Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Ok I’m not getting into a long drawn out rabble rouser here. This is exactly the reason I left Boards many years ago.

If you have concerns about Liadh’s position on vaccines, I have provided an email address for you to challenge this perceived perception.

You have chosen to perceive my last response through your narrative only. I have outlined wins through language rights, fishing rights, culture and education rights and budget rights and there are many more. I’m leaving it at that 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ok I’m not getting into a long drawn out rabble rouser here. This is exactly the reason I left Boards many years ago.

If you have concerns about Liadh’s position on vaccines, I have provided an email address for you to challenge this perceived perception.

You have chosen to perceive my last response through your narrative only. I have outlined wins through language rights, fishing rights, culture and education rights and budget rights and there are many more. I’m leaving it at that 👍🏻

Thank you once again for your assistance Michael.

If you should choose to return to respond to my queries, or to engage in further debate regarding them, you'll have a captive audience here.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Thanks for engaging with people here - it's very helpful I think.

One question you might be able to help me with as someone who worked with Ni Riada as her budget advisor in European parliament, would she have continued to collect her MEP wage when she would have been in Ireland working on her Presidential bid?

Ni Riada's vote in that election was 65% lower than Martin McGuinness in 2011. Ni Riada blamed this on lower voter turnout (20% lower).

Do you think that lower turnout was the reason, or do you think it was also to do with other things like being accused of 'flip flopping' on HPV vaccine, or tripping up on her claim that she takes home the average industrial wage as an MEP when she doesn't? Or might she have lost some of the Sinn Fein vote through the Poppy issue for example?

I am more than happy to contribute and in a constructive way where I can Hardybucks. On the salary issue, the answer is no. For every MEP they have to nominate a substitute list so in the event Liadh did win the election, she would have resigned her seat to the next in line who off the top of my head I believe was either of cllrs Chris O Leary or Thomas Gould from Cork.

On the broader presidential election, a number of factors played into a poor SF performance.

1. Liadh was not Martin Mc Guinness who was loved by many and loathed by many in equal measures. He had an instantly recognisable profile regardless of why way you took him.
    2. Michael D was a hugely popular incumbent and in hindsight and despite me going out and working hard on that campaign for the party and Liadh, we never should have really considered with the membership whether we should have contested it in the first place.
    3. Liadh made mistakes. Years ago should have been much more considered on the vaccine issue. The poppy while it angered a lot of the Sinn Féin base, in that position it was the right and proper answer. Whilst I would never wear it, I would never stop anybody else wearing it. That’s what a Republic is meant to be.
    4. The salary is the salary. She does a bloody hard job that takes her away from her young family, rather than trying to skirt around she should have been much more clearer and not be ashamed to explain where her salary goes and how much she takes.

So as outlined, a number of factors played into a very poor performance but Sinn Féin learned, Liadh learned, I learned and most importantly the people did get to have their say.

All in all, post media reaction was that Liadh put in a strong personal performance and proved herself to be articulate and competent.

I tallied the election and she was getting a huge amount of no.2 votes from Michael D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I am more than happy to contribute and in a constructive way where I can Hardybucks. On the salary issue, the answer is no. For every MEP they have to nominate a substitute list so in the event Liadh did win the election, she would have resigned her seat to the next in line who off the top of my head I believe was either of cllrs Chris O Leary or Thomas Gould from Cork.

On the broader presidential election, a number of factors played into a poor SF performance.

1. Liadh was not Martin Mc Guinness who was loved by many and loathed by many in equal measures. He had an instantly recognisable profile regardless of why way you took him.
    2. Michael D was a hugely popular incumbent and in hindsight and despite me going out and working hard on that campaign for the party and Liadh, we never should have really considered with the membership whether we should have contested it in the first place.
    3. Liadh made mistakes. Years ago should have been much more considered on the vaccine issue. The poppy while it angered a lot of the Sinn Féin base, in that position it was the right and proper answer. Whilst I would never wear it, I would never stop anybody else wearing it. That’s what a Republic is meant to be.
    4. The salary is the salary. She does a bloody hard job that takes her away from her young family, rather than trying to skirt around she should have been much more clearer and not be ashamed to explain where her salary goes and how much she takes.

So as outlined, a number of factors played into a very poor performance but Sinn Féin learned, Liadh learned, I learned and most importantly the people did get to have their say.

All in all, post media reaction was that Liadh put in a strong personal performance and proved herself to be articulate and competent.

I tallied the election and she was getting a huge amount of no.2 votes from Michael D.

Thanks again Michael - I think I'd broadly agree with your responses to points 1-4.

On the MEP salary part, during the campaigning which would have lasted a few months, would she have continued to collect her salary? Or was she still attending parliament during this period?

If she continued to collect her salary as an MEP, which I think is in the region of €8,750 a month, along with general expenses allowances (€4,342) and staff budget while doing another job - is that considered ethical?

We may be getting sidetracked here but if she definitely didn't claim any MEP salary or expenses during the period I suppose it would be a short response to all of that.

Thanks again Michael - I think I'd broadly agree with your responses to points 1-4.

On the MEP salary part, during the campaigning which would have lasted a few months, would she have continued to collect her salary? Or was she still attending parliament during this period?

If she continued to collect her salary as an MEP, which I think is in the region of €8,750 a month, along with general expenses allowances (€4,342) and staff budget while doing another job - is that considered ethical?

We may be getting sidetracked here but if she definitely didn't claim any MEP salary or expenses during the period I suppose it would be a short response to all of that.

The answer is I genuinely do not know. In terms of the staff budget, her staff would have remained working doing their European Parliament duties. And simarly the office expenses. Her office operation kept going working only on EP workload. The presidential campaign was ran by the party through HQ.

So it remains about her own salary and I do not know that. What I do know is there is precedent there jean luc melenchon and marine le pen both went for French Presidency when serving MEPS and knowing how bureaucratic the EP is, I would think there are protocols in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

I love this idea that if you have a certain opinion, you must be working for someone or indeed actually be that person. I think I’ve met Eddie Milligan maybe once in my life.

Anyway, fair play to ya for joining and replying Michael. You or your party would never get a vote but I respect any man who can string sentences together and reply without fear.

I see once again you resorted to attacking others ie mulligan and Shanahan as part of your electioneering. You should stick to your own agenda because you clearly have the intelligence to back it up. No need to get obsessed with your rivals. It’s a tad embarrassing tbh

DLS_75 wrote: »
    I love this idea that if you have a certain opinion, you must be working for someone or indeed actually be that person. I think I’ve met Eddie Milligan maybe once in my life.

Anyway, fair play to ya for joining and replying Michael. You or your party would never get a vote but I respect any man who can string sentences together and reply without fear.

I see once again you resorted to attacking others ie mulligan and Shanahan as part of your electioneering. You should stick to your own agenda because you clearly have the intelligence to back it up. No need to get obsessed with your rivals. It’s a tad embarrassing tbh

I appreciate the sentiments and you’d never know. Maybe some day ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I think it's beneficial for a politician to have a social media presence. So cheers for joining the discussion Michael.

Look at John Deasy, how the hell do we know what he's up to?

Thanks for that. I’m active on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter and am more than happy to engage. Hopefully my social media strategy is ok. That’s what it’s sll about. Feel free to add me on any of the platforms.

Email: mdoylesinnfein@gmail.com,
    MichaelDoyleSinnFein – Twitter,
    mickdoylesf – Instagram,
    MDoyleSF – Facebook

Why is the Williamstown development being opposed?

Anybody have any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Why is the Williamstown development being opposed?

Anybody have any idea?

Poor public transport links
    A lack of decent traffic management system(700 extra cars)
    High rise development overshadows peoples houses
    Schools and amenities are lacking;
    This is what I’ve heard in the last few weeks anyway. I haven’t lived out that side of the city in 15 years, it was chaotic then, I can only imagine what it’s like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Blue Dreamer, what about the state of the road that you live on in Grange Manor. These are the sort of things that a councillor sorts out and it's not a good advertisement to have your big poster in your garden less than 10 metres away from that shambles.
    I am looking to vote someone who is proactive, not someone who just criticizes others.
    Davy Daniels will be getting my number one vote as he sorted a problem out for my estate that is quite similar to what I am talking about above.

The last time this problem was filled, it was myself who got it filled through one of our other councillors.

I’ve highlighted this issue consistently through current representatives but without progress. The answer coming back I’ve been told is that the budget is spent.

I have to take that at face value until I hopefully get elected. Then I’m absolutely open to criticism. For the time being, the council will not deal with me personally until I have a mandate.

Considering my family and neighbours are living on that road and haven’t raised it, it does seem a little disingenuous for it to be raised by someone not even living on the rd.

Having looked a t Cllr. Mulligans page, it is nothing but a veiled attack but I am used to them 😃. The people will have their say on May 24th.

To friendly fun, the scale of what is proposed has been opposed by the residents and neighboring estates. They are very much open and indeed want the site developed but not including 4 storey apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

I see Cllr Mulligan is in a bit of bother regarding his leaflet that states he has the support of local media on certain issues (source WLR 8am news). think i said this a few weeks ago ( check it out Mary Powers sory MaxPower)

Wonder what my favourite local reporter has to say on this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Fair play to you Blue Dreamer, I am not one to vote for your party but your responses here might change my mind!

Just received a text from a friend to say Matt Shanahan admitted on WLR today that he voted No to Repealing the 8th. i don't listen to WLR so does anyone confirm this or have a link?
    if true it is a disgrace that a Health equality campaigner voted No to health equality of woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gardner wrote: »
    Just received a text from a friend to say Matt Shanahan admitted on WLR today that he voted No to Repealing the 8th. i don't listen to WLR so does anyone confirm this or have a link?
    if true it is a disgrace that a Health equality campaigner voted No to health equality of woman!

maybe you ll find a recording here

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    maybe you ll find a recording here

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford

what an absolute spoofer of a man! he will be another Eddie Mulligan and jump ship to a party.

Gardner wrote: »
    what an absolute spoofer of a man! he will be another Eddie Mulligan and jump ship to a party.

Does Eddie owe ya money or something?

• Advertisement

Independent Matt Shanahan, Sinn Féin's Michael Doyle, and Fianna Fáil's Eddie Mulligan talk to Damien Tiernan on Deise Today.

I don’t agree with most of Michael Doyle’s politics. I disagree with some of his tactics but you have to give credit. He’s the best “politician” in that studio.

I don’t agree with most of Michael Doyle’s politics. I disagree with some of his tactics but you have to give credit. He’s the best “politician” in that studio.

He's miles ahead of the rest of the Sinn Féin councillors in Waterford imo. Haven't heard the mind of intelligent conversation coming from Griffin or Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I saw a poster from a female Sinn Fein candidate yesterday emblazoned with the tagline 'fighting for you' - which I thought was a bit unfortunate and poorly chosen.

Every time I see one of those posters with that stupid tagline, this is all that comes to mind

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cruncher88

He's miles ahead of the rest of the Sinn Féin councillors in Waterford imo. Haven't heard the mind of intelligent conversation coming from Griffin or Fitzgerald

He's the best councillor in his ward by far. Definitely should top his poll. Pat Fitz could struggle after the repeal the 8th picture too. Cllr Mulligan can wave goodbye to his seat after switching to FF.

John Hearne should top his poll if Breda Brennan doesn't pip him on the line. I think Jason Murphy and John Cummins could be in trouble for their seats from the independents such as Donal Barry and Andrew Power.

Cruncher88 wrote: »
    He's the best councillor in his ward by far. Definitely should top his poll. Pat Fitz could struggle after the repeal the 8th picture too. Cllr Mulligan can wave goodbye to his seat after switching to FF.

John Hearne should top his poll if Breda Brennan doesn't pip him on the line. I think Jason Murphy and John Cummins could be in trouble for their seats from the independents such as Donal Barry and Andrew Power.

Lol. Shinbot alert. At the next meeting you should pay attention when they mention the fact that Doyle is not a councillor yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cruncher88

Lol. Shinbot alert. At the next meeting you should pay attention when they mention the fact that Doyle is not a councillor yet.

I have no aliegence to any political party.

Obviously I touched a nerve when I mentioned that Cllr. Mulligan will just be Mr.Mulligan in two weeks time.

Just can't put faith into someone after they jump ship like that.

Genuinely think Adam Wyse could wave goodbye to his seat too. Interesting few weeks ahead...

The most ludicrous thing about this forum is when you say someone does good work, you’re automatically assumed to be either that person or that person’s mother or something.

I read the election based on the work I think each councillor has done. You think Doyle is the “best councillor in the ward by far” and he’s not even a councillor yet. Your credibility is down the sink.

Wyse doesn’t deserve his seat cause he’s lazy. Shanahan doesn’t deserve the seat because he’s a one issue candidate and won’t achieve much on that one issue in a council. Pat Fitz deserves to hold his seat out there imo.

Just a recap of the above, I’m almost certain this is the final field?

Waterford City East (6 Seats)

Michael Doyle SF
    Fiona Dowd FG
    Councillor Eddie Mulligan FF
    Councillor Matt Shanahan IND
    Michael Garland IND
    Councillor Adam Wyse FF
    Lee Walsh IND
    Councillor Pat Fitzgerald SF
    Councillor Davy Daniels IND
    Councillor Sharon Carey FG
    Jody Power Greens

As stated previously, Davy Daniels will hold his seat. FF, SF and FG are guaranteed 1 seat each. The rest is a mine field! If I was to make a prediction and in order:
    Davy Daniels IND
    Michael Doyle SF
    Fiona Dowd FG
    Pat Fitzgerald SF
    Adam Wyse FF
    Eddie Mulligan FF / Michael Garland IND /Matt Shanahan IND

First out will be Lee Walsh. He will be lucky to break the 200 vote mark just like his auld lad the last time. his transfers the last time went to Ind candidates and Michael Garland should benefit here and most likely Matt Shanahan with the No vote transfer from Repeal.
    Sharon Carey will be lucky to get near 3-400 votes. When Tom Cunningham was eliminated the last time the main % of transfers went to other FG candidates and next to Ind. O’Dowd should be home and dry here.
    Likewise with Jody Power, his transfer will go anywhere! Pure minefield with a Green vote with no historical data available.
    Garland was Mulligans director of elections last time and Eddie polled under 600 votes as an Independent and FF are still toxic so he will be doing well to poll 600 again. This will go down to the wire. It will all come down to who is the final IND eliminated as the transfers will get that person across the line.

I think Doyle will poll very well. John Halligan’s candidate Neil White isn’t running and be got 405 votes, PBP don’t have a candidate and polled 179 votes while Labour also have no candidate and Jack Walsh polled 376 votes. I think Doyle will pick up the vast majority of these votes as their principally votes of the left and the core SF vote as Pat Fitz pissed off a lot of internal SF members and supporters by voting no to repealing the 8th.

Just on the above and for the benefit of People the following we know voted yes or no to Repealing the 8th.

Michael Doyle SF - YES
    Fiona Dowd FG - UNKNOWN
    Councillor Eddie Mulligan FF - YES
    Councillor Matt Shanahan IND - NO
    Michael Garland IND - YES
    Councillor Adam Wyse FF - YES
    Lee Walsh IND -NO
    Councillor Pat Fitzgerald SF - NO
    Councillor Davy Daniels IND - YES
    Councillor Sharon Carey FG -UNKNOWN
    Jody Power Greens - UNKNOWN

• Advertisement

I really don’t see what the 8th amendment has to do with the local elections. What has your opinion about abortion got to do with how fast you can get a pothole filled?

Advertisement