Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I saw Varadkar is down in Cork and Limerick this week pushing a Yes vote for directly elected mayors. Is he due in Waterford any time soon?

Coming to Waterford on Tuesday i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I wont be giving any votes to the likes of the coasters like Cha O Neil, he is only in it for the wages and expenses, he couldn't give a fcuk about Waterford or the issues. I sometimes despair at how these people keep getting back in. I know there is some truth in "they are all the same" but people must really be stupid to fall for their election false promises crap.

I really want to protest vote against the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail politicians over their parties treatment of Waterford and go independent but when the alternative is the likes of him I just really don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I really want to protest vote against the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail politicians over their parties treatment of Waterford and go independent but when the alternative is the likes of him I just really don't know what to do.

My voting options are becoming very limited these days, I've gone from I'm giving up voting to I really must and want to, I know somebody that has gone to the point of writing abuse messages on polling cards. It's a difficult one, but I would recommend everyone to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

A Renua wack job running in tramore. Priorities are bible study, pro-life and Irexit.

Amazingly he has 25 likes on Facebook.

There is more than one wack job running in Tramore!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

List with names

i saw a post on twitter stating Matt Shanahan voted no also. he wasn't a councillor then but i find it baffling really that a health equality campaigner voted against health equality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Without someone from a controlling party you can forget about having any input on government. As tough as it may seem. I always have to wonder why someone would go independent, surely everyone could fit into one of the party's. FG, FF, Lab, SF!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    i saw a post on twitter stating Matt Shanahan voted no also. he wasn't a councillor then but i find it baffling really that a health equality campaigner voted against health equality!

How did he vote against health equality?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Without someone from a controlling party you can forget about having any input on government. As tough as it may seem. I always have to wonder why someone would go independent, surely everyone could fit into one of the party's. FG, FF, Lab, SF!

People should be free to vote for whoever they like, whether its an independent or otherwise

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    People should be free to vote for whoever they like, whether its an independent or otherwise

I don't think they're saying that people shouldn't be able to vote as they please, but they're setting out an opinion that an independent won't be able to influence government.

They also question why a candidate would run as an independent, that there must be a home for them idealogy wise among one of the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Gardner wrote: »

An irony that sits well in Ireland! Like a minister for finance without a bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Did anybody quiz Leo about the North Quays, Airport or 24/7 Cardiac Care today?

so is there a full list of candidates yet?

hardybuck wrote: »
    How did he vote against health equality?

he voted no to repealing the 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

I could not really believe what the Taoiseach said in Waterford yesterday about the Mortuary, and in particular about the four consultants (some of whom I know). On the same day that Cork Airport gets a €40m splurge from the EIB he came empty-handed to the city he promised would not be forgotten on his watch. The litany of broken promises (university, airport, 24/7 being the big three), and the hundreds of tiny decisions that go against this region are well documented.
    There was plenty of uncomfortable local FG folk doughnuting the picture, Maurice Cummins resignation from FG Waterford chair this week.... one has to wonder on the how, why, what of FG's bizarre approach to Waterford. This constituency has always had a strong FG element, and now when FG are in power we mean nothing to them at all. Views, thoughts......

invara wrote: »
    I could not really believe what the Taoiseach said in Waterford yesterday about the Mortuary, and in particular about the four consultants (some of whom I know). On the same day that Cork Airport gets a €40m splurge from the EIB he came empty-handed to the city he promised would not be forgotten on his watch. The litany of broken promises (university, airport, 24/7 being the big three), and the hundreds of tiny decisions that go against this region are well documented.
    There was plenty of uncomfortable local FG folk doughnuting the picture, Maurice Cummins resignation from FG Waterford chair this week.... one has to wonder on the how, why, what of FG's bizarre approach to Waterford. This constituency has always had a strong FG element, and now when FG are in power we mean nothing to them at all. Views, thoughts......

well the university issue is internal really. at the end of the day it's up to WIT and Carlow to lodge the application. we won't be getting our own stand alone university as the infrastructure is simply not there.

the airport is similar. we can't just keep throwing money at stuff just for the sake of parish pump politics. the airport needs to be able to show it can stand on its own 2 feet like any other business. i don't think the recent report reflected this and that's why there is a delay in its publication.

24/7 is coming, it's going to take time but i think it's coming. people still fail to remember John Halligan brought one of the consultants into the government negotiations with him yet Halligan has never attributed any blame towards that consultant. anyone whoever thought 24/7 would be delivered with a click of your fingers is a bigger fool than the local FF reps who brought Bertie to town yesterday.

Talking about 24/7 and Matt Shanahan, can anyone tell me what Matt has done in the short few months since he has been drafted onto the council? 24/7 is not a local government issue. it can be supported at local government. i'm wondering what is his purpose of sitting on the council now and going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

Did anybody quiz Leo about the North Quays, Airport or 24/7 Cardiac Care today?

Here's a link to Darren Skelton's interview with Leo:

https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/1123314808454037504?s=20

He asked him about the cath lab, mortuary and the north quays.

Gardner-

The university is not internal. FG promised a university in 2008-2011 and ditched in in Govt. TU Dublin got a 1bn campus in 2011, every other university is getting 200-300m from the EIB in the past few years. If WIT and Carlow merge without significant additional funding (like the other cities get from central govt and the EIB) they will do so by damaging their existing students. Leo is being very unfair when he says get on with it...

Airport- the money is elsewhere, things can be done elsewhere but not here. It is other parishes that are the problem. Cork cannot stand on its own too feet and is unlikely ever to- airports are civic infrastructure that support economic, cultural and social development.

24/7 is coming- at a glacial pace.... things move quickly when FG wants them

FG is simply bizarre in this constituency..... this community backed them in the dark long days for the party and these faithful grassroots folk appear to be being treated like dirt.

Gardner-

The university is not internal. FG promised a university in 2008-2011 and ditched in in Govt. TU Dublin got a 1bn campus in 2011, every other university is getting 200-300m from the EIB in the past few years. If WIT and Carlow merge without significant additional funding (like the other cities get from central govt and the EIB) they will do so by damaging their existing students. Leo is being very unfair when he says get on with it...

Airport- the money is elsewhere, things can be done elsewhere but not here. It is other parishes that are the problem. Cork cannot stand on its own too feet and is unlikely ever to- airports are civic infrastructure that support economic, cultural and social development.

24/7 is coming- at a glacial pace.... things move quickly when FG wants them

FG is simply bizarre in this constituency..... this community backed them in the dark long days for the party and these faithful grassroots folk appear to be being treated like dirt.

i get what your saying but for the first time in my life i do actually agree with Leo. we need to get on with it. how will an South East University damage existing students :confused:

DAA paid a dividend today of 40m to the state for both Cork and Dublin Airport. They must be doing something right.

FG/FF are dirt and always will be i agree

how will an South East University damage existing students
    ....... a merger will cost money, and distract existing resources - money time and management from the core business of looking after students and growing the student experience. DIT's merger is costing €18m (funded by govt) and they are getting a €1bn capital investment. So far about 1-2m has been spent on the SE merger (also from central funds) but no more is promised. It has already dragged momentum from the core management of both institutions. Beyond that, there is the huge reputational risk that expectations will rise but the student experience and resourcing will not... without university resources it will look like a con job.

how will an South East University damage existing students
    ....... a merger will cost money, and distract existing resources - money time and management from the core business of looking after students and growing the student experience. DIT's merger is costing €18m (funded by govt) and they are getting a €1bn capital investment. So far about 1-2m has been spent on the SE merger (also from central funds) but no more is promised. It has already dragged momentum from the core management of both institutions. Beyond that, there is the huge reputational risk that expectations will rise but the student experience and resourcing will not... without university resources it will look like a con job.

i don't really discredit what your saying but you are stating a lot of ifs and buts. we all don't have a crystal ball. i believe the 1-2 million has been spent but no further tranche of money has been applied for. why? why can't they accept the south east university is the only game in town and drive on with it? do we stay as an institute of technology and be left behind?

• Advertisement

Looking at this objectively:

It appears that in order for WIT to become a University it needs to merge with Carlow IT. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but this seems to be the major sticking point. Blanchardstown IT and DIT have since taken this approach and become a Technical University - looks to me as if the ball is in the two colleges courts.

Cork Airport is owned by the Dublin Airport Authority. They don't get Government funding for their development projects. A case in point being the European Investment Bank giving them a loan - perhaps Waterford Airport should consider a similar option.

This 24/7 thing - I don't recall any compelling reasons for this to be available, or for it not to be available. There's loads of campaigning, but I'm not sure if its just a case if Waterford wants it because other regions have it - when it mightn't really need it. That death of that poor chap from Dungarvan was hijacked by the campaign until it was proven that no upgraded facilities would have had an impact on his case.

As I've stated here before, only 3/16 councillors in Waterford are FG. None of them really look like a potential TD. There's more in Sinn Fein, and twice as many independents.

To me there is a risk of Waterford alienating itself from the mainstream too much. Unfortunately sometimes you tune out from someone who is constantly giving out on the sidelines - you switch off from what they're saying. Perhaps a more persuasive charm offensive is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

It appears that in order for WIT to become a University it needs to merge with Carlow IT. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but this seems to be the major sticking point. Blanchardstown IT and DIT have since taken this approach and become a Technical University - looks to me as if the ball is in the two colleges courts.

Cork Airport is owned by the Dublin Airport Authority. They don't get Government funding for their development projects. A case in point being the European Investment Bank giving them a loan - perhaps Waterford Airport should consider a similar option.

This 24/7 thing - I don't recall any compelling reasons for this to be available, or for it not to be available. There's loads of campaigning, but I'm not sure if its just a case if Waterford wants it because other regions have it - when it mightn't really need it. That death of that poor chap from Dungarvan was hijacked by the campaign until it was proven that no upgraded facilities would have had an impact on his case.

As I've stated here before, only 3/16 councillors in Waterford are FG. None of them really look like a potential TD. There's more in Sinn Fein, and twice as many independents.

To me there is a risk of Waterford alienating itself from the mainstream too much. Unfortunately sometimes you tune out from someone who is constantly giving out on the sidelines - you switch off from what they're saying. Perhaps a more persuasive charm offensive is required.

You cannot be serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

If you want Leo to take the Waterford seriously then don't vote Fine Gael.

A massive drop in support for Fine Gael in Waterford ahead of a General Election (in the next 2 years) might make them get the finger out on these issues.

I'm sure they're eyeing picking up 2 seats in Waterford at the next GE. A massive drop in support and they'll be under pressure to keep the 1 they have.

'Let he who shouts the loudest be heard first'

You cannot be serious?

What I mean by my para is that there is a strong emotive argument from campaigners who feel that people in the south east shouldn't have to do this. My reading of it is that they think its unfair because other regions don't have to. I get that - I don't necessarily disagree with that.

However I'm not sure if there is anything else I'm missing, or if there is any hard evidence - and I'm sure this will be the case of most citizens outside of the region.

And I do think that chap's death was hijacked.

mojor wrote: »
    If you want Leo to take the Waterford seriously then don't vote Fine Gael.

A massive drop in support for Fine Gael in Waterford ahead of a General Election (in the next 2 years) might make them get the finger out on these issues.

I'm sure they're eyeing picking up 2 seats in Waterford at the next GE. A massive drop in support and they'll be under pressure to keep the 1 they have.

'Let he who shouts the loudest be heard first'

Like the last general election? look how that worked out. SF and Ind shouting pretty loud and getting nothing for the south east.

Edit; I actually forgot about out FF seat who is a total waste of space, made a fool of Waterford people during the 8th debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

They still have something to lose here, not much, but those 1 or 2 seats could be very important in the final shake up post the GE.

Send a message now that Waterford are not happy about being forgotten about by Fine Gael.

Would you rather they were given a ringing endorsement to continue on the path they're taking?

mojor wrote: »
    They still have something to lose here, not much, but those 1 or 2 seats could be very important in the final shake up post the GE.

Send a message now that Waterford are not happy about being forgotten about by Fine Gael.

Would you rather they were given a ringing endorsement to continue on the path they're taking?

Yeah i agree with that, but to get new results we need new blood. Totally new blood. No more voting in the same old donkeys time after time. They need to be realistic also, No councilor can deliver airports or hospital upgrades, if they say they can its bullsh1t.

right let's get back on track. anyone have a list of all candidates applicable to the city and its surrounds and predictions and the reason why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

What I mean by my para is that there is a strong emotive argument from campaigners who feel that people in the south east shouldn't have to do this. My reading of it is that they think its unfair because other regions don't have to. I get that - I don't necessarily disagree with that.

However I'm not sure if there is anything else I'm missing, or if there is any hard evidence - and I'm sure this will be the case of most citizens outside of the region.

And I do think that chap's death was hijacked.

Chaps death was hijacked but the people who hijacked were told fairly quickly that his death couldn't have been prevented. They still attended rally's and people didn't say anything for fear of offending grieving family. Later rallies he wasn't used as an example for the provision of 24/7 bit I think it damaged the campaign He was from dunmore not dungarvan by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

With all that has been written about 24/7 including Prime Time programme, and evidence from Darren Skelton in news and Star laying out step by step how UHW (and us) was being lied to,including an unreleased report which clearly showed the volume of cardiology in UHW exceeded places like St Vincent's, Beaumont, Tallaght etc, all of which have been given second cath labs, I have to say that this post is the most ignorant, uninformed, spiteful and crass post it has been my misfortune to read on this thread. Go away and educate yourself about one of the most pressing issue facing this area.

Advertisement