Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area suggestions

Options
  • 12-04-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys

So I have been living in Dublin around 3 years but looking to move out of the area. I want to buy a property and with the house prices in Dublin the way they are I don't want to buy here.

I want to live somewhere not forever away from Dublin so I can visit friends, somewhere still sort of happening and not too in the middle of nowhere as I'm not allowed to drive. So far I have come up with Kildare as that ticks all the boxes. But I am wondering if there are other Kildare like places I could consider rather than having all my eggs in one basket?

Thank you 🀗

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Navan, bettystown, ashbourne and dunshaughlin (although that’s gone pricey these days). It depends what side of motor way your working on as well.

Kildare is great, naas is a lovely spot.

Hi guys

So I have been living in Dublin around 3 years but looking to move out of the area. I want to buy a property and with the house prices in Dublin the way they are I don't want to buy here.

I want to live somewhere not forever away from Dublin so I can visit friends, somewhere still sort of happening and not too in the middle of nowhere as I'm not allowed to drive. So far I have come up with Kildare as that ticks all the boxes. But I am wondering if there are other Kildare like places I could consider rather than having all my eggs in one basket?

Thank you 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LittleNicky86

bri007 wrote: »
    Navan, bettystown, ashbourne and dunshaughlin (although that’s gone pricey these days). It depends what side of motor way your working on as well.

Thank you so much for those suggestions i will check them out. I work from home so it doesn't matter too much I just need a decent public transport network to and from Dublin when required. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not sure of your budget... but Greystones or Bray, both on the dart line & easy access to Dublin. North Wicklow is a great compromise, but can be equally as expensive as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Best of luck with it.
    Thank you so much for those suggestions i will check them out. I work from home so it doesn't matter too much I just need a decent public transport network to and from Dublin when required. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Maynooth is a good town with a decent social scene about it due to the University there. Lots of students which could be a blessing or a curse depending on your view. Its also on the train line with trains every half hour in and out.

Leixlip is similar but wouldn't have the same social scene as Maynooth. Its so close to Maynooth though it may not matter. Very easy to get in to city centre Dublin and back though with two train stations in the one town and several Dublin bus routes running into it.

Celbridge has bus and train services but the train is a good distance outside of the town and you'd typically need to drive to it.

Newbridge is a busy enough town which seems to have plenty going for it of late (Cinemas, Theatre, nice walks near the Curragh etc). Transport wise you have the train and various bus services. Kildare Town has the train and various national bus services also but I think its started to increase cost wise in the past 2-3 years fairly significantly. You have the Kildare Village shopping centre there which is very popular.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not sure of your budget... but Greystones or Bray, both on the dart line & easy access to Dublin. North Wicklow is a great compromise, but can be equally as expensive as Dublin.

Thank you sooo much. I will check those out. I had a look at bray a while back as I like bray (my friend lives there). The house prices seem to be a bit mix and match lol.

With have a look at greystones and surrounding wicklow areas. Thank you :)

Best of luck with it.

Thank you. Also thanks again for your suggestions. I have fallen in love with bettystown and it is so far my number 1 now. The house prices are a bit more expensive than kildare so I would get less house for my budget but I would get a beautiful village and the beach instead. So thanks again :)

machalla wrote: »
    Maynooth is a good town with a decent social scene about it due to the University there. Lots of students which could be a blessing or a curse depending on your view. Its also on the train line with trains every half hour in and out.

Leixlip is similar but wouldn't have the same social scene as Maynooth. Its so close to Maynooth though it may not matter. Very easy to get in to city centre Dublin and back though with two train stations in the one town and several Dublin bus routes running into it.

Celbridge has bus and train services but the train is a good distance outside of the town and you'd typically need to drive to it.

Newbridge is a busy enough town which seems to have plenty going for it of late (Cinemas, Theatre, nice walks near the Curragh etc). Transport wise you have the train and various bus services. Kildare Town has the train and various national bus services also but I think its started to increase cost wise in the past 2-3 years fairly significantly. You have the Kildare Village shopping centre there which is very popular.

Thank you so much for those suggestions and descriptions it is very helpful. I will have a good nosey at each one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Whats the traffic like from Navan to Dublin in the mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Whats the traffic like from Navan to Dublin in the mornings?

One of the guys in our office just bought a motorbike because he was getting tired of the commute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement