Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diners at Ramen. Please do the right thing...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Good News! Some progress.
    I noticed two weeks ago the tub of metal cutlery was now placed on the main counter. No need to request your eatin' irons.
    Next step .. put them right on the dining tables.

I actually saw another group use metal when I was there. I felt like congratulating them. A couple of parents giving the right example.

Another good reason to avoid the plastic: Children playing with them, making sculptures and then putting them back in the tub. Blech!

That's just poor parenting. You can play with metal cutlery too. Most people aren't dirty scumbags and wouldn't allow their kids to entertain themselves using cutlery other people will be using to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

To be fair, Ramen is pretty good. I'm glad they're getting rid of the unnecessary paper containers for eat-in as it doesn't make any sense.

I find them a fairly decent alternative to sandwiches and fast food. If you pick a good dish it's mostly just fresh vegetables and tofu or meat and you don't have to pick something drowned in sauce or overdo the rice.

I'm coeliac so the likes of Ramen opens up a whole load of relatively cheap eat out options for me that don't involve having to pick the green salad or soup with no bread.

They're not really much more than fast food but there a whole lot healthier than the older alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Reporting some welcome progress.
    - Plastic cutlery has been replaced by wooden cutlery.
    - Food served in a bowl, not in a take-away carton.

I saw two groups of diners using metal cutlery. That's a record!
    Wooden is still wasteful of course. What's the problem with washing cutlery?
    But realistically, I don't expect any further improvement.
    (Oddly, wooden cutlery is a worse dining experience that the previous plastic. I expect some customer will demand the return of the plastic.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Reporting some welcome progress.
    - Plastic cutlery has been replaced by wooden cutlery.
    - Food served in a bowl, not in a take-away carton.

I saw two groups of diners using metal cutlery. That's a record!
    Wooden is still wasteful of course. What's the problem with washing cutlery?
    But realistically, I don't expect any further improvement.
    (Oddly, wooden cutlery is a worse dining experience that the previous plastic. I expect some customer will demand the return of the plastic.)

To be fair thats a fairly good improvement for them to make. Im impressed by it as its clearly a response to their customers requests.

Kudos to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For €6 its grand, beats a sambo but its not worth anymore. For €10 to €12 for a main, Soba or Koto beats it hands down.
    I do enjoy the ice cream though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Era look to be fair its not selling itself as a top end Asian food restaurant. I always thought of Ramen as the McDonalds of Asian / Thai cuisine.

I always enjoy the Thai green curry or the Massaman. Its tasty but quality can vary between locations. I always thought the one in Douglas was consistently good. Unlike the one on Anglesea street which usually has watery curry laden with huge chunks of cabbage.

The 6 before 6 is unreal value if you can bear the queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The 6 before 6 is fantastic value, dinner and lunch from it. Tasty out too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

CosmicFool wrote: »
    But they use leaf biodegradable plastic. Sure that's grand so. Honestly though, the plastic forks and knifes are ridicous for peopel eating in and how hard is it to put the fiod into bowls than those takeaway boxes? Surely it wouldn't be extra effort to do so? It's such a waste.

Portion Control is the reason for serving in the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

cantalach wrote: »
    Might feel more Asian to use chopsticks, but Thais almost always use forks and spoons. Same goes for Cambodians IIRC. You see more chopsticks in Vietnam all right, but I couldn't work out if that was a Vietnamese thing or just a reflection of the insane number of Chinese tourists there, bless them.

Thais most certainly do use chopsticks. It's chopsticks for noodle dishes and fork/spoon for rice dishes, especially curries.

Is it just a standard portion or is it extra big or somthing if you get two meals? Id always finish a full meal in ramen (and soba etc), often would share a starter and have prawn crackers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Is it just a standard portion or is it extra big or somthing if you get two meals? Id always finish a full meal in ramen (and soba etc), often would share a starter and have prawn crackers too.

I'd say it's at least 1.5 if not 2 times the 'normal/recommend' portion size.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You must not have much of an appetite if you can get 2 meals out of it. Just about does me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Portions are big, but it's the least flavoursome Asian food I've come across to be honest. Have tried it in cork and limerick and neither were very good.

kingtut wrote: »
    I'd say it's at least 1.5 if not 2 times the 'normal/recommend' portion size.

I wouldn’t pay much heed to “recommended” portion sizes, they are far too small for most people. I’d starve if I was only eating them tiny portions, they might do as a starter that’s about it.

Advertisement