Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace garage with larger one?

Options
  • 11-04-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

we've put an offer on a house in south Dublin, and it was built with a small garage /utility (ext ~ 7m x 3.4m) finished approximately the same as the house. Image uploaded.

The wife is getting the house she wants, and I'd like to get the garage I want, so I'm looking to roughly cost what rebuilding the garage much bigger would cost.

I'd apply for planning permission as soon as we close, looking at DLR planning applications in the area, only separate dwelling applications were turned down, pretty much all the extensions etc were approved.

The hope would be to build a garage 5m wide by 8m long, with a higher apex, maybe 3.5-4m with the same pitched roof, and to retain the same appearance and proportions from the front of the house view, as a number of houses in the development have a similar garage and I don't want to upset the new neighbours or the planning man.
    In order to fit on the site, which is large, the garage would need to move back about 3 metres, but would still start in line with the house, and come out a good bit proud of it at the back. There's still lots of garden though.
    I've done really primitive before and after sketches to scale (1:100).

Anyway, I'd need an extended slab, re-routing of the electricity and water connections, a lot more roof, and depending on whether the old bricks could be reused (for appearance rather than cost-saving, necessarily). And a decent lot of labour too.
    I'd like to reuse the same front door, for consistency, but add another rear-facing door (which faces south) that I could open on days I was using it to allow light in so I could work without showing the whole world my project(s).
    Plan would be to take down existing structure myself to save cost. Don't care about insulation, but it'd need to be weatherproof. I can plaster it myself later if I cared.

Any idea what sort of money this might cost? If it looks like €50k, it'll never happen but if it could be done for half that or less, it might get past SWMBO.

Advertisement