Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

DLS_75 wrote: »
    I really don’t see what the 8th amendment has to do with the local elections. What has your opinion about abortion got to do with how fast you can get a pothole filled?

And I don’t see what it had to do with local councilors, but a group of them felt they had to have a photo call and back a side as a group. That side happened to be defeated, so they shouldn’t be surprised of a backlash at the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Gardner wrote: »
    Just a recap of the above, I’m almost certain this is the final field?

Waterford City East (6 Seats)

Michael Doyle SF
    Fiona Dowd FG
    Councillor Eddie Mulligan FF
    Councillor Matt Shanahan IND
    Michael Garland IND
    Councillor Adam Wyse FF
    Lee Walsh IND
    Councillor Pat Fitzgerald SF
    Councillor Davy Daniels IND
    Councillor Sharon Carey FG
    Jody Power Greens

As stated previously, Davy Daniels will hold his seat. FF, SF and FG are guaranteed 1 seat each. The rest is a mine field! If I was to make a prediction and in order:
    Davy Daniels IND
    Michael Doyle SF
    Fiona Dowd FG
    Pat Fitzgerald SF
    Adam Wyse FF
    Eddie Mulligan FF / Michael Garland IND /Matt Shanahan IND

First out will be Lee Walsh. He will be lucky to break the 200 vote mark just like his auld lad the last time. his transfers the last time went to Ind candidates and Michael Garland should benefit here and most likely Matt Shanahan with the No vote transfer from Repeal.
    Sharon Carey will be lucky to get near 3-400 votes. When Tom Cunningham was eliminated the last time the main % of transfers went to other FG candidates and next to Ind. O’Dowd should be home and dry here.
    Likewise with Jody Power, his transfer will go anywhere! Pure minefield with a Green vote with no historical data available.
    Garland was Mulligans director of elections last time and Eddie polled under 600 votes as an Independent and FF are still toxic so he will be doing well to poll 600 again. This will go down to the wire. It will all come down to who is the final IND eliminated as the transfers will get that person across the line.

I think Doyle will poll very well. John Halligan’s candidate Neil White isn’t running and be got 405 votes, PBP don’t have a candidate and polled 179 votes while Labour also have no candidate and Jack Walsh polled 376 votes. I think Doyle will pick up the vast majority of these votes as their principally votes of the left and the core SF vote as Pat Fitz pissed off a lot of internal SF members and supporters by voting no to repealing the 8th.

Just on the above and for the benefit of People the following we know voted yes or no to Repealing the 8th.

Michael Doyle SF - YES
    Fiona Dowd FG - UNKNOWN
    Councillor Eddie Mulligan FF - YES
    Councillor Matt Shanahan IND - NO
    Michael Garland IND - YES
    Councillor Adam Wyse FF - YES
    Lee Walsh IND -NO
    Councillor Pat Fitzgerald SF - NO
    Councillor Davy Daniels IND - YES
    Councillor Sharon Carey FG -UNKNOWN
    Jody Power Greens - UNKNOWN

Lee Walsh is quite possibly the worst candidate I've seen so far, him and Pat Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

And I don’t see what it had to do with local councilors, but a group of them felt they had to have a photo call and back a side as a group. That side happened to be defeated, so they shouldn’t be surprised of a backlash at the polls.

I think you need to be careful there because huge numbers of citizens also organised themselves into groups that did a lot more than pose for photos.

You have a group of people here basically applying for a number of jobs that have become available, and the selection process here is getting our votes.

You wouldn't be best pleased if someone who was in charge of a selection process for a job you were applying for took a look at your social media account, didn't agree with your views on recent referenda, and decided to hold it against you.

The most objective here is to assess the candidates in line with the job they're actually applying for.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think you need to be careful there because huge numbers of citizens also organised themselves into groups that did a lot more than pose for photos.

You have a group of people here basically applying for a number of jobs that have become available, and the selection process here is getting our votes.

You wouldn't be best pleased if someone who was in charge of a selection process for a job you were applying for took a look at your social media account, didn't agree with your views on recent referenda, and decided to hold it against you.

The most objective here is to assess the candidates in line with the job they're actually applying for.

Perhaps it’s the optics of this particular photo that didn’t sit right, a group of all men,taking a stance together on the referendum against what is essentially women’s choice. How can they have believed this was a good idea?However, whilst I do believe that there’s a dearth of conservative views in Irish politics, the council isn’t the place to be jumping on one bandwagon or the other from either end of the political spectrum.
    I find it just as odious when others come out in favour of repeal just to score brownie points. I’m more interested in what a councilor can do at local level, not if they’re a sjw. Give me something substantial like where are you on property tax rises, playgrounds, footpaths, rates etc?

Perhaps it’s the optics of this particular photo that didn’t sit right, a group of all men,taking a stance together on the referendum against what is essentially women’s choice. How can they have believed this was a good idea?However, whilst I do believe that there’s a dearth of conservative views in Irish politics, the council isn’t the place to be jumping on one bandwagon or the other from either end of the political spectrum.
    I find it just as odious when others come out in favour of repeal just to score brownie points. I’m more interested in what a councilor can do at local level, not if they’re a sjw. Give me something substantial like where are you on property tax rises, playgrounds, footpaths, rates etc?

And you'll be aware that they replicated a photo of Fianna Fail TDs organised and coordinated by our own Mary Butler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

I've not gotten a chance to get back here over the last few days. It's great to see that there has been a positive reaction following the debate. it is even more pleasing to see positive comments from contributors who admit their politics would not be Sinn Féin.

I will do my best over the next few days to try and bring this over the line and secure a seat.

I am under no illusion that it is only then the hard work will start.

I am passionate about Waterford and our City and County. I am even more passionate about people, their rights and delivering a balanced and fair society where everyone can contribute positively.

Waterford is in a very positive place at the minute with many progressive developments planned over the medium term. I want to play my part in delivering the best possible input into these developments and ensuring everyone prospers. We can be leaders in delivering high quality sustainable jobs that can drive on the economy. We also need to make sure that the North Quays delivers a huge tourism bonanza also. We can make Waterford a go to destination in Ireland. We have everything here. Let's utilise it.

No point in re-running the referendum though it should not be forgotten when people are going to cast their vote. What that picture showed was that Waterford Council is not reflective of broader Waterford society. Too many male socially conservative and ordinarily seasoned 'politicians' were not in touch with their electorate. Waterford returned one of the highest yes votes outside of Dublin. So absolutely, voters should be choosing candidates whom they believe think socially and indeed economically like themselves.

I hope the electorate do choose younger candidates and indeed more female candidates also and make our council more reflective from an age and gender point of view.

And you'll be aware that they replicated a photo of Fianna Fail TDs organised and coordinated by our own Mary Butler.

Can’t recall that at all tbh. Goes to show how unpopular the lads photo was.

Can’t recall that at all tbh. Goes to show how unpopular the lads photo was.

I can guarantee you the lads photo wasn't seen or remembered anywhere outside of Waterford.

On the other hand, Mary Butler's crusade was national news. The huge proportion of FF TDs who share her views, regardless of their age, gender balance or what constituency they represent is a window into the conservative heart of Fianna Fail.

Anyway if these are your views now don't forget to stick it to Mary when the general election comes around next.

Anyway if these are your views now don't forget to stick it to Mary when the general election comes around next.

I wouldn’t entertain Mary at my front door as she has done nothing for Waterford. Have no problem with tds espousing their views and believe we should have more free voting in the Dail. The thrust of my point was that national issues that have no bearing on how a city runs don’t belong in council politics and I think it was unnecessary for a group of men in the council to come out together and nail their colors to the mast. Perhaps a more guarded approach might have been better advised.
    Afaik Blaise hannigan and Joe Conway haven’t given an either or view on the repeal vote and I don’t really care to know. Pity more local politicians weren’t the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I don't agree with your analogy there. As soon as they assembled for that photo they made it political.
    I think in that instance people have a right, if they so choose, to let that influence their vote for them.

I'm all for politicians having every right to have their private life separate to their public life (something that is eroding in modern day politics, sadly), but when a group of politicians get together like that they are making a public statement. That's not the same as scrolling through someone's social media account to see what they've been up to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Lol. Shinbot alert. At the next meeting you should pay attention when they mention the fact that Doyle is not a councillor yet.

He's not a councillor yet people a few pages back said he should have fixed the potholes /footpaths in Grange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I can guarantee you the lads photo wasn't seen or remembered anywhere outside of Waterford.

You're wrong there because it went viral and it was discussed at length on a number of national parenting sites as well as on the UK site Mumsnet that has millions of posters. Even now people are discussing who they'll vote for and the Waterford councillors in that photo are being discussed in a very negative way.

deisemum wrote: »
    You're wrong there because it went viral and it was discussed at length on a number of national parenting sites as well as on the UK site Mumsnet that has millions of posters. Even now people are discussing who they'll vote for and the Waterford councillors in that photo are being discussed in a very negative way.

What's viral? Did it make national news?

The point was that the group copied a photo in Dublin organised by a Waterford woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

What's viral? Did it make national news?

The point was that the group copied a photo in Dublin organised by a Waterford woman.

Who cares if it made national news(it did). They represent waterford. And in my opinion they did damage to waterford by showing how out of touch our elected officals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Who cares if it made national news(it did). They represent waterford. And in my opinion they did damage to waterford by showing how out of touch our elected officals are.

I’m not so sure about that. A lot of politicians such as Fianna Fail’s leader, simple stuck his finger in the air to see which way the wind was blowing. Harris did the same. Politicians who were definitely anti-abortion in the past changes to suit the where the majority were thinking. I think a lot of these politicians just happen to be dinosaurs and party puppets but I respect the fact that they stuck with their principles

Not sure about how much if any damage to waterfords image was done, but I’m sick of councilors putting their oar in on issues that don’t affect their constituents and that they have relative power over. Sick of councils not working for their constituents like DCC flying the Palestinian flag; nothing to do with them or Galway council supporting a boycott of Eurovision; ridiculous. Get to the business of rates, footpaths, local housing, recreational areas, environment, lpt, traffic etc. I’ll be voting for whoever I feel wants to be engaged most in these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

So guys I am wondering I see at least 2 candidates in the city are running in 2 areas. What happens if they get elected in both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

crazydude wrote: »
    So guys I am wondering I see at least 2 candidates in the city are running in 2 areas. What happens if they get elected in both?

Who's running in 2 areas?

Brendan Bryne is running in City South & Tramore/City West
    Melissa O'Neill is running in Tramore/City West & Piltown (Co. Kilkenny)

This is a great website which breaks down the council budgets around the country. localauthorityfinances.com/spending

Waterford City and County Council has a budget of €136.7m or €1,176 per person.

This is about 17% more than Wexford for example, which is a bigger county with a larger population, but also a much higher (20-30%) higher spend per head of population seen in other counties in the south east.

Nationally, Waterford seems to spend significantly more on pretty much every subhead listed except housing and Traveller Housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

crazydude wrote: »

Hah, I was wondering the same thing myself, it doesn’t seem to make any sense at all

Hah, I was wondering the same thing myself, it doesn’t seem to make any sense at all

You'd imagine that they'd need to take the position in the area where they had the highest proportion of the vote.

You'd imagine that they'd need to take the position in the area where they had the highest proportion of the vote.

OK but what then happens the seat they don't take?

But I love to know the actual rules here?

And I also think it is very disrespectful to voters in both areas to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Good to see Breda Brennan out canvasing yesterday evening. Very approachable and seems to be very dedicated to her role and to the people she is representing. Spent plenty of time chatting and listening to me - Number 1 vote for me! (and no I am in no way affiliated to any party!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cruncher88

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Good to see Breda Brennan out canvasing yesterday evening. Very approachable and seems to be very dedicated to her role and to the people she is representing. Spent plenty of time chatting and listening to me - Number 1 vote for me! (and no I am in no way affiliated to any party!)

Definitely getting my No.1 too.

She is the best of the SF candidates in her area.

I think it was only last week she called into my house in John's Park!

Cruncher88 wrote: »
    Definitely getting my No.1 too.

She is the best of the SF candidates in her area.

I think it was only last week she called into my house in John's Park!

Full engaged in the conversation and not in a rush to get to the next door. She took everything I said on board - even though I told her I was voting for someone else :D I was joking by the way - i would never vote FF / FG!!

Full engaged in the conversation and not in a rush to get to the next door. She took everything I said on board - even though I told her I was voting for someone else :D I was joking by the way - i would never vote FF / FG!!

Did any other candidate knock at your door?

Haven't seen any FF, FG or Labour candidates at all.

Donal Barry, Sean Reinhardt and Andrew Power are the only Independents that have called!

Cruncher88 wrote: »
    Did any other candidate knock at your door?

Haven't seen any FF, FG or Labour candidates at all.

Donal Barry, Sean Reinhardt and Andrew Power are the only Independents that have called!

I haven't been at home much when they were calling - lots of ****e through the door, not many actually knocked on the door as far as I know or maybe the kids just took their ****e from them.

I'm in Avondale by the way - originally from St. John's Park.

Had a good chat with Andrew Power alright - nice lad and very receptive to anything I had to say - will definitely give him a number 2 / 3 -

Donal Barry, I know and worth a vote as well - definitely one of us and a good guy in it for the good of us ordinary folk.

I have had no interaction with Sean Reinhardt.

I'm not voting for parties - may consider giving my number 1 to an independent but only if I know Breda Brennan is going to get in.

I haven't been at home much when they were calling - lots of ****e through the door, not many actually knocked on the door as far as I know or maybe the kids just took their ****e from them.

Had a good chat with Andrew Power alright - nice lad and very receptive to anything I had to say - will definitely give him a number 2 / 3 -

Donal Barry, I know and worth a vote as well - definitely one of us and a good guy in it for the good of us ordinary folk.

I'm not voting for parties - may consider giving my number 1 to an independent but only if I know Breda Brennan is going to get in.

I'm not taking a chance anyway. That's what the 2,3 and 4 vote's are for ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

How do ye reckon that ward will shape up? I presume Hearne and Brennan are bankers and Séamus Ryan has a very good chance of reclaiming his seat. Are the independents strong enough to trouble Murphy & Cummins?

Advertisement