Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department function outsourced.

Options
  • 12-04-2019 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

My wife has worked in the same, large, company for 28 years now. Is currently a manager.

Got called in yesterday and told that function is going to be outsourced. Most staff will be transferred, and retain their service, to the new service provider.

My wife was told that she is not going to new service provider or getting redundancy. Valued member of staff, key employee etc.

She will keep 1 or 2 of her tasks that she currently has. These tasks are not really part of the core function of her dept. They are sort of add ons that she's been asked to do over the years. They said they will also give her other work but role, title hasn't really been defined yet!

My wife feels that this is stage 1 of making her redundant or managing her out of company. I said if they wanted to do that they would have done it yesterday.

In a situation like this do they have to offer redundancy?
    What if she doesn't like or isn't able for new role/tasks?

I told her she needs to think over weekend and have plenty of questions ready in advance of the role defining chat next week.
    Thoughts?
    Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Agreed, if they wanted rid then it would have already happened, they clearly have an interest in retaining her.

I would keep an open mind about the new role, sometimes a change can be a good thing. That said, if most staff have now been either transferred of canned, the mid to long term outlook may not be great, along with the general mood in the office.

I'd be willing to hear them out or give it a go, but would also have in the back of my mind that it is time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are unlikely to get rid of her until the contractor is established.

Beware the risk of being fired, constructively dismissed, etc. to avoid paying redundancy. Stay squeaky clean and keep records.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds like they will keep her on and give her other similar duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Victor wrote: »

Beware the risk of being fired, constructively dismissed, etc. to avoid paying redundancy. Stay squeaky clean and keep records.

Really can't see this happening as she has an excellent track record and would be known in the company as a grafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Surely if the dept is being outsourced to a contractor and most staff are moving under TUPE, if they didn’t want her to stay they would have just transferred her?, it wouldn’t have cost anything and she would be off their payroll. Why would they need to manage her out or make her redundant in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Victor wrote: »

Beware of being 'constructively (sic) dismissed'? This is why you should never seek professional advice on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hoboo wrote: »
    Beware of being 'constructively (sic) dismissed'? This is why you should never seek professional advice on boards.
    How would you phrase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I feel more positively about this.

As a manager I want to keep my good staff.

It may be a case that I don't know what job to give them right now, but I'll figure something out.

I feel like your wife is in the "figure something out" stage right now.

It's really, really difficult to get good staff. So if your wife is as you say, a great worker, they will want to keep her.

Could she go for lunch with one of the decision makers to see what the situation is?

Has she made friends with any of the managers above her?

If not, I think this is an important step she needs to take.

I always make an effort to become friends with either the senior management (C level) or investors. It really really really really helps my career, and makes my job very secure.

Advertisement