Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I have 24 hours tariff with RM257 meter?

Options
  • 12-04-2019 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Good morning,

Yesterday one of your sales agent came by the house and switched me to EI.
    He explained everything and all the process went fine until we got to read the meter and he said that the meter was a Day/Night meter and he could not switch me to the Standard 24 hours tariff, it would have to be the Day/Night tariff.

I was very surprised by that because until now I was with Energia, and when I moved into the house last year we got bills from Airtricity and both were on the 24 hour tariff. I didn't even know that the meter could read Day and Night figures.

Anyway, he tried calling to your office to see what could be done but we were told that it would have to be the Day/Night tariff. That does not make sense to me, the meter has a button that circles between three readings: Total/Day/Night. I'm pretty sure Energia and Airtricity didn't have any problems just reading the Total figure and billing me for that, so I cannot comprehend why Electric Ireland can't do the same.

Could please confirm if I can get the 24 hours tariff? If not I'll just cancel the switch and just go with one of the others as I really don't spend that much electricity at night to justify the double tariff.

Thank you.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi txema, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

This sounds very unusual. A tarrif change from 24 hour to NightSaver (Day/Night) or vice versa usually requires a meter exchange. If you were advised that the meter is set as NightSaver, then your current supplier should be charging you as such.

We would need to check what ESB Networks have set the tariff as in order to advise you. ESB Networks maintain the electricity network and meters for all suppliers, including Electric Ireland. A supplier cannot make a change from 24 hour to NightSaver without first making an application to ESB Networks.

Could you please send us your MPRN and your address by private message? We can then advise you further.

Thanks, 
    Aoife

Advertisement