Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Components

Options
  • 11-04-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey Guys
    i currently have a giant propel advanced pro 2(2017) size small.Its a little bit big and have been meanning to trychange it for the last 2 years.(im 5"4) so it just a tad too big.2 questions iv sound a GIANT PROPEL ADVANCED SL frame in XS(2017)which will suit perfect so will the components fit this model and 2nd can i bring it to my lbs to get it all changed over abd how much would that cost(actualy 3 questions lol)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

willdill wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    i currently have a giant propel advanced pro 2(2017) size small.Its a little bit big and have been meanning to trychange it for the last 2 years.(im 5"4) so it just a tad too big.2 questions iv sound a GIANT PROPEL ADVANCED SL frame in XS(2017)which will suit perfect so will the components fit this model and 2nd can i bring it to my lbs to get it all changed over abd how much would that cost(actualy 3 questions lol)

It should be a straight swap, unless the bottom bracket is different (I didn't check....) but in any case its nothing that cant be sorted easily. I would expect most LBS would take the job on the basis of 'time and materials' and would expect you need to budget €100 for the former and probably for a complete cable change so possibly another €40 for that? You can expect the shop to only do this if the components are in excellent condition eg: you cannot expect them to re-fit - and stand over - brakes where the pads are worn through etc so these 'consumables' may need to be factored in as well

It's all do-able at home with some simple enough equipment and a bit of confidence..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

There will be a good bit of faffing about for a mechanic due to the internal cable runs. If your new frame has cables left in place already then that'll make it easier/ cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is your size problem with stack or reach? If it's only reach have you tried a shorter stem?
    That may be enough to make your current frame fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Would you not give it a go yourself? There’s nothing really hard to do if the bottom brackets are the same - you’d only need a set of Allen keys and a pedal spanner.
    YouTube has loads of great videos to help if you get stuck ( GCN, park tools) and you’d learn new skills to help with your hobby.
    You could always take it to a shop if you make a total mess of it, but that’s not likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think a tool for installing press-fit bottom brackets would be needed too. But yes most of it is easy enough and you could save yourself loads of money in the future by learning how to do it yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement