Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diners at Ramen. Please do the right thing...

Options
  • 11-04-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Ask for metal cutlery instead of using the single-use plastic cutlery provided at the tables. Metal cutlery is readily available when requested.

There really is no excuse for providing plastic in the restaurant.
    Don't be duped by "Oh, they're bio-degradable" .

And if you're active in the Twitter-sphere you could let them know they ought to change their current lazy, thought-less policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Or even better, don't go to Ramen in the first place. Go somewhere with decent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Mardyke wrote: »
    Or even better, don't go to Ramen in the first place. Go somewhere with decent food.

Iv never once been dissapointed leaving Ramen, for a chain I find it to be brilliant and the portions are huge so I usually get lunch out of it the next day aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do they actually sell ramen yet? What a dumb name...

I found all the stir-fry dishes tasted the same, just with different noodles. It got boring quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I found all the stir-fry dishes tasted the same, just with different noodles. It got boring quickly.

Their Pad Thai is consistently the same, and very nice.
    Everything else tastes different from day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

.red. wrote: »
    Their Pad Thai is consistently the same, and very nice.
    Everything else tastes different from day to day.

Only problem is it doesn't taste (or look) like actual Pad Thai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

CHealy wrote: »
    Iv never once been dissapointed leaving Ramen, for a chain I find it to be brilliant and the portions are huge so I usually get lunch out of it the next day aswell.
    Agree on the portions, they are very generous. Ramen is pretty good, reviews are generally quite favorable. 6before6 can be great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Fans of Ramen might enjoy their dining experience even more with some "proper" cutlery instead of the cheap flimsy plastic junk.
    Bon appetite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Didnt think it was great when I was there. Its incredibly bland food! I actually went there first with a craving for Ramen not knowing the menu before hand. Id say half the people go for the free ice cream lol

How stupid was I to assume a place called Ramen, didnt serve Ramen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Same with McDonald's. Incredible amount of packaging comes with your meal...

What about using the chopsticks though?

• Advertisement

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Same with McDonald's. Incredible amount of packaging comes with your meal...

It's a lot better than it used to be - it's all paper based except for the drinks, and they've moved to paper straws. Many local chippers still use single-use polystyrene for a lot of packaging, which is terrible in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Strange post, why single out Ramen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Strange post, why single out Ramen?

To be fair its not that common for restaurants to provide single use cutlery. Whatever about takeaways but theres no reason for a sit in restaurant to use single use cutlery to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

mccard wrote: »
    Only problem is it doesn't taste (or look) like actual Pad Thai.

I've had proper Pad Thai and yes, the ramen version(and anywhere in cork I've had it) is like a different dish altogether.
    I still think it's the best thing in there tho, for flavour and consistency!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

6 before 6 is great value to be fair when you couldn't be arsed cooking but don't fancy a chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Fans of Ramen might enjoy their dining experience even more with some "proper" cutlery instead of the cheap flimsy plastic junk.
    Bon appetite!

You have great charisma.

mada82 wrote: »
    You have great charisma.

How kind of you say. I have completed all the courses.
    But no Twitter account to take my objections to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What about using the chopsticks though?

I find chopsticks handier than knives and forks for Asian food anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Lana bring your food in the takeaway boxes to your table which I just don't understand. So much waste.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Lana bring your food in the takeaway boxes to your table which I just don't understand. So much waste.

Yes, that too. And a single segment of lime served in its own plastic tub. Why not just stick it in the food carton! The assembly line can't accommodate any variation.

I thought I'd pick my battles and focus on the obvious, easiest to fix, with most benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Ask for metal cutlery instead of using the single-use plastic cutlery provided at the tables. Metal cutlery is readily available when requested.

There really is no excuse for providing plastic in the restaurant.
    Don't be duped by "Oh, they're bio-degradable" .

And if you're active in the Twitter-sphere you could let them know they ought to change their current lazy, thought-less policy.

I wish I could pat you on the back, but I guess you are doing it for me.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    I wish I could pat you on the back, but I guess you are doing it for me.

Thanks but praise undeserved. No effort on my part and I actually prefer decent cutlery.
    Now if I were to make a few placards or chain myself to the ice-cream machine in protest... that might be praise-worthy - or just a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

I find chopsticks handier than knives and forks for Asian food anyway.

Might feel more Asian to use chopsticks, but Thais almost always use forks and spoons. Same goes for Cambodians IIRC. You see more chopsticks in Vietnam all right, but I couldn't work out if that was a Vietnamese thing or just a reflection of the insane number of Chinese tourists there, bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

cantalach wrote: »
    ..but I couldn't work out if that was a Vietnamese thing or just a reflection of the insane number of Chinese tourists there, bless them.

A great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

From their Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/RamenIreland/photos/a.238762929623670/1180780802088540/?type=3&theater

58724759_1180780805421873_820107585511227392_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=418e373d451e72757f60be8432e59e39&oe=5D72DDE0

Why not make it the default for food to come in a bowl (like everywhere else...) :confused:

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Why not make it the default for food to come in a bowl (like everywhere else...) :confused:

Because they are meant to be "street food" and a walk up and walk away type model

Pen Rua wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/RamenIreland/photos/a.238762929623670/1180780802088540/?type=3&theater

Good News! Some progress.
    I noticed two weeks ago the tub of metal cutlery was now placed on the main counter. No need to request your eatin' irons.
    Next step .. put them right on the dining tables.

I actually saw another group use metal when I was there. I felt like congratulating them. A couple of parents giving the right example.

Another good reason to avoid the plastic: Children playing with them, making sculptures and then putting them back in the tub. Blech!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

But they use leaf biodegradable plastic. Sure that's grand so. Honestly though, the plastic forks and knifes are ridicous for peopel eating in and how hard is it to put the fiod into bowls than those takeaway boxes? Surely it wouldn't be extra effort to do so? It's such a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

A trendy place to eat for 20 somethings. Their queues can be brutal at Victoria Cross. It has the same vibe as Starbucks, they even shout out your name when your takeaway’s ready.

• Advertisement

It's trendy for people with little interest in food, I guess? The type of people who eat noodles with a knife and fork :p

Advertisement