Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

hardybuck wrote: »
    There was a constituency analysis of the south region RTE this morning ahead of the European elections: https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0429/1046346-european-elections-2019-south-constituency-profile/

They seem to think that Grace O'Sullivan might be in with a shout, potentially with Mick Wallace, for the 5th and final seat.

Those with knowledge of sport will know that Seán Kelly's (former GAA president) family has links with the area also. His late brother Brother Patrick Kelly was hugely involved with De La Salle school and club before his untimely death a few years back.

Apart from that it looks as though Cork candidates will hoover up the other three seats.

She is poor enough candidate also. have heard her several times in debate and she is quite poor. what i would say to people is to vote for the best candidate and not vote for her just because she is from Waterford.

Max Powers wrote: »
    You have been spouting a fair load of muck yourself lately, see mortuary comments for one recent example

people speculated and my comments were based upon the information available at that time. what is wrong with that? were you privy to other information not known to the rest of us?
    resultantly, we now need a independent inquiry into this matter. its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    She is poor enough candidate also. have heard her several times in debate and she is quite poor. what i would say to people is to vote for the best candidate and not vote for her just because she is from Waterford.

Well that was something I was wondering about, would people be of the mind to put party differences aside given for a local candidate, go with their party allegiances - or go for the best.

I must confess that I don't have much knowledge of her. I think the Greens are very transfer friendly so this might improve her chances.

Also interesting that Fianna Fail have put forward two candidates, neither of whom is Kieran Hartley who did Brian Crowley's job since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

She's one of the only genuine candidates on the ballot and she'll be getting my Number 1 anyway. Nothing to do with her being from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

people speculated and my comments were based upon the information available at that time. what is wrong with that? were you privy to other information not known to the rest of us?
    resultantly, we now need a independent inquiry into this matter. its as simple as that.

What you said was contradictory to the info of the time, 'from what I hear'i think was the phrase you used....in other words,more than likely BS. Your track history is similar, unsubstantiated or over negative unrealistic, unbalanced comments, whether it be about mortuary, local events, supporters clubs and their press releases you expect or cars sent to pick up people not being as new as for some reason you think they should be. The list goes on.

• Advertisement

Well that was something I was wondering about, would people be of the mind to put party differences aside given for a local candidate, go with their party allegiances - or go for the best.

I must confess that I don't have much knowledge of her. I think the Greens are very transfer friendly so this might improve her chances.

Also interesting that Fianna Fail have put forward two candidates, neither of whom is Kieran Hartley who did Brian Crowley's job since 2014.

the full list below. the count will go on for about 2 days if lucky :)

i have narrowed mine down to:

Liadh Ní Riadh
    Mick Wallace TD
    Diarmuid O’Flynn

South
    Deirdre Clune MEP (Fine Gael)
    Seán Kelly MEP (Fine Gael)
    Andrew Doyle TD (Fine Gael)
    Malcolm Byrne (Fianna Fáil, Wexford county councillor)
    Billy Kelleher TD (Fianna Fáil)
    Liadh Ní Riadh MEP (Sinn Féin)
    Shelia Nunan (Labour)
    Mick Wallace TD (Independents4Change)
    Grace O’Sullivan (Green Party senator)
    Adrienne Wallace (Solidarity/People Before Profit)
    Jan Van de Ven (Direct Democracy Ireland)
    Peter O’Loughlin (Identity Ireland)
    Breda Gardner (Independent Kilkenny county councillor)
    Diarmuid O’Flynn (Independent, anti-bailout campaigner)
    Liam Minehan (Independent, farmer)
    Walter Ryan Purcell (Independent, tour operator)
    Theresa Heaney (Independent, homemaker)
    Paddy Fitzgerald (Independent, retired farmer)
    Dolores Cahill (Independent/Irexit Freedom to Prosper)
    Maurice Sexton (Independent, scientist)
    Allan Brennan (Independent, project manager)
    Colleen Worthington (Independent, homemaker)
    Peter Madden (Independent, environmental educator)

Max Powers wrote: »
    What you said was contradictory to the info of the time, 'from what I hear'i think was the phrase you used....in other words,more than likely BS. Your track history is similar, unsubstantiated or over negative unrealistic, unbalanced comments, whether it be about mortuary, local events, supporters clubs and their press releases you expect or cars sent to pick up people not being as new as for some reason you think they should be. The list goes on.

A quick read back will show you what I stated “there has being no closed coffin funerals attributed to this i believe.” Nothing along the lines of “'from what I hear'i think was the phrase you used”. That’s you’re problem MP you never base your opinions on fact. My posts are very much substantiated and my views on WFC and the Supporters Club have been proven right to date. have they released any statements to date yet? Again I’m not on Facebook and only twitter and I haven’t seen anything from them to date only silence.
    what have i said about local events?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

'i believe'...opinion/BS, take your pick.
    'exaggerated claims'...again nothing out there to come to that opinion when you add in the evidence contrary to that that was known.

that's just one example, it's consistent.we have seen it time and time again on here from various with unbalanced opinions and time and time again being consistently unbalanced leads to tripping up, again and again. To think you are correct on your BSC opinion is a bit deluded

here :D

go back to your bubble of nothing to see here the club are great and the BSC will remain silent and keep nodding in support. Something very similar to the CRISC and the FAI

the full list below. the count will go on for about 2 days if lucky :)

Liadh Ní Riadh
    Mick Wallace TD
    Diarmuid O’Flynn

South
    Deirdre Clune MEP (Fine Gael)
    Seán Kelly MEP (Fine Gael)
    Andrew Doyle TD (Fine Gael)
    Malcolm Byrne (Fianna Fáil, Wexford county councillor)
    Billy Kelleher TD (Fianna Fáil)
    Liadh Ní Riadh MEP (Sinn Féin)
    Shelia Nunan (Labour)
    Mick Wallace TD (Independents4Change)
    Grace O’Sullivan (Green Party senator)
    Adrienne Wallace (Solidarity/People Before Profit)
    Jan Van de Ven (Direct Democracy Ireland)
    Peter O’Loughlin (Identity Ireland)
    Breda Gardner (Independent Kilkenny county councillor)
    Diarmuid O’Flynn (Independent, anti-bailout campaigner)
    Liam Minehan (Independent, farmer)
    Walter Ryan Purcell (Independent, tour operator)
    Theresa Heaney (Independent, homemaker)
    Paddy Fitzgerald (Independent, retired farmer)
    Dolores Cahill (Independent/Irexit Freedom to Prosper)
    Maurice Sexton (Independent, scientist)
    Allan Brennan (Independent, project manager)
    Colleen Worthington (Independent, homemaker)
    Peter Madden (Independent, environmental educator)

Ní Riadh seems to have been very popular last time going for the MEP position, but I wasn't at all impressed with her Presidential bid. I thought beforehand she would be a strong contender, but in the end after seeing more of her I wasn't surprised to see her do as badly as she did.

Billy Kelleher is actually a very able politician. He's pretty much universally respected across the other parties from what I gather, and I don't think Michael Martin wanted him to go to Brussels - thinking that he needed him more at home.

It would be interesting to see what the Europeans would make of Wallace, but I'm not sure if it's a case that him and Clare Daly want to go over there and link up with Ming to really wreck heads over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Liadh Ní Riadh
    Mick Wallace TD

Why would anyone vote for either of these two. They do nothing here, why would you think they would do anything in Europe.

Give us a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Not to mention Liadh Ní Riadha is an anti-vaxxer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Give us a reason?

Mick doesn't like paying tax :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/mick-wallace-disqualified-from-involvement-in-companies-for-six-years-1.3267506
    The judge said the primary reason for disqualification was the underdeclaration of some €1.4 million VAT by the company to the Revenue between 2008 and 2010 which was “deliberate and systemic” and amounted to a “fraud on the Revenue”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/popular-td-is-a-man-of-contradictions-mick-wallace-exits-bankruptcy-819553.html
    In 2011 he was fined €7,000 for failing to pay pension contributions for his construction workers in 2008.
    He entered a €2.1m settlement with Revenue in 2012 and claimed he had only done it in a bid to save his company. However, in the wake of his bankruptcy declaration this time last year he admitted that he had failed to pay any of the 2012 settlement money over to Revenue.

Overall he seems great, an honest guy that you can trust
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Ni Riadh is scaremongering about an EU army atm. Woefully unsuitable candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

I had a chat with Andrew Power (Waterford South Ind) yesterday evening. Seems a decent man who wants to do a good job for Waterford, probably going to get my 1 unless somebody more deserving comes along.

I had a chat with Andrew Power (Waterford South Ind) yesterday evening. Seems a decent man who wants to do a good job for Waterford, probably going to get my 1 unless somebody more deserving comes along.

good on him i say. great to see young people putting themselves forward. if he was in my area he be very close to my No.1

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Hi all. Michael Doyle here. I don’t hide behind pseudonyms. Happy to identify myself. Haven’t been on this for years but it was brought to my attention so I said I’d come on for a look. Quite hilarious stuff hahaha.So I look like a Provo 😆. That’s a new one. I’ve been told I look like many people in my time but never something as simplistic as a ‘provo’.

Negative politics and a ‘know it all’. Two more good ones lol considering the nonsense that’s after being spouted about me here.

It seems all or certainly some of Cllr. Mulligans campaign team and probably Cllr. Mulligan himself is on here using this forum as a means to attack me personally. Must be doing something right. Given the feedback I’m getting, Cllr. Mulligan certainly isn’t as popular as he and his team may think.

Despite the passing of nearly 5 years, many people who voted independent in 2014 have not forgotten that their vote ended up going to FF. It has left a very sour taste in the mouths of many.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/mulligan-joins-ff/

Sure all is fair in love and war eh. The people will have their say in just over 2 weeks time and everything will settle down 😆. The electionitis will be cured.

In terms of Cllr. Shanahan, anyone who thinks that these comments from 2017 in relation to the absolutely horrible scandal which has developed in the last number of weeks in UHW in relation to the mortuary should not have been re-publicized should really re-consider their politics.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hse-accused-taking-better-care-10381885

Anyway, if any of the more reasonable people commenting on the post would ever like to sit down and discuss my politics over a tea/coffee, just give me a shout. More than happy to do so. Best of luck to all candidates also by the way. Even Cllr. Mulligan and his team 😉

good on him i say. great to see young people putting themselves forward. if he was in my area he be very close to my No.1

How young is he?

How young is he?

say he is 32 or 33

Hi all. Michael Doyle here. I don’t hide behind pseudonyms. Happy to identify myself. Haven’t been on this for years but it was brought to my attention so I said I’d come on for a look. Quite hilarious stuff hahaha.So I look like a Provo ��. That’s a new one. I’ve been told I look like many people in my time but never something as simplistic as a ‘provo’.

Negative politics and a ‘know it all’. Two more good ones lol considering the nonsense that’s after being spouted about me here.

It seems all or certainly some of Cllr. Mulligans campaign team and probably Cllr. Mulligan himself is on here using this forum as a means to attack me personally. Must be doing something right. Given the feedback I’m getting, Cllr. Mulligan certainly isn’t as popular as he and his team may think.

Despite the passing of nearly 5 years, many people who voted independent in 2014 have not forgotten that their vote ended up going to FF. It has left a very sour taste in the mouths of many.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/mulligan-joins-ff/

Sure all is fair in love and war eh. The people will have their say in just over 2 weeks time and everything will settle down ��. The electionitis will be cured.

In terms of Cllr. Shanahan, anyone who thinks that these comments from 2017 in relation to the absolutely horrible scandal which has developed in the last number of weeks in UHW in relation to the mortuary should not have been re-publicized should really re-consider their politics.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hse-accused-taking-better-care-10381885

Anyway, if any of the more reasonable people commenting on the post would ever like to sit down and discuss my politics over a tea/coffee, just give me a shout. More than happy to do so. Best of luck to all candidates also by the way. Even Cllr. Mulligan and his team ��

while your politics wouldn't be similar to mine i do agree with you in regards to Matt Shanahan and Eddie Mulligan. From previous posts you can definitely see the bots of Shanahan and Mulligan are alive and well in this thread. i can't for the life of me understand how anyone can support a health equality campaigner who voted against health equality in repealing the 8th.
    Again friends of mine are canvassing in your area for another candidate and have reported back to me the same thing about Mulligan. (i posted this previously just encase the poster MaryPowers is about) :p
    Best of luck to you. You won't be my number 1 but i will consider you for No.2 or No.3. Great to see a young face putting himself forward

• Advertisement

while your politics wouldn't be similar to mine i do agree with you in regards to Matt Shanahan and Eddie Mulligan. From previous posts you can definitely see the bots of Shanahan and Mulligan are alive and well in this thread. i can't for the life of me understand how anyone can support a health equality campaigner who voted against health equality in repealing the 8th.
    Again friends of mine are canvassing in your area for another candidate and have reported back to me the same thing about Mulligan. (i posted this previously just encase the poster MaryPowers is about) :p
    Best of luck to you. You won't be my number 1 but i will consider you for No.2 or No.3. Great to see a young face putting himself forward

Without wanting to stir something with you, I think you should make a distinction between what you describe as health equality but was actually a Referendum of the Repeal of the 8th Amendment, which permitted the Oireachtas to legislate for abortion.

Before the Repeal, the mother and unborn child had equal right to life, afterwards they did not. While it may have offered different types of equality, it also delivered inequality.

It would be very fair to describe the previous Referendum as being about Marriage Equality, as it allowed a group of society with equal access to marriage regardless of their sexual orientation.

This is a very sensitive topic and I don't think anyone wishes to debate it, but I think to be fair to Shanahan I wouldn't have an issue with the chap campaigning for one and not the other. If people disagree with his stance on either topic they can obviously vote accordingly too.

Ní Riadh seems to have been very popular last time going for the MEP position, but I wasn't at all impressed with her Presidential bid. I thought beforehand she would be a strong contender, but in the end after seeing more of her I wasn't surprised to see her do as badly as she did.

Billy Kelleher is actually a very able politician. He's pretty much universally respected across the other parties from what I gather, and I don't think Michael Martin wanted him to go to Brussels - thinking that he needed him more at home.

It would be interesting to see what the Europeans would make of Wallace, but I'm not sure if it's a case that him and Clare Daly want to go over there and link up with Ming to really wreck heads over there!

Kelleher launched a scathing attack on Liadh No Riadh about scaremongering about an EU army. And he was right to be honest. He seems like a very capable MEP

Gardner, I appreciate your response and possibility of a transfer.

Regardless of what position any candidate took on either of the major recent social referendums - marriage equality and repeal the 8th, I think it is only fair and right that the people you are asking to entrust you to be their voice should know which way you voted.

Some were vocal for and some were vocal against.

Many sat on the fence. That in my book is not good enough. Leadership should always be shown based on what you believe in.

I am not one to shy away. I am a campaigner and activist on the ground first and foremost. I display my politics on the ground and with ordinary working people through grassroots campaigns. That will always continue to be the case.

I believe I am the only candidate running in city east that actively campaigned for marriage equality, repeal the 8th, anti-water tax and raise the roof for housing provision. I have also joined others on the cardiac care demonstrations.

What has kelleher achieved in his years as a TD. Ask why is he possibly leaving the Dáil and choosing to contest Europe.

I’ve worked as Liadh Ní Riada’s budget adviser in the EUropean Parliament.

Liadh Ní Riada is a formidable candidate who stands up for Irish interests.

She will be responsible for having Irish as an official language of the EU from 2020. It currently only has a derogation. This is as a result of her going on An Stalin Teanga- language strike.

She has protected peace funding and got recognition for the GFA through amendments in the EU budget for the last two years.

She has done super work as an advocate for Irish fishermen.

She has on the cultural and education committee consistently raised about preserving Erasmus funding, free interail for 18yr olds etc.

She was lead on the file for free WiFi hotspots across the EU.

A lot of the analysis on this post seems to be very lazy with little foundation just personal attacks. Bad politics to suit agendas. I have no issue arguing politics once they are fact based.

What has kelleher achieved in his years as a TD. Ask why is he possibly leaving the Dáil and choosing to contest Europe.

I’ve worked as Liadh Ní Riada’s budget adviser in the EUropean Parliament.

Liadh Ní Riada is a formidable candidate who stands up for Irish interests.

She will be responsible for having Irish as an official language of the EU from 2020. It currently only has a derogation. This is as a result of her going on An Stalin Teanga- language strike.

She has protected peace funding and got recognition for the GFA through amendments in the EU budget for the last two years.

She has done super work as an advocate for Irish fishermen.

She has on the cultural and education committee consistently raised about preserving Erasmus funding, free interail for 18yr olds etc.

She was lead on the file for free WiFi hotspots across the EU.

A lot of the analysis on this post seems to be very lazy with little foundation just personal attacks. Bad politics to suit agendas. I have no issue arguing politics once they are fact based.

She has some disconcerting comments about vaccines for one. Then her comments about PESCO are scaremongering. Common defence cooperation is vital considering the US isolation we are seen.

I've no idea why Billy wants to leave the Daily maybe why Liadh Ni Riadh wanted to be president ?

I've not partaking in ad hominem attacks, I've just started by opinion based of things Liadh Ni Riadh has said, and by reason why I think she's unsuitable for re-election.

Liadh’s comments on vaccines were specifically concerning her own daughters situation and I believe she has since clarified those unambiguously. Her office can clarify further should you wish Liadh.niriada@europarl.europa.eu

Her concerns about Pesco are absolutely valid. Merkel, macron, guy verhofstat and others are all marching triumphantly towards the establishment of a federal European army and eventual state. Ireland has no business in this type scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Her concerns about Pesco are absolutely valid. Merkel, macron, guy verhofstat and others are all marching triumphantly towards the establishment of a federal European army and eventual state. Ireland has no business in this type scenario.

Merkel & macron are fcuked, I wouldn't be worrying about them too much

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Liadh’s comments on vaccines were specifically concerning her own daughters situation and I believe she has since clarified those unambiguously. Her office can clarify further should you wish Liadh.niriada@europarl.europa.eu

She is only slightly anti vaccination so! Other then promoting the Irish language she is opposed to everything. What will she support? No idea. Fighting for Ireland. For what, for us all to speak Irish?
    In my opinion, she missed out on a presidential pension so she wants one from Europe instead!

ah the auld pension comment. i was waiting for that :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for engaging with people here - it's very helpful I think.

One question you might be able to help me with as someone who worked with Ni Riada as her budget advisor in European parliament, would she have continued to collect her MEP wage when she would have been in Ireland working on her Presidential bid?

Ni Riada's vote in that election was 65% lower than Martin McGuinness in 2011. Ni Riada blamed this on lower voter turnout (20% lower).

Do you think that lower turnout was the reason, or do you think it was also to do with other things like being accused of 'flip flopping' on HPV vaccine, or tripping up on her claim that she takes home the average industrial wage as an MEP when she doesn't? Or might she have lost some of the Sinn Fein vote through the Poppy issue for example?

Advertisement