic, they will want better public transport, so others can get out of their cars and they an stay in theirs. My point about public patience having run out, was mainly in relation to housing, ffg are toast mkext election because of it... but it also spreads into transport etc, colinstr change. Look at all of us on this forum, pissed off beyond belief, even in a country where expectations are on the floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sadly public transport has never been a make or break issue in general elections.

Housing, health, education and taxes are, but not transport.

not to mention the rural vote only care about bypasses and motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Unacceptably long commuting times on PT = poorer quality of life.

It may not be the first thing people mention but it’s in there with the rest of what FFFG and the so-called Greens have failed to deliver on.

SF won a lot of seats last time around without even trying. Gonna be easier for them next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

As someone who voted green Im very dissapointed. They love banging on about having secured 2:1 spending for public transport to roads but if the transport projects are all delayed its pointless. As far as I know busconnects doesnt have a completion date until 2027 and thats before the inevitable NIMBY judicial reviews delay it so how exactly do they expect to half transport emissions by 2030? I will be making a submission to the draft report and emailing the green dublin tds but not hopeful it will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There are plenty of other threads here for pissing and moaning about the government, this one is for Metrolink which the Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy states is to be built subject to planning approval.

Sorry but where are these kms of cycle lanes? Haven't seen them materialise other than poor quality temporary covid measures

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Any posts that are not on the subject matter - Metrolink Swords to Charlemont - will be deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Regarding the cost of Metrolink, I think people better get ready for a figure a fair bit higher than 3-4 billion, if underground rail projects in other countries are anything to go by. Personally I think a project like that will be so transformative over the next century that it's almost worth any cost, but the public and media won't see it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

Won't get much change out of 10bn. Was the gut feel of a few major D&B contractors that I'd deal with.

Advertisement